Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering what everyone EQ (sound) set up is. I still can’t find an optimum sound to enjoy. I was hoping the audio system was equipped with presets (rock, pop, studio, etc.) but it only comes with the Bass, Mid, & Treble sliders. ?

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Touring, HK 14 speaker: 9, 0, 9

BUT, I find that SiriusXM randomly compresses music to all sorts of varying degrees. When I use Google Play Music or my local (on phone) music, the sound quality is much better than bad days on SiriusXM.

Some days, SiriusXM is fine. May have to do with signal strength or how busy they are at the time. Dunno.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Rockford Fosgate upgrade to standard system in Limited Trim: 5-0-0

It can get a tad boomy on tracks with a bass-heavy mix (some hip-hop, etc.), but for most "rock" (drums, bass, guitars, keys) style of music, this setting is very punchy and the highs are present without introducing symblance (cymbalance?) or any artificial harshness.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Limited, HK 14 speakers: 9 - 5 - 9
Do you guys use that Surround option ON or OFF?
Me personally, mostly off, every now and then on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey folks, new here but appreciating the info. 2 questions re: audio. Is the Rockford Fosgate an upgrade to the HK 14 speaker system - or is it an upgrade to the base level system?

Also, can anyone tell me how they tally 14 speakers? I can't find any more than 10. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey folks, new here but appreciating the info. 2 questions re: audio. Is the Rockford Fosgate an upgrade to the HK 14 speaker system - or is it an upgrade to the base level system?

Also, can anyone tell me how they tally 14 speakers? I can't find any more than 10. Thanks!
The RF is an upgrage to the base system, but below the HK system.

To count all of the speakers, you also have to count the tweeters. That's how automakers do it anyway, as silly as it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@rockthebeef thank you for the quick reply. Like others, I'm pretty bummed that Suburu did such a lousy job on th HK audio. This weekend I drove a Honda Pilot, Honda Passport, Toyota Highlander and a Kia Sorento and each one had an instantly distinguishable solid sound. I kept hoping the Suburu Ascent Touring would compare but no amount of adjustments would do it so was thinking about other sound options since we still like that car the best.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you're ok with the Premium or Limited, check out the regular non-HK system if you get a chance (at least, the one that is available by default in the Premium or Limited). I think the sound in the front seats is pretty decent (though probably not as good in the other seats with fewer speakers). I have not compared it directly to the HK system, though.

I should note, if loudness is critical for you, I'm not sure if you will like it. It does get pretty loud, but if you really like to crank it up, it may not have the power.

·
Registered
869 Posts
For the average consumer the system will be sufficient,if you’re a audiophile your ears will suffer.In my Premium I added some sounddeadening ,fastrings and swapped the front woofers for aftermarkets and I’m more than pleased with the results.Could it be a lot better,of course but I’m not willing to mess with it unless I fully commit.Just wish they would’ve kept a real EQ like the Outback I previously owned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Premium with the regular stock system. Although I'm not an audiophile, I think it sounds much much better than most base/stock systems. However, I have not been in an Ascent with the HK or RF system...so nothing to compare to. As for the EQ settings, I have mine set at +9 +1 +1...this setting is great for all types of music and surprised that with the bass maxed out at 9 it doesn't distort. i didn't do much with the fading, i have that circle/dot thing set pretty much in the middle of the vehicle. does anyone happen to know what the specs are for the stock system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts