Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
My first tank i was up to 23 on the fourth of july when we put about 100 miles on it, most of it highway, but since its dropped to around 20 with mostly around town driving. Only 600 miles so far and just put my 3rd tank of gas in it.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
I'm just hitting an average of 23mpg, and still slowly increasing. I am at 2300 miles so far. Give it 5,000 miles or so...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a question. Are you all basing your MPG based upon the car's computer system or are you putting pen to paper and doing the hard math? If you are not doing the hard math, it may be worth trying. If you are seeing something different when you take your trip miles and divide it by your gallons to fill than what the computer is reading, it simply could be something with the calibration in the system. Now if you put paper to pen and are actually getting teens, the question becomes Why? I am not sure why, but about every 3-4 fills, I run manual numbers to compare against my cars trip calculations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a question. Are you all basing your MPG based upon the car's computer system or are you putting pen to paper and doing the hard math? If you are not doing the hard math, it may be worth trying. If you are seeing something different when you take your trip miles and divide it by your gallons to fill than what the computer is reading, it simply could be something with the calibration in the system. Now if you put paper to pen and are actually getting teens, the question becomes Why? I am not sure why, but about every 3-4 fills, I run manual numbers to compare against my cars trip calculations.
1800 miles on our Ascent and the last tank was 25.3 but doing the math it is 24.4 mpg. 410 mi, 16.8 gal.

·
Registered
494 Posts

As of right now, I'm just going off of the what the car says because I havent filled up yet. But when I do, I'll be doing the hard math and comparing how off it is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1800 miles on our Ascent and the last tank was 25.3 but doing the math it is 24.4 mpg. 410 mi, 16.8 gal.
Sadly, your computer is actually calculating high. I was hoping that for some people, it would be the other way around, to show that the Ascent is getting the mileage that it is supposed to and that something in the software for the car's system is off. The company I work for happens to build spraying equipment and we work with a lot of electronic flowmeters. If the software is off slightly or the meter is not putting out the appropriate signal for it's output calibration is off. I was hoping this was simply a software adjustment.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Me thinks thouist might have a touch of the foot of lead ... One thing I hate is watching my average MPG drop after hammering it for a minute or two ... it does seem to really suck the gas when you get on it.
You want the green bars to move to the left ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Always the math as I keep track in an app called "Simply Auto" then manually enter them on Fuelly.

Here is a link to all the Ascent vehicles on Fuelly.

If you want to see mine in particular you can view this one.

·
Registered
245 Posts

So...If you're doing the hard math...does it make sense to use the mile markers as your baseline for mileage as well...or a known route (e.g. home to work is 20 miles)?
I'm only saying this because if your trip computer in the Ascent isn't calibrated, chances are that the odometer isn't calibrated as well...no?

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
So...If you're doing the hard math...does it make sense to use the mile markers as your baseline for mileage as well...or a known route (e.g. home to work is 20 miles)?
I'm only saying this because if your trip computer in the Ascent isn't calibrated, chances are that the odometer isn't calibrated as well...no?
Different systems and different sensors (though the data is likely used together for the mpg and range calculations).

That doesn't mean that one or both of them might not be off, but it is least likely to be the odometer/speedometer sensors and calculations.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would highly doubt that the speedometer and odometer would be out of calibration, but anything is possible. When I have wanted to verify my odometer I generally get to a state highway or interstate and check it against the markers for a few miles. With the restrictions on title changes and everything, I would highly doubt that a manufacturer would release a vehicle without the odometer that is accurate.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts