Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering ordering a set for my Ascent, but have heard these end up doing more harm than good in the long run because they collect water, sand, and dirt and keep it pressed up against your paint. Thoughts/Opinions?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I ordered a set to try to keep my kids from chipping the door-edge paint... They haven't arrived yet, however. I do already have clear-mask on the door edges, so hoping these install over those.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a set to try to keep my kids from chipping the door-edge paint... They haven't arrived yet, however. I do already have clear-mask on the door edges, so hoping these install over those.
Yeah, I scratched/chipped the door edge paint myself this past weekend. I was considering door edge guards, but I'm leaning towards just grabbing some touch-up paint and applying that. Then, just being a little more careful. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Find a shop that applies the ClearBra/Stone Chip. Have them apply a strip to the edge of each door.

On our cars we have this applied to:
Front of hood, part way up the hood
Any Flat Ares on the Grille
Behind each wheel (where grit/stones would be thrown up)
Back side of mirrors
Some vehicles, we have it applied to the front roof line
Edge of doors (All doors)

This looks much better on the doors than an edge guard. The newer films are much thinner and hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We got door edge guards. They look good and serve there purpose. My Impreza is beat to **** from the old Tribeca from the kids getting in and out. But 3 car garage fixed that.

Reactions: Patrick G.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had them on my 2012 Outback and they were great. Saved a lot of chips and dings. I had them installed on my new Ascent, as well. You might want to consider the fact that the Ascent's doors open at even wider angles than most other/previous vehicles, and the possibility of getting the edges dinged are now much higher. Just my $.02's worth :)

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anybody install a non-Subaru door edge guards? I'm looking for something that will protect the car next to me as much as my car door edge. Our garage is a bit tight and my 12/14 year olds don't always think first. The OEM guards look pretty but they don't appear soft (made out of stainless I think), and will chip paint on the car they hit. I really don't want the clear models you can find on-line (dirt and junk gets between them).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Find a shop that applies the ClearBra/Stone Chip. Have them apply a strip to the edge of each door.

On our cars we have this applied to:
Front of hood, part way up the hood
Any Flat Ares on the Grille
Behind each wheel (where grit/stones would be thrown up)
Back side of mirrors
Some vehicles, we have it applied to the front roof line
Edge of doors (All doors)

This looks much better on the doors than an edge guard. The newer films are much thinner and hardly noticeable.
No need to spend a lot of money. You can easily do it yourself for less than $10 with 3M Clear Door Edge Protection Film. Takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No need to spend a lot of money. You can easily do it yourself for less than $10 with 3M Clear Door Edge Protection Film. Takes about 10 minutes.
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks interesting but I'm skeptical it'll do anything more than protect the edge of my door. I'd think it would need to be a rubber/plastic material of some thickness to prevent my door from chipping paint on somebody else's door.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just picked my Ascent up from having these and other accessories added. The edge guards do not cover the length of the painted edge. In fact, they are quite short. I think maybe I got ones from the wrong model of car or something, so I emailed to ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts