Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 1st post here and was hoping to gain some clarity on OEM Subaru wheel options (Ascent, Outback, Forester...Years...etc.) that will fit the TOURING trim of the Ascent? I ask because the dealer (not the brightest bunch) claims that the TOURING trim can only be down-sized to a 19" wheel at best...they say an 18" won't clear the calipers...but when I asked if they were certain they said "...absolutely, as even the entry-level Ascent has 19" wheels not 18"s...":unsure:

Reasoning:
- the vehicle is a family vehicle (i.e. everyone drives it)...we just had our first oops moment that left us a torn side wall @9k miles...so thinking a smaller diameter wheel with larger sidewalls may prevent future "calamity"

Calamity Defined:
  • its an AWD so replacing one (1) tire is not usually recommended so every time something like this happens you gotta buy two (2) + tires...$$$
  • if you are lucky and mileage / wear is minimal, you can get away with replacing the single (1) tires...well....good luck finding one (1) OEM Falken A/S tire to match the other (3)...here in So Cal nobody has this model tire in stock and even Subaru dealers have to request one from a central Subaru warehouse and that is 2-5 days out if your lucky
  • the small cheerio spare tire means you aren't really gonna have full, safe use of the vehicle until you can get a real size tire back on the vehicle
  • oh and now you gotta buy a new wheel or have it repaired...more $$$
  • and the bonus if said driver who caused the damage is equally as skilled at driving a vehicle with a cheerio-sized-tire then you maybe be looking at an even bigger accident :eek:

Thanks for any insight you all might have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the tire 😕

The premium and base do come with an 18” wheel option. As for other OEM wheels I don’t believe the weight rating is up to the Ascent requirements. Best option would be to get a set of aftermarket wheels in the 18” size with sufficient weight rating. Or there are 3 17” wheels that will clear (my favorite is the Method mr502).
use the search bar and there are lots of threads on tire and wheel options.
best of luck getting it fixed and back on the road quickly!

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Sorry for the bad news.

ABSOLUTELY NONE EXCEPT FOR THE TRIBECA.

I already reached out to Subaru's rim manufacturer about another rim. They said they build the rims for each vehicle's load rating.

Thus, none of them are load rated high enough, except for the Tribeca.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
they said "...absolutely, as even the entry-level Ascent has 19" wheels not 18"s..."
So, like...they've never read the Subaru website, the brochures in their lobby, the specifications sheets in the service department or maybe even the markings on the sidewalls of the tires? Sheesh...

As has been said, you need to use the Ascent OEM wheels (18" is available, but probably for a pretty penny unless you can find a set of take-offs) or a third party wheel that's properly rated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback.

1st - OK this ain't IWSTI.com (in a good way hahaha)... as someone that isn't 12-22 years old anymore ... I love a great car-forum community to go with vehicle ownership
2nd - So @Robert.Mauro to clarify...my options are used Tribeca wheels ONLY...or can I ALSO use 18" Ascent wheels on a TOURING trim?

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

1st - OK this ain't IWSTI.com (in a good way hahaha)... as someone that isn't 12-22 years old anymore ... I love a great car-forum community to go with vehicle ownership
2nd - So @Robert.Mauro to clarify...my options are used Tribeca wheels ONLY...or can I ALSO use 18" Ascent wheels on a TOURING trim?
Yes, you can also use 18" Ascent rims, or aftermarket rims with enough caliper clearance and a high enough load rating. I use 1,800 pounds minimum load rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also new tires can be shaved to eliminate this problem of having to buy more than 1 tire..

I initially I had the same thought...then I remembered it takes 2-3 garages till you find an honest & knowledgable one, same for tire installers...and on and on...I'm a curmudgeon on vehicles, and if I can avoid adding tire shaving to the routine I'll maintain my sanity a few more years. o_O

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Trim level doesn't matter for wheel size. I may move to 18" wheels on my Touring simply so I can actually use the tire I want to buy without deviating from OEM tire diameter. I can't get the 245/50-R20 in the tire I want to run when I wear out the OEM Faulkens. I'd have to go to a 255/50-R20 which is slightly larger and then I setup a spare tire challenge. While I much prefer the LOOK of the 20" wheels and the feel/performance of them, unless Michelin starts making my prefered rubber in 245/50-R20 sometime soon, I may have to spend money I'd rather not spend. :) . BTW, I'm talking about Defender LTX which is my favorite for this kind of vehicle.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I bought my aftermarket wheels (18" Raceline Shift wheels) I sold my OEM 18" to someone with the 20" Touring.

The brake calipers/rotors are the same for all trim levels so you can easily downsize to the 18" wheels. Much better for absorbing potholes and curbs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It didn't occur to me that 18" rims might not fit on Limited or Touring models of the Ascent. I think that 18" Ascent wheels will likely work with any trim. I actually owned a 2019 Ascent Premium with the smaller wheels and after 10 months decided to upgrade to the 2020 Ascent Limited (I know, should have gone with Limited to begin with, live and learn!). I will say, the 18" tires were quite a bit smoother over broken pavement than the 20" have been. Handling is noticeably better with the 20" wheels, however. I have much more confidence taking corners at speed. I guess that extra rubber on the 18s really gives some extra cushion, but also a little more "float".

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think that 18" Ascent wheels will likely work with any trim
It's not "likely'. It's absolutely. You can run 18" or 20" Ascent OEM wheels on any trim level.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yes, absolutely. You can check on Discount Tire's website. They have fitments for all the trim levels and all the 18" wheels that'll fit on the Premium will also fit on the Touring. (There's no change to the suspension, brakes, wheel wells, etc that would cause a difference). If the Touring had a big brake kit or something, then it might be different. But the Ascent already has big brakes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts