Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this helps people that are looking to save money on a wheel/tire upgrade. It took some time (waiting for the right price and right wheels/tires), a little work (really wasn’t difficult), and a little luck but I feel the final result speak for itself. This was a really fun experience for me and I learned a lot.

The wheels I found on offer up, they were not exactly the color I wanted (would have preferred black) but for the price they were hard to pass up. Luckily, to me, they look pretty good on the car. The person I bought them from said he had them on a Demo Car that went to SEMA and the wheels had about a mile on them as the car was towed to the show.

I found the tires on Offer up, they came off an outback that was on a lease. They had bought them for the look and were mainly used on the streets. They only had about 7,000 to 10,000 miles on them.

Yes, it is risky to buy used tires and you have to have a little “trust” in the person you are buying from and know what you are looking for on defects/problems with wheels or tires. Like I said in the title, this isn’t for everyone. The main things to look for on the tires are holes that have been patched on tires or rubber cracking on the tires. Also, Make sure they have enough tread on them, they sell tools at local auto parts stores to check tread. The main things to look for on wheels are scratches, curb rash, dents etc. Others can chime in on things to look for as I am no pro at this.

The Ascent is not an option in the Autel TPMS software, so I used the Outback model. I do not think it matters which one you choose, the software just needs to say its programming a 433mhz TPMS.

In order to have two sets of wheels where you can swap them for different environments you will need to clone the TPMS on the new wheels to the same ID as the ones on your original wheels. This allows you to swap whenever you want and the car will be able to read the TPMS on either set because they have the same ID. To clone the TPMS ID’s to the new Autel TPMS I used instructions from here:

I had issues with the rubber valve fitting on the Autel TPMS attaching them on the Method MR502 Wheels. The wheel valve hole was smaller than the rubber boot so it was ripping the rubber. The metal screw on ones would have worked better as they are two piece and they screw together through the hole on the wheel. I was able to use the valves I already had that came with the wheels and use the screw to mount the TPMS. The valves it comes with snap into the TPMS which is cool, they just didn’t work for me. Luckily the TPMS had a hole so I can use a screw to attach the TPMS to the valve. I will replace the valves if necessary to the metal ones on the next tire change.

Feel free to ask any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

$52 TPMS Programming Pad
$109 TPMS
$500 Method MR502 Wheels 17” 5.114.3 38mm offset – Used on Offer up
$500 BF Goodrich KO2 245/65/17 – Used on Offer up
$80 Tire install at local Big O Tires
$63 Gorilla Automotive 71623NBC Lugs 12mm x 1.25
$11 OPTIONAL Valve Puller tool – You only need this if you don’t have a tire shop install the valves
My Total $1,304
Optional Added Cost $11

$800 Method MR502 Wheels 17” 5.114.3 38mm offset
$644 BF Goodrich KO2 245/65/17
$320 New TPMS
$100 Tire install
$60 Lugs
Retail Total $1924 + Tax

Auto Valve Stem Puller/Installer with Rubber Boot
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K5NPH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gorilla Automotive 71623NBC
$63 amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0HM4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Autel MaxiTPMS Pad Programmer
$52 ebay
$67 amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Progra...-Sensor&qid=1553090077&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Autel TPMS (315mhz & 433mhz)

$109 ebay
$127 amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sen...rds=MX-Sensor&qid=1553090185&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
end result with the k02s looks sweet. how is the ride? noisy? squishy?

Was hoping the all in cost was more like 1200, didn't realize tpms are so pricey. can a shop do the cloning or is that something u have to do urself?

do all the method rims that say they will clear the brembo sti calipers work? i thought there were issues with that and only the liquid metal shadows worked at 17".

thanks,

I hope this helps people that are looking to save money on a wheel/tire upgrade. It took some time (waiting for the right price and right wheels/tires), a little work (really wasn’t difficult), and a little luck but I feel the final result speak for itself. This was a really fun experience for me and I learned a lot.

The wheels I found on offer up, they were not exactly the color I wanted (would have preferred black) but for the price they were hard to pass up. Luckily, to me, they look pretty good on the car. The person I bought them from said he had them on a Demo Car that went to SEMA and the wheels had about a mile on them as the car was towed to the show.

I found the tires on Offer up, they came off an outback that was on a lease. They had bought them for the look and were mainly used on the streets. They only had about 7,000 to 10,000 miles on them.

Yes, it is risky to buy used tires and you have to have a little “trust” in the person you are buying from and know what you are looking for on defects/problems with wheels or tires. Like I said in the title, this isn’t for everyone. The main things to look for on the tires are holes that have been patched on tires or rubber cracking on the tires. Also, Make sure they have enough tread on them, they sell tools at local auto parts stores to check tread. The main things to look for on wheels are scratches, curb rash, dents etc. Others can chime in on things to look for as I am no pro at this.

The Ascent is not an option in the Autel TPMS software, so I used the Outback model. I do not think it matters which one you choose, the software just needs to say its programming a 433mhz TPMS.

In order to have two sets of wheels where you can swap them for different environments you will need to clone the TPMS on the new wheels to the same ID as the ones on your original wheels. This allows you to swap whenever you want and the car will be able to read the TPMS on either set because they have the same ID. To clone the TPMS ID’s to the new Autel TPMS I used instructions from here:

I had issues with the rubber valve fitting on the Autel TPMS attaching them on the Method MR502 Wheels. The wheel valve hole was smaller than the rubber boot so it was ripping the rubber. The metal screw on ones would have worked better as they are two piece and they screw together through the hole on the wheel. I was able to use the valves I already had that came with the wheels and use the screw to mount the TPMS. The valves it comes with snap into the TPMS which is cool, they just didn’t work for me. Luckily the TPMS had a hole so I can use a screw to attach the TPMS to the valve. I will replace the valves if necessary to the metal ones on the next tire change.

Feel free to ask any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

$52 TPMS Programming Pad
$109 TPMS
$500 Method MR502 Wheels 17” 5.114.3 38mm offset – Used on Offer up
$500 BF Goodrich KO2 245/65/17 – Used on Offer up
$80 Tire install at local Big O Tires
$63 Gorilla Automotive 71623NBC Lugs 12mm x 1.25
$11 OPTIONAL Valve Puller tool – You only need this if you don’t have a tire shop install the valves
My Total $1,304
Optional Added Cost $11

$800 Method MR502 Wheels 17” 5.114.3 38mm offset
$644 BF Goodrich KO2 245/65/17
$320 New TPMS
$100 Tire install
$60 Lugs
Retail Total $1924 + Tax

Auto Valve Stem Puller/Installer with Rubber Boot
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K5NPH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gorilla Automotive 71623NBC
$63 amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0HM4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Autel MaxiTPMS Pad Programmer
$52 ebay
$67 amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Progra...-Sensor&qid=1553090077&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Autel TPMS (315mhz & 433mhz)

$109 ebay
$127 amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sen...rds=MX-Sensor&qid=1553090185&s=gateway&sr=8-5

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
end result with the k02s looks sweet. how is the ride? noisy? squishy?

Was hoping the all in cost was more like 1200, didn't realize tpms are so pricey. can a shop do the cloning or is that something u have to do urself?

do all the method rims that say they will clear the brembo sti calipers work? i thought there were issues with that and only the liquid metal shadows worked at 17".

thanks,
Ride is OK, definitely noisy. I dont feel that its squishy though

I was pretty darn close to that 1200 lol but a ~$600 savings is great.

TPMS are pricey, they are crazy. Shops can do the cloning but that is an added cost of course :)

Not all method rims work. MR501 did not work according to Robert on the forum. There are definitely other 17" rims that work. You will need to search the forums for a list.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the Autel MaxiTPMS Pad Programmer able to read the IDs of the TPMS in the OEM Subaru wheels, or can it only read other Autel TPMS sensors?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.