Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2019 Ascent in March 2019, to replace a 2013 Outback I passed along to my son going to college. I would like to focus on what I like about the Ascent, but the track record for the past 6 months won’t let me. At 3000 miles the transmission was replaced due to the ‘bucking’ that so many have reported. Last week (8000 miles) my entire audio system went silent, and now requires an amplifier replacement. All I can say is that I am glad my local dealer is extremely attentive and understanding, I have been a customer of theirs since the early eighties. I bought this vehicle based on Subaru’s proven track record for reliability.. but this vehicle has brought serious doubt in my confidence of their ability to continue to earn this reputation.... this will likely be my last Subaru.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It is good that these issues are coming out sooner rather than later and that they are known issues to SOA. With all the technology in vehicles I am actually surprised so much goes well. It is a far cry from the time you can crawl into the engine compartment with a socket set and screwdriver to tweek something or replace a part. Now manufacturers must rely upon the QC of remote manufacturers of many interoperable parts from all over the world. Subaru requires a very high standard but assuring the standard in a first year model has no guarantees. The second and third year should weed out problem part manufacturers. It is the risk we take (my Ascent was delivered the end of 2/19). Being a first year model, my focus is on how well SOA steps up to the plate and so far they have not disappointed.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,412 Posts
You can get a bad vehicle from any manufacturer at any initial cost...apparently, you were awarded with one of the Ascents with multiple issues. Yes, Ascent had some growing pains, but they were not universal. Most buyers have not had problems, which is also consistent with the vehicle market in general. I'm sad you had a bad experience, but it sounds like your dealer and Subaru have also been taking care of you. That's where things often get differentiated...

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
If it gets bad enough the Government will force SOA to do some type of universal fix.
Well, it's still a fraction of a percent, and no one can force Subaru to do some type of universal fix if they haven't found some type of universal fix.

And, they haven't found such a thing. If they had, there'd already be TSBs and a publicly known universal fix. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Purchased a 2019 Ascent in March 2019, to replace a 2013 Outback I passed along to my son going to college. I would like to focus on what I like about the Ascent, but the track record for the past 6 months won’t let me. At 3000 miles the transmission was replaced due to the ‘bucking’ that so many have reported. Last week (8000 miles) my entire audio system went silent, and now requires an amplifier replacement. All I can say is that I am glad my local dealer is extremely attentive and understanding, I have been a customer of theirs since the early eighties. I bought this vehicle based on Subaru’s proven track record for reliability.. but this vehicle has brought serious doubt in my confidence of their ability to continue to earn this reputation.... this will likely be my last Subaru.
I ordered my 2019 Ascent Touring in early April 2019 and finally took delivery in September. I just hit 17,000 during a 4 week road trip PA to Wisconsin, then Route 66 Illinois to Oklahoma City, then Dallas, New Orleans. a week in FL and back to PA.
Our second trip to FL and twice to Vermont. In all this time, we have not had 1 single issue. No oil use or dilution. I use cruise at about 80 with ACC and LKA. The last trip averaged 24.2 mpg. Oddly, mileage got better after 5000 miles.

2 things I would really like to see:
Full power adjustments especially height adjustment of the passenger seat. I am 6’ and my wife is 5’3” and finds the vehicle high to get in to. I’d also have liked power folding mirrors at the Touring price point. Time will tell but at this point I find the car a really great driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is good that these issues are coming out sooner rather than later and that they are known issues to SOA. With all the technology in vehicles I am actually surprised so much goes well. It is a far cry from the time you can crawl into the engine compartment with a socket set and screwdriver to tweek something or replace a part. Now manufacturers must rely upon the QC of remote manufacturers of many interoperable parts from all over the world. Subaru requires a very high standard but assuring the standard in a first year model has no guarantees. The second and third year should weed out problem part manufacturers. It is the risk we take (my Ascent was delivered the end of 2/19). Being a first year model, my focus is on how well SOA steps up to the plate and so far they have not disappointed.
Get a life. I bought the first year Toyota Previa in 1991. Didn't have all the new features like today's vehicle, it just ran like a top for over 350,000 miles. My first year Ascent does not instill any confidence of longevity. I've already had to jiggle the steering wheel to start it, parked straight in my garage. The front and rear doors touch each other, my front door sticks out, fit and finish is not up to Honda or Toyota. The trans bogs down at low speed between first and second gear, I will drive another one to see if mine is the only one that does this. I didn't pay $40,000 for them to "work it out" over 2 or 3 years, I want a good car NOW. I wouldn't buy it again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep...Toyota has never had issues...

If you dont like your ascent then trade it in, man up on the depreciation loss and move on...

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Get a life. I bought the first year Toyota Previa in 1991. Didn't have all the new features like today's vehicle, it just ran like a top for over 350,000 miles. My first year Ascent does not instill any confidence of longevity. I've already had to jiggle the steering wheel to start it, parked straight in my garage. The front and rear doors touch each other, my front door sticks out, fit and finish is not up to Honda or Toyota. The trans bogs down at low speed between first and second gear, I will drive another one to see if mine is the only one that does this. I didn't pay $40,000 for them to "work it out" over 2 or 3 years, I want a good car NOW. I wouldn't buy it again.
I inspected my vehicle before I took possession of it, including fit and finish. Yours is like some others, an anomaly. I have no hesitation with my transmission, my fit and finish was great. Have you brought this to the attention of the dealer for correction? If so are they dealing with it?

As you noted the 1991 vehicles were nothing like today's vehicles. I too used to own a older model Toyota without any of the modern technologies. I had significant mileage on it without any major issues. The fact is consumers including myself generally prefer the features, so the challenges will persist. Electronics can be finicky.

My life is just fine, even better with the Ascent in it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm constantly amazed at some people's dissatisfaction with the Ascent. I consider myself an overly discriminating person, I can easily find fault with almost everything, yet I think the Ascent is brilliant. It's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Sure, there are some minor things I don't particularly care for, such as the infotainment system, but overall, the car is superb.

Mine is over a year old now and I like it more and more as time goes on. And yes, I've had a couple of minor problems, I needed the AC TSB and I had a warped rotor. These were very minor issues and Subaru fixed them quickly and efficiently. Every car has a few glitches, so this didn't bother me in the least. Even if I had a major problem, as long as Subaru fixed it timely at no cost to me, then I would be satisfied. I don't expect any car to be perfect, this is why I always look for good customer support as well when I purchase a vehicle. At least with my Subaru dealer, their customer support is outstanding.

Subaru is currently rated # 2 for reliability, if you want something more reliable, then that doesn't leave you with much. Certainly not some of the vehicles some of you think are better.

The most troublesome vehicles and worst customer support I ever received was from other manufacturers, most notably Ford, Chevy, and Nissan. Try buying one of their vehicles if you want something to complain about. Or try buying one of these bottom dwellers:

So if you think the Ascent is troublesome, good luck finding a vehicle where you won't have anything to complain about.

I just don't get all the fuss. I looked up many of the vehicles some of you think are so much better, and I see just as many or more complaints about them on their associated forums. Show me a vehicle where all is bliss on its forum and then I'll agree that you have a point.

I'm very sorry some of you are experiencing frustrating problems with your Ascent. I hope you give Subaru a chance to make it right, they usually do. But until you show me a near-perfect vehicle that has almost no issues and has a forum where everyone is always happy and content, then I'm not convinced you're being fair about your assessment of the Ascent.

Name any vehicle you think is so much better, and then let's take a close look at its forum to see if you're right.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I get that people are frustrated, especially when they have problems with their expensive car. I'm still having a number of issues with mine, but I don't think there's any place for personal attacks toward somebody who's had either a very positive or negative experience with their car.

With rare exception, I like this form because people tend to be very civil on it, even when we disagree about things.I tend to be a bit lower on the enthusiasm scale than most people, but I always try to respect other people's opinions & issues and I feel they do the same for me.

For some of the people who don't post so often, or for first-time posters, please consider next time you make a comment to somebody, that this is a friendly, very helpful board.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Subaru is really going to lose a lot of money on the most recent recall of the Impreza (2017-2019). That vehicle has so many problems including infotainment, engine, etc. I would never buy one or let any of my family members buy one.

"The first recall covers 466,000 Imprezas from 2017 through 2019, and 2018 and 2019 Crosstreks. Subaru says the engine computer can keep powering the ignition coil after motors are shut off. That could cause a short circuit and blown fuse.
Dealers will update software and replace coils and front exhaust pipes if needed.
The second covers 205,000 Imprezas from 2017 through 2019 and 2018 Crosstreks. The aluminum positive crankcase ventilation valves can fall apart. Debris can enter the engine and cause power loss.
Dealers will replace valves if needed. If a valve has separated and parts can't be found, engines will be replaced."

Some auto mechanics were on the "car show" today here in Denver, and they said there could be much more involved than a short circuit and blown fuse. That continual powering of the ignition coil could destroy the engine.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Subaru is really going to lose a lot of money on the most recent recall of the Impreza (2017-2019). That vehicle has so many problems including infotainment, engine, etc. I would never buy one or let any of my family members buy one.

"The first recall covers 466,000 Imprezas from 2017 through 2019, and 2018 and 2019 Crosstreks. Subaru says the engine computer can keep powering the ignition coil after motors are shut off. That could cause a short circuit and blown fuse.
Dealers will update software and replace coils and front exhaust pipes if needed.
The second covers 205,000 Imprezas from 2017 through 2019 and 2018 Crosstreks. The aluminum positive crankcase ventilation valves can fall apart. Debris can enter the engine and cause power loss.
Dealers will replace valves if needed. If a valve has separated and parts can't be found, engines will be replaced."
I am unfamiliar specifically with how the costs for a recall are handled. What percentage if any does Subaru take on versus the supplier? I imagine it is somewhat dependent on the cause of the recall. Some percentage of warranty work is already built into the business model for all manufacturers and their suppliers. I am not worried for Subaru's business health. They seem to have their eye on the ball.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was lucky enough to find myself a gently used 2019 Ascent (only 14000kms/8750 miles at purchase), and as such got to avoid some of the brand new model blues some here seem to have. There were some early repairs on the purchase report but nothing major. My Dad always had a saying about how you wanted a vehicle made on a Tuesday. Some here might have a Friday-made.

While there are things I would change, most of them are in the 'personal taste' realm and not related to the vehicle drive itself. The latter is what won us over to buying it, and we're happy so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can get a bad vehicle from any manufacturer at any initial cost...apparently, you were awarded with one of the Ascents with multiple issues. Yes, Ascent had some growing pains, but they were not universal. Most buyers have not had problems, which is also consistent with the vehicle market in general. I'm sad you had a bad experience, but it sounds like your dealer and Subaru have also been taking care of you. That's where things often get differentiated...
I seriously considered the VW Atlas in addition to the Subaru Ascent. The step in height of the Atlas was too high for my wife to get in. Boy am I glad I didn’t get that vehicle. Two people I know who got it and have been constantly bringing those vehicles in for repairs, adjustments and recalls. The growing pains for the Atlas were far worse than for the Ascent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I seriously considered the VW Atlas in addition to the Subaru Ascent. The step in height of the Atlas was too high for my wife to get in. Boy am I glad I didn’t get that vehicle. Two people I know who got it and have been constantly bringing those vehicles in for repairs, adjustments and recalls. The growing pains for the Atlas were far worse than for the Ascent.
Yep..... when doing events and having an ascent with me people stopped by to look and touch..... there were many Atlas owners that stopped by and related their stories of woe regarding their Atlas experiences.....wasn’t due to growing pains......several traded their atlas for the ascent. BTW, there is no such thing as growing pains.... either a new vehicle is ready for market or it’s not..... IMO the ascent was rushed to market And the factory assembly processes weren’t fully ready....along with quality control nonetheless, the flagship platform is a solid vehicle👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts