Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lets contribute to what to check before you sign in on your ascent.

• Tire pressure 33 to 35 psi (buton)
  • Moon Roof moves on and off (buton)
  • Moon roof scratches (buton)
  • AC working on all zones (buton)
  • Seats moves on all directions (buton)
  • Memory on seats working (buton)
  • test every usb charging port (buton)
  • test all cameras (buton)
  • Paint problems (buton)
  • Doors seals - flat or ripped (kathytn)
  • Any scratches on Infotainment screen (kathytn)
  • All Key Fobs working (kathytn)
  • Second row door opens okay (kathytn)
  • Check all window mechanisms to ensure they operate (up & down or forward and backward /tilt for the sunroof) (crowdc)
  • Headliner (odd but open all the doors and hatch to be sure) (crowdc)
  • Check the engine bay, make sure nothing is rolling around (crowdc)
  • Lights - check headlight hi and low beams, fogs and all interior lights (crowdc)
  • Glove box - make sure owners manual is in there, as well as other necessary manuals (crowdc)
  • Lug Nuts - make sure all are accounted for (crowdc)
  • Lug Nuts - make sure wheel lock key is accounted for if you got locking wheel nuts (Robert.Mauro)
  • Heated/cooled items - check the heated seats that they work for all the seats that have them; including the steering wheel (crowdc)
  • Scratches on the leading edges of the roof racks (front covers). (Rgashton)
  • Hitch receiver and brake connector/harness (if you got a hitch installed at port) (Rgashton)
  • Screw driver and other tire tools are in/under the trunk area (that they're not missing) (Rgashton)
  • Trim panels securely attached (Robert.Mauro)

·
Registered
74 Posts

• Tire pressure 33 to 35 psi
  • Moon Roof moves on and off
  • Moon roof scratches
  • AC working on all zones
  • Seats moves on all directions
  • Memory on sits working
  • test every usb charging port
  • test all cameras
  • Paint problems
Good information. Thank you.

·
Registered
566 Posts

• Moon roof scratches
  • Memory on sits working
  • test all cameras
  • Paint problems

Thanks, you have a few that weren't on my list!!! Add:

Doors seals - flat or ripped
Any scratches on Infotainment screen
All Key Fobs working
Second row door opens okay
Check Date on tires

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

• Moon roof scratches
  • Memory on sits working
  • test all cameras
  • Paint problems
May I have permission to update your original post with new suggestions so that the first post has the whole list?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Date on tires?
Not relevant this time around, but in general, there's a suggestion to make sure that your tire isn't old stock that's been sitting deteriorating on a shelf for ten years.

In this case, this is a brand new tire series, and it's pretty impossible to get old tires. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I personally would just look for damage/scratches. Everything else is covered by the warranty. If you have a dent or scratch somewhere on the vehicle that you noticed after you drove off the lot there's no way you can prove that you were not responsible for it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know this may seem odd.
Roll down all the windows and inspect the top of the glass. This is more important with the newer laminated glass. I took delivery on a car on January 3rd (not a Subaru - keep in mind this is in Minnesota...cold). Around January 11th, I went to the bank drive through the make a deposit for work and rolled down the window. I noticed that it had a chip on the top edge. Contacted the dealer and they stated it must have been something I did and should turn it into my insurance company. I explained that this is a company owned vehicle and our insurance provider does not cover glass on commercially owned vehicles and also reminded them it had been below zero since taking delivery - not great weather for driving around with the windows open. They still blamed me, offered no concessions - have not been on their property since and between my business, me and my wife have purchased 6 new vehicles since. Yes, I am salty, can you tell?

The laminated glass appears to be made up of 3 layers and on the vehicles that have had it, you can see the layers at the top of the glass and the inner and outer layers can chip away fairly easy. We had some chipping on the top of the glass on another vehicle as well over time, not sure what caused it.

This like the paint is one of those things that once you take possession of it, you would have a difficult time proving it was that way.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I personally would just look for damage/scratches. Everything else is covered by the warranty. If you have a dent or scratch somewhere on the vehicle that you noticed after you drove off the lot there's no way you can prove that you were not responsible for it.

I disagree with you on this. Who wants to take time off to go sit at a dealership while they repair or fix one thing after another as you discover it? And, who's to say they will not blame it on you? Your key fob doesn't work? That's no scratch or dent - but could very well be blamed on you. Do you want to discover the back side door doesn't open as your baby is sitting there in the car seat in an emergency? The door was a problem with MANY people here on the site. Door seals flat or ripped - once again "your fault".

Additionally, many people on this site have mentioned living quite a distance from a dealership so check lists like this are very helpful.

I look forward to any other additions to the list that people have.

·
Registered
411 Posts
* Check all window mechanisms to ensure they operate (up & down or forward and backward /tilt for the sunroof)
* Headliner (odd but open all the doors and hatch to be sure)
* Check the engine bay, make sure nothing is rolling around
* Lights - check headlight hi and low beams, fogs and all interior lights
* Glove box - make sure owners manual is in there, as well as other necessary manuals
* Lug Nuts - make sure all are accounted for (again odd, friend had a 70k truck missing one, and the dealer was being a butt head about replacing it)
* Heated/cooled items - check the heated seats that they work for all the seats that have them; including the steering wheel

Literally press EVERY button and make sure it does what it's supposed to do. I honestly plan on taking an hour or two to make sure stuff is where it is supposed to be

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tire suggestion is a good one. I didn't do that at first. It was set at 44 and I had to get them down to 33.
I also ordered the footwell illumination kit on the limited. I didn't notice it at first, but only the drivers side is lit up. (not very bright blue in my opinion). Nothing in the passenger side. I followed the wires over and noticed the light terminated in the glove box so that was blue. I'm assuming they routed it wrong and will need to go back to service to route that light to the footwell and guessing the glove box is a white light.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Scratches on the leading edges of the roof racks (front covers).

Scuffs on inside moon roof frame (might have already been mentioned)

Hitch receiver and brake connector/harness (if you got a hitch installed at port)

Screw driver in/under the trunk area (I think someone had mentioned they were missing theirs)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know this may seem odd.
Roll down all the windows and inspect the top of the glass. This is more important with the newer laminated glass. I took delivery on a car on January 3rd (not a Subaru - keep in mind this is in Minnesota...cold). Around January 11th, I went to the bank drive through the make a deposit for work and rolled down the window. I noticed that it had a chip on the top edge. Contacted the dealer and they stated it must have been something I did and should turn it into my insurance company. I explained that this is a company owned vehicle and our insurance provider does not cover glass on commercially owned vehicles and also reminded them it had been below zero since taking delivery - not great weather for driving around with the windows open. They still blamed me, offered no concessions - have not been on their property since and between my business, me and my wife have purchased 6 new vehicles since. Yes, I am salty, can you tell?

The laminated glass appears to be made up of 3 layers and on the vehicles that have had it, you can see the layers at the top of the glass and the inner and outer layers can chip away fairly easy. We had some chipping on the top of the glass on another vehicle as well over time, not sure what caused it.

This like the paint is one of those things that once you take possession of it, you would have a difficult time proving it was that way.
Why are we (Subaru owners)always too nice to mention the dealers name? What happened to you are facts and the dealer should be held accountable for their poor customer service....Share their name and possibly save others the headaches of dealing with them.....You owe them nothing......
And when we(Subaru owners) experience great customer service we should share that also....I think the number of good experiences will greatly outnumber the poor experiences...:grin:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Definitely take time to look at the roof. My car had some left over adhesive from the wrap they use stuck to the hood. A similar brown line was on the roof so I ignored it at first. When I went to clean the glue and worked my way to the roof I realized it was a long brown scuff. Probably from a chain or something on the car hauler. I was a able to buff it out with some scratch X 2.0 and elbow grease. I will go over it with a DA polisher when I detail the car for the first time.

I've taken delivery of a car at night and the rear bumper was scuffed and the mirror had some scuffs. I called the dealer and they corrected it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What is meant by checking the "Headliner"?
The actual material on the inside of the ascent around the roof; it could get ripped or be installed improperly; especially around the pano roof

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely take time to look at the roof. My car had some left over adhesive from the wrap they use stuck to the hood. A similar brown line was on the roof so I ignored it at first. When I went to clean the glue and worked my way to the roof I realized it was a long brown scuff. Probably from a chain or something on the car hauler. I was a able to buff it out with some scratch X 2.0 and elbow grease. I will go over it with a DA polisher when I detail the car for the first time.

I've taken delivery of a car at night and the rear bumper was scuffed and the mirror had some scuffs. I called the dealer and they corrected it.
I've taken delivery of not one, but two brand new vehicles that had damage which I did not see the day I picked them up. The second time around I inspected the vehicle very closely but it was in the evening and did not notice some scratches on one of doors. This time I'm going to inspect every square inch with a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have a Hitch installed - look for the Wiring Harness for Brake Controller - in the Glove Box.
I had my hitch installed after as a "we owe" on my touring. I see both connectors by either side of the hitch but do not see a harness.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts