Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We are seriously looking into getting a used Trailmanor hard-sided pop-up trailer to use for camping/travel. We recently rented a traditional taller camping trailer (Jayco Jayflight) and got 10-12 MPG. It was fine for travel within our state, but I'd definitely prefer to get better mileage if we are driving long distances.

Obviously this will vary greatly depending on terrain, but if you have a pop-up trailer (ideally one that's around 3000 lbs), what kind of gas mileage are you getting while towing? I read that air resistance/trailer height seems to lower fuel mileage more than trailer weight does, so I'm hoping that by getting a pop-up, we'll be able to avoid the extreme drop in gas mileage.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
Do not count on getting better mileage for sure, but if the popup is short enough that it tucks in behind the tow vehicle for less wind resistance, it will certainly help with that. But you still have 3000 lbs back there that you'll be pulling. Towing always results in a meaningful hit in fuel economy and that's part of balancing the cost of taking your hotel with you and the flexibility that brings or renting a room by the night.

Reactions: Andy1

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
Yup...towing is a labor intensive activity. Weight, wind and other aerodynamic things, terrain, speed, driver technique, etc., all enter into the picture. Even my little 5x8 utility trailer affects fuel economy when it's loaded with something beyond a few sticks of lumber.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pulled a 3600 lb 18ft powerboat (with a cover on that ballooned into a sail :-/ ) from Tacoma, WA to Coeur d'Alene, ID and back and we averaged 14-16 mpg ~65mph most the way. Probably could have done better without the cover. :-b

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the last three summers we've towed our 2,700 lbs. boat up and back to Idaho for a round trip of 800+ miles. It's mostly freeway, I keep at 65-70 mph, accelerate slowly, and I've consistently averaged 19-21 mpg. I'm happy with this. Doing the same trip without the boat averages 28-30 mpg.

·
Registered
565 Posts
@Kevin Williams has towed a popup if I remember correctly, maybe he can chime in.

I would also not expect stellar mileage, as I recall the TrailManor is a Hi-Low type trailer not really a popup. They do have a relatively narrow track, but are still fairly heavy depending on the model. Speed and driving habits also play a big role, we have gotten as good as 14 mpg towing our hardside trailer, and also as bad a 9 mpg trying to keep flow with traffic. Anymore I top out around 65 and usually cruise about 60 if traffic allows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tow a 2015 Coachman Clipper 17FQ travel trailer. I get 13 t0 14 1/2 MPG. My 2015 Chevy Traverse got 11.

·
Registered
908 Posts
@Kevin Williams has towed a popup if I remember correctly, maybe he can chime in.

I would also not expect stellar mileage, as I recall the TrailManor is a Hi-Low type trailer not really a popup. They do have a relatively narrow track, but are still fairly heavy depending on the model. Speed and driving habits also play a big role, we have gotten as good as 14 mpg towing our hardside trailer, and also as bad a 9 mpg trying to keep flow with traffic. Anymore I top out around 65 and usually cruise about 60 if traffic allows.
This is a post about towing my 3,500lb pop up in the mountains around Phoenix.

TLDR;

Got 15mpg going up into the mountains and 17mpg coming back down out of them. My pop up is large but still mostly tucks behind the Ascent.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Plant

Also, one time I logged the OBDII data while I was towing. Here's a video of the results. Unfortunately I didn't log the MPG!!

Reactions: Jim_in_PA
1 - 9 of 9 Posts