Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was just updating my signature, and got to thinking.... how many Subaru's have you owned?

I've never owned anything but a Subaru. Funny to think back to some of the dumb shit I've done with some of these cars.
Starting 20 years ago when I was 16...

1996 Impreza L - Aegean Blue Pearl, 5MT
1993 Impreza Brighton Coupe - Hunter Green Metallic, 5MT
2006 Impreza Outback Sport - Hunter Green Metallic / Slate Metallic, 5MT
2006 Legacy 2.5i Limited - Atlantic Blue Pearl, 4EAT
2005 Outback 3.0R Sedan - Atlantic Blue Pearl, 5EAT
2015 Crosstrek Limited - Tangerine Orange Pearl, CVT
2016 Crosstrek Limited - Dark Gray Metallic, CVT
2020 Ascent Limited - Magnetite Gray Metallic, CVT

And I still miss that Outback 3.0R. That thing was a beast!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Counting the Ascent- 2.
Got by with a motorcycle throughout college. Later, I had a great Tacoma that had an unfortunate encounter with some black ice on the interstate. Then bought a new 2007 Forester Sports XT five speed manual transmission. 12 good years with the Forester before switching to the Ascent for the extra seating.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On our 8th Subaru -- all purchased new except for 1992 SVX); Quite a variety of Subies -- we've had seven 4-cylinder engines, one 6 cylinder. two manual transmissions, two CVT's and four conventional automatic transmissions, six normally aspirated (NA) engines and two turbo-charged, one front wheel drive (FWD) and seven all wheel drive;
  1. 1985 GL Wagon (4 cyl, MT, NA. FWD)
  2. 1992 SVX (6 cyl., AT, NA, AWD)
  3. 1995 Legacy Wagon (4 cyl., AT, NA, AWD)
  4. 2000 Outback (4 cyl., AT, NA, AWD)
  5. 2008 WRX (4 cyl., MT, Turbo, AWD)
  6. 2011 Outback (4 cyl., CVT, NA, AWD)
  7. 2012 Forester (4 cyl., AT, NA, AWD)
  8. 2019 Ascent (4 cyl., CVT, Turbo, AWD)
In the thirty four years of driving our Subies (well over 500,000 miles and the only significant problem we've had was a timing belt failure at 52,000 miles on our first Subaru in 1985.

Currently my wife drives the new Ascent and I drive the 2011 Outback. I won't have a car without AWD and Subaru is renowned for its AWD systems. Our 2019 Ascent is our first with Eyesight and that is now another essential must-have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1. 2005 Outback XT, Great car, fun to drive, but old folks color that we choose. Bought demo car from dealer. (Wife's Car)
2. 2008 Tribeca, great car for the price (purchased used) (Wife's Car)
3.2010 Legacy GT, still have it and really like it. Purchased CPO (Mine)
4. 2020 Ascent Touring - Our first 'new' car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Professor Dr. SWMBO had a 1980s GL of some sort and I forget what came after that because I hadn't met her yet. Then there was a red Forester in the late 1990s I helped her acquire to get her out of a nasty little coupe thingie she was driving. She went off the reservation for a bit with a PT Cruiser (short lived...what a pig!), a 2002 Prius and an 2008 Prius. Back to Subaru with a 2011 Outback Limited (which our younger daughter now drives) and a 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight. I took delivery of an Ascent in May to replace the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit I drove for over 7 years (loved it!) which was preceded by a 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited and a 2000 Tundra. We are all Subaru now with three in the driveway and will very likely remain Subaru for as long as we are still driving. (I'm 62 and she's 60)

·
Registered
631 Posts
5 in the last 10 years. Loved everyone one of them. WRX was my favorite, though now I have an 88 Mustang - race track prepped for my high HP screaming fun. Love my Ascent and both Outbacks were great too. Would still have my Outback if it towed 5,000 lbs like the Ascent!

·
Registered
462 Posts
For the wifey and I, we're on our 9th.

Started with her WRX (4EAT sedan) in May, 2005. We were expecting our daughter, then, and we wanted something safe (and with enough power to get out of its own way), with AWD.

I followed about 3 months later, fully intent on walking out of the dealer with a 5MT WRX wagon of the same MY, but a chance test-drive in their "executive demo" vehicle - a 5 MT 2005 Legacy 2.5GT - had me making an offer on that very vehicle as soon as I stepped out of the car. It didn't take long before I started playing with the car's plumbing, and my 2.5GT ended up being one of the first in the area to receive an ECUTeK dyno tune. I had planned to update it with a larger turbo when I crossed the 60K threshoold on the odo, but lifestyle changes meant that I needed a different type of vehicle altogether as a daily-driver. Both my daughter and I were really sad to see that little car go.

In the meantime, my wife moved from her WRX to an '09 Forester XT and then a '13 FXT Touring. It was at this time that I also started leasing my daily-driver, with a switch to a '13 Tribeca from the 2.5GT.

I thought I'd hate the Tribeca, but I came to love it. Whether it was due to the lifestyle changes we had at the time coloring my feelings (we got our first dog, and my daughter and nephews were late-toddlers and we'd started taking a lot of family trips together), I don't know, but I really came to love that vehicle. With the the flat-6, I didn't even really miss my 2.5GT all that much.

In 2016, my wife stepped into a WRX CVT, while I transitioned to our then 7th Subaru, an Outback 2.5i Limited. I didn't really want the bigger monthly payment that a 3.6R would have brought, and thought that I could offset the get-up-and-go and smoothness of the flat-6 with the nice tech tidbits that the Limited offered. While this OB did marveously well in terms of what little soft-roading/off-roading that I needed it to do as a part of my hobby, I did find the lack of "go" to be more than just a little annoying. And it is with this complaint that I stepped into the dealership at around this time last year, looking to come out with a '19 Outback, 3.6R Touring.

Instead, I found the Ascent. :) And here I am!

The wifey's '16 WRX CVT was updated last February with yet another WRX CVT. She's never loved any of her cars before: the '16 changed that, so she was adamant that she wanted another WRX to replace the one going off-lease.

Counting my in-laws, we're actually on our 13th Subaru, combined.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first Subaru was a 1995 WRX I picked up when I lived in Japan for a few years. I really miss that car.

When I got back stateside, I eventually bought a 2009 Legacy 2.5i, which was a really good car. After having our first child, my wife and I traded in the Legacy for a 2015 Forester 2.5i for a little more size. 75k miles on the Forester and not one single issue. My only regret with both of those cars was not getting the 3.0R/2.5GT and 2.0XT respectively.

When we had our second child 4 months ago, we decided to go for a 3rd row SUV. I've never really had blind loyalty with brands, so I shopped around, Ascent, Atlas, Telluride, Highlander, Palisade. The Ascent seemed to be our best fit, but I was really concerned that a 4-cylinder would be underpowered. My first test drive put that concern at ease.

Subaru has the best AWD platform. That is what ultimately keeps me coming back. Year round traveling is important to my family and I and we often find ourselves in situations (snow, ice, heavy rain, forest roads) where having an AWD vehicle is really nice and sometimes necessary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Soon will have Subaru #2 when the Ascent Premium gets delivered. Have a 2018 Crosstrek Premium now that has been perfect for 22K miles. I want to get my wife a Legacy Sport once her daily driver dies. I have owned so many all wheel and 4wd drive vehicles over the last 35 years and I do like Subaru's AWD system the best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got my first one - 2019 Ascent Limited just over a week ago.
Came from a Tacoma I had bout new 14 years ago and thought for sure I’d end up in another Toyota as I loved the truck and had no issues until just recently. But the Ascent just blew me away with the ride and power.
Wife is already eyeing a crosstrek when it’s time to replace her Prius.

·
Registered
151 Posts
2005 Outback (sold)
2011 Impreza WRX (still own)
2001 Forester (still own)
2020 Ascent Limited (obviously still own)

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is my first. 2019 Ascent Premium. Oddly enough I lived in Seattle for 5 years where Subarus are aplenty and didn't buy one. Now that I'm in Georgia which is mostly flat and RARELY snows, well, here I am. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts