Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting a cargo box for our Ascent and have a hard time knowing what size to get.
We are a family of 5..(kids ages 9,7,7). We travel a bit and pack a lot of stuff so a cargo box is a good option for us. In the winter we'll have 2 snowboards, and 3 sets of skis.
Right now I have my eye on the Thule Force L 16 cu ft box, but I am also thinking maybe go a bit bigger.

For those that have a cargo box currently, what size do you have and how has it worked for you?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, those kind of cargo boxes. Just wanted to know what size people had and how it works for them.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Well, those kind of cargo boxes. Just wanted to know what size people had and how it works for them.
I own the small one. I've borrowed the big one. I prefer the big one.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
What kind of MPG hit have you guys experienced with one of these?

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
What kind of MPG hit have you guys experienced with one of these?
  • 27-30 mpg with the bigger, slimmer one on a 2010 Outback on highway driving.
  • 24-27 mpg with a shorter one but slightly taller one on highway driving in a 2010 Outback.
Normally, I get 28-33mpg on that same 300 mile highway drive in the 2010 Outback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We went with the Force XL for our Outback. We went to EMS with the intention of getting the Large but it was clear the XL was closer to the size we needed. On trips our dogs occupy the trunk and 2 kids in the back seat so this is our only cargo area. We pack it snug sometimes but has always been big enough for our needs with 1 or 2 items making their way into the cabin floor. Have packed luggage, stroller, pack and play, child backpack carrier, pillows and dogs supplies all at once. With the Ascent we plan on the dogs being in cabin with the kids and having the trunk back, so Large would probably work for us now but will like the extra space. As for quality, it is very well made and sturdy, also very easy to install on the wide Outback crossbars. Quiet on the highway too, can't hear it with the windows up. Here it is on the Outback for idea of size, hatch barely opens fully without rubbing, should have plenty of clearence on Ascent (I would think XXL would fit fine too).

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
We are getting a cargo box for our Ascent and have a hard time knowing what size to get.
We are a family of 5..(kids ages 9,7,7). We travel a bit and pack a lot of stuff so a cargo box is a good option for us. In the winter we'll have 2 snowboards, and 3 sets of skis.
Right now I have my eye on the Thule Force L 16 cu ft box, but I am also thinking maybe go a bit bigger.

For those that have a cargo box currently, what size do you have and how has it worked for you?
ALWAYS go bigger ...

I posted in another thread about roof rails - but basically I bought a skybox 16 that would fit on my OB and I need more room. I'm now considering a hitch box to increase my 'cargo capacity' ... fwiw, if Ascent were my 'initial platform' for a roof box I would get the skybox 21 unless it falls off when full ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I went with the skybox low Carbonite from Yakima and have been very happy with it. I had a skybox 12 before and i needed more width than I did height. I have been able to get everything I need in it on my Forester and didn't have to worry about low parking garages. I left it on the Forester for almost a year. Now I pull it on and off as needed. I have a family of 3 and it serves me well. Could I use it a bit larger? Sure, but I opted for the height clearance.

With the Ascent, I know the height doesn't matter much regardless of box so I guess go big!

Attachments

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I went with the skybox low Carbonite from Yakima and have been very happy with it. I had a skybox 12 before and i needed more width than I did height. I have been able to get everything I need in it on my Forester and didn't have to worry about low parking garages. I left it on the Forester for almost a year. Now I pull it on and off as needed. I have a family of 3 and it serves me well. Could I use it a bit larger? Sure, but I opted for the height clearance.

With the Ascent, I know the height doesn't matter much regardless of box so I guess go big!
Wow, I like!!! And it's slim enough that I don't have to worry about losing it under some of our 7'7" high bridges on our parkways here on Long Island.

Here's an all time fav spot...

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
https://parts.oregoncitysubaru.com/...rgo-Carrier-Extended/63630948/SOA567C030.html

This is the one I think we will be getting. It's hard to tell if we will be getting a Thule Rack or not (as the pictures appear to show it is a Thule), but it's on sale and they also have a coupon for an additional 10% off of it (expires 8/31 but our current ETA is 8/28 so hopefully it'll arrive so we can utilize the sale and the coupon!), making it cheaper than the smaller box. :)

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice! Side load? Back load? How good does it seal when you close it?
Side load from either side (has a scissor mechanism at front and rear). Seals flawlessly from what I can tell; but I am diligent about storage so as not to tweak either piece and I am diligent when loading to ensure it is as 'even' as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've had our Skybox 16 for about six years now and it's held up really well. We've used it on our SH Forester and 4th gen Outback. We might put it on our Ascent later this week, but we're going to see if we can go without it. I'd like to see some pictures of a Skybox 21 on an Ascent!

·
Registered
583 Posts
https://parts.oregoncitysubaru.com/...rgo-Carrier-Extended/63630948/SOA567C030.html

This is the one I think we will be getting. It's hard to tell if we will be getting a Thule Rack or not (as the pictures appear to show it is a Thule), but it's on sale and they also have a coupon for an additional 10% off of it (expires 8/31 but our current ETA is 8/28 so hopefully it'll arrive so we can utilize the sale and the coupon!), making it cheaper than the smaller box. :)
Will this this attach to the Subaru crossbars ? I would think it would but I have never used a cargo carrier before ....:nerd:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
The system on most, if not all, cargo boxes have adjustable systems to attach to various bar locations.

The short answer is yes, it will fit.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 29 Posts