Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use meguiars ultimate liquid wax or prefer which one ?

Reactions: TheRaven

·
Registered
18 Posts
I currently use Adams products, it’s a Colorado company, easy to use.
I first use Revive Hand Polish, and finish with their Buttery Wax.
I’ve used Zaino products in the past, also very good, both products can be ordered on line.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anothervite for Adams products but use their sealant as it will last months compared to a wax. Think of wax being for show cars and a sealant being to protect your finish against the elements for an extended period of time. It’s the middle runner between a ceramic finish and wax.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We have a Crystal White as well (wife's vehicle). I used Mother's Synthetic Mothers® California Gold® Synthetic Wax as I have had good experience with it on other vehicles. For a well priced product, it seems to last a while (won't last as long as sealants, etc)

I've used other Mequiars products on other vehicles in the past as well.

My son who is away at college, worked 60 hours a week over the summer in a car detailing shop, and will be likely talking to him more when he is home over Christmas break. I know he likes the Chemical Guys Jet Seal, and some other similar products. May have to get him to do some of that on it when he is home.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you're not going to go with a ceramic coating and wish instead to use a conventional coating, then go with a polymer product rather than wax. Polymers are significantly easier to apply and generally last much longer than wax. They also look great.

There are a lot of good polymers out there but please let me save you many hours of research like I had to do and recommend one of the very best: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. If you do choose to do the research, you'll see this product recommended over and over again.

I've tried many polymers and this one is the best in my opinion. Yes, it's a bit expensive at $40, but one bottle will last you many years. One coating will last 3-5 months. It's very easy to apply and gives great protection and incredible shine. Try it, you'll love it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I 2nd wolfgang 3.0.
Don't waste you time with most auto store waxes unless you like the process and only looking for a month or so of protection.

Below are steps recommend for prepping and protection new car paint for up to 6 months...longer then have a ceramic coating applied although they tend to leave behind more water spots.
If you are just looking for a little extra pop and some protection then just wash and apply Wolfgang.

-2 bucket wash in shade with warm water with soap that doesn't contain any protectants like Meguiars Deep Crystal.
-Let car dry and mist on a product like CarPro Iron X and let sit until it looks like it's run it's coarse then apply another light coating and let it sit again....no longer than about 10min. Any iron contaminants should turn purple and breakdown and then be able to be washed off. Make sure to hose car down well after this treatment.
-Test paint with a ziplock bag for any roughness, if found use a product like Mothers Speed Clay/Griot's Synthetic Clay with Deep Crystal as the lubricant. Use very light pressure until paint is smooth and make sure to keep it well lubed.
-Check for any marring and if needed use a compound like FG400 or M105 to correct it. Polish is usually never needed if compound is used properly.
-Apply a wax a tar remover like Rustoleum Wax&Tar Remover to prep the paint for best sealant adhesion. Some use an IPA like CarPro eraser, but some claim it could swell the paint over time and wax and tar remover is a safer option. Although it's seems anything below a 15% IPA is safe for softer clearcoats like the ones used on Japanese cars.
-Use a sealant like Jescar or Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 sealant and let cure followed up with Collinite Insulator Wax#845 if you want to really blow your socks off.
-To seal the windows/wheels and interior panels you can use Ultima Paint Protection plus or Opti-Seal. It's a spray with a light wipe and walk away type product lasts 2-4 months on windows and wheels and much longer on interior panels.
-For upkeep use Ultima Waterless Wash or Wolfgang Uber Rinse in a garden sprayer to spray on and wipe off to keep it paint clean. If very dirty bucket wash with Deep Crystal.
-Every few months apply another coat of 845 and every about 6 months prep paint and apply another coat of sealant like Jescar or Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0

·
Registered
542 Posts
Meguiars Ultimate Wax and Meguiars Fast Finish in between.

The ease of application and removal is worth it, protection up to par with the stuff I used to use (Zaino).

·
Registered
932 Posts
Griot's has been excellent, though certainly not the cheapest option. I also used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 with great results!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm a big Fan of McKees37 High Def Paint Sealant.

https://www.mckees37.com/gloss-paint-sealant.html

Another awesome, super easy to apply synthetic product is Mckees37 Hydro Blue Sio2 Coating. Application is as easy as spraying on a clean wet car, then rinsing off with a hose. You get good gloss and protection with little effort.

https://www.mckees37.com/hydro-blue-coating.html

As others have said, for a daily driver (or for most vehicles per my preference) a synthetic sealant or paint coating is the best option to get long lasting protection.

Reactions: MAGNUMB

·
Registered
684 Posts
used Zaino for 10+ years and like it a lot
tried Adams for almost 2 years .. did not like it
back Zaino for 3 years
now trying CarPro (Cquartz Ceramic, etc..) like it

·
Registered
225 Posts
I switched to Pinnacle and use a few Meguiars products and get a kick when I watch tiny water beads form on my hood and then join on turns and roll off. I did a 4 hour process when I got the car in July/Aug.

I used their Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion, then used Meguiars M21 synthetic sealer, and topped it all off with the Pinnacle Souveran Car Wax. Great shine and protection on the Ascent. Dirt just flies and rinses off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been using Collinite 845 for over 10 years.
Yup, this is the best one I have ever used. I only do my cars once a year with it, and does a really good job of protecting my paint job. Salt, dirt, dust, bird poop, etc, washes off easily. Other waxes I have used don't last that long.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
I have to chuckle a little here...I haven't put wax or other coatings on a vehicle since about the 1980s with no ill effects. (and also use the commercial car wash) I do use the Meguier's polishing products (not wax) on my guitar projects however for buffing. Good stuff!

Reactions: pdxeca

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
89 Posts
I put a coat of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax on months ago. The Ascent goes through the car wash once or twice a week. It puts a nice gloss on it and water beads now like it did when first applied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts