Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a few weeks shopping around like many of you, and I was able to find a dealer to discount a Limited from MSRP 39,970 to 36,900. They had an incoming model that fit the bill and I placed a deposit down and I was emailed all payment/lease info confirming the details. Wife and I were very excited to have this locked down, and we were literally counting the days down to delivery.

Fast forward 7 days. Dealer called me this morning and said that there was a mistake and that they could not honor the cost because the sales agent was not authorized to give this deal??? Really?, I was on the phone multiple times with the sales rep, and I heard him say "let me run this by our manager" at almost every call. Needless to say, Im very disappointed and after speaking with the GM, they changed their offer to 1500.00 off MSRP (38,340). They won't budget any further because according to them that they can't sell the car for less, because of the limited availability.

I'm still really upset that Im going through all of this again, especially after we had pre-negotatied the deal and it was the only reason why I put a down payment.

Im leasing and it basically works out to a 10.00 increase, does that sound right (3500.00 down, 36 months @ 12k miles annual 466.00 to 476.00 tax included). I know it sounds minimal, but Im already stretched thin on the budget.

What do you guys think? Who cares and move on? Or are the lease numbers high and I should reconsider starting over? Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you have a signed contract? If so, they are legally obligated to honor it. The fact that someone else may be willing to pay more is not a valid reason to cancel a contract.

The pricing you agreed to is similar to the quotes I received. Demand has been stronger than anticipated and your dealer is simply trying to make a few extra bucks. My advise is to not let them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you are stretched thin on a budget I would personally not get into a lease. Or do a cheaper lease that you are more comfortable with.
The dealer should not get away with shady practices either way. Maybe we should start a shafy dealer thread like the brz forum has?

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
96 Posts
I spent a few weeks shopping around like many of you, and I was able to find a dealer to discount a Limited from MSRP 39,970 to 36,900.

Fast forward 7 days. Dealer changed their offer to 1500.00 off MSRP (38,340).

Im leasing and it basically works out to a 10.00 increase, does that sound right (3500.00 down, 36 months @ 12k miles annual 466.00 to 476.00 tax included). I know it sounds minimal, but Im already stretched thin on the budget.
No, that does not sound right. Net increase in price of $1,570 works out to be a lot more than $10 per month.

Difference in pricing: $3,070 - $1,500 = $1570/36 months = $43.61 per month plus your interest rate. Residual would not change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd walk away, but I'm lucky enough to have a number of Subaru dealerships within an hour drive. Even if I couldn't find someone else to get it down to that $36,900 price I wouldn't buy for a place that pulled an offer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Definitely walk away. There are better dealers out there than these old dinosaurs. I negotiated my deal with a dealer 4 hours away, and it worked out better than I could of ever expected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you are stretched thin on a budget I would personally not get into a lease. Or do a cheaper lease that you are more comfortable with.
The dealer should not get away with shady practices either way. Maybe we should start a shafy dealer thread like the brz forum has?
I can afford it, but I set the original budget number to keep myself from splurging too much on doodads that I could live without. This car is purely a people mover for me when I can't fit the family into 2 of our existing cars.

Sounds like the consensus is to walk, but my only apprehension is that finding one in stock with the package color combo has been difficult, and this one is due into the dealer next week. Also, most dealers within 200 miles of me are doing MSRP, or costco price at best (but all of those need to be ordered)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, that does not sound right. Net increase in price of $1,570 works out to be a lot more than $10 per month.

Difference in pricing: $3,070 - $1,500 = $1570/36 months = $43.61 per month plus your interest rate. Residual would not change.
I too thought the math was off but this is what they have sent to me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can afford it, but I set the original budget number to keep myself from splurging too much on doodads that I could live without. This car is purely a people mover for me when I can't fit the family into 2 of our existing cars.

Sounds like the consensus is to walk, but my only apprehension is that finding one in stock with the package color combo has been difficult, and this one is due into the dealer next week. Also, most dealers within 200 miles of me are doing MSRP, or costco price at best (but all of those need to be ordered)

IF you are set on the Ascent (I can't blame you), let me ask you this. Do you need a new car right now or can you wait a few months? If you can wait, I would recommend finding a dealer that accepts Subaru VIP pricing on the Ascent. This gives you a no-haggle price that is good for purchasing or leasing. You are also still eligible for any Subaru financing or leasing deals they have at the time. You may have to order one, or in our case, we were fortunate to find a dealer ordered Ascent that closely matched what we wanted, so we got ours in less than 25 days.

If you go to this link https://www.subaru.com/why-subaru/partnerships.html, you can see the organizations Subaru partners with. In our case, we donated to the ASPCA and they sent a letter to Subaru VIP Program. The VIP program then asked us for the dealer we wanted to go through and they sent us and the dealer the authorized form. We were able to purchase our Ascent for 2% below invoice, saving us nearly $4000 on our Touring model AND not having to negotiate the price. Additionally, Subaru donated another $100 to the ASPCA after our purchase. Just another option if you don't need a new vehicle right away.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I spent a few weeks shopping around like many of you, and I was able to find a dealer to discount a Limited from MSRP 39,970 to 36,900. They had an incoming model that fit the bill and I placed a deposit down and I was emailed all payment/lease info confirming the details. Wife and I were very excited to have this locked down, and we were literally counting the days down to delivery.

Fast forward 7 days. Dealer called me this morning and said that there was a mistake and that they could not honor the cost because the sales agent was not authorized to give this deal??? Really?, I was on the phone multiple times with the sales rep, and I heard him say "let me run this by our manager" at almost every call. Needless to say, Im very disappointed and after speaking with the GM, they changed their offer to 1500.00 off MSRP (38,340). They won't budget any further because according to them that they can't sell the car for less, because of the limited availability.

I'm still really upset that Im going through all of this again, especially after we had pre-negotatied the deal and it was the only reason why I put a down payment.

What do you guys think? Who cares and move on? Or are the lease numbers high and I should reconsider starting over? Appreciate the input.

Shady situations like this make us good dealerships look bad. $1,500 off msrp is still a pretty good deal compared to what the average person is paying. People on here are the cream of the crop as far as pricing discount go.

The payment adjustment is the weird part. An average lease will adjust $25-$35 for every $1000. Your payment should have gone up by about $45. But there is more to a lease than just dollars. The money factor (interest rate) and residuals have changed since they quoted you the original payment. They didn't change much, but still the change happened. Also, the dealership may have been charging you tier 3 or 4 money factors originally instead of the tier 1 they are quoting you now, trying to save face.

There are a lot of things that could be going on, but the bottom line is do you want the car or not? Do you need the car right now or can you wait? We all have our opinions, but your opinion is the only one that matters.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Shady situations like this make us good dealerships look bad. $1,500 off msrp is still a pretty good deal compared to what the average person is paying. People on here are the cream of the crop as far as pricing discount go.

The payment adjustment is the weird part. An average lease will adjust $25-$35 for every $1000. Your payment should have gone up by about $45. But there is more to a lease than just dollars. The money factor (interest rate) and residuals have changed since they quoted you the original payment. They didn't change much, but still the change happened. Also, the dealership may have been charging you tier 3 or 4 money factors originally instead of the tier 1 they are quoting you now, trying to save face.

There are a lot of things that could be going on, but the bottom line is do you want the car or not? Do you need the car right now or can you wait? We all have our opinions, but your opinion is the only one that matters.
The $1500 off is a good deal, but I just wouldn’t ever trust that dealer again. If they do that for a sale imagine what they may do for a repair? Does this paint a broad brush? Sure does, but those little slights can add up to a lot.

Once my wife negotiated a deal on a new car at a local dealership (non-Subaru) over the phone. It was maybe $250 cheaper than the competitors. When she went to pick it up she noticed there were over 2000 miles disclosed in the paperwork. They were trying to pawn a demo car off on her without disclosing it except for where it was checked in the stack of paperwork. At that point we both just got up and walked out and still will never do business with the entire family of dealers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts