Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home router uses MAC filtering and rejects any connections that aren't already in the MAC "whitelist". If I turn off the filtering, the Ascent can theoretically log into the home WiFi, but if I do that, dozens of cameras and other obscurely located WiFi devices (like floodlights 30' up) need to be powered off and rebooted.

I looked through all the menus and couldn't find where the Ascent shows it's MAC address. Has anyone located their Ascent's MAC address? Trying to avoid spending the afternoon on a ladder and in the attic.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
My home router uses MAC filtering and rejects any connections that aren't already in the MAC "whitelist". If I turn off the filtering, the Ascent can theoretically log into the home WiFi, but if I do that, dozens of cameras and other obscurely located WiFi devices (like floodlights 30' up) need to be powered off and rebooted.

I looked through all the menus and couldn't find where the Ascent shows it's MAC address. Has anyone located their Ascent's MAC address? Trying to avoid spending the afternoon on a ladder and in the attic.

Thank you.
It would be nice if this information would be readily available for owners. We should not have to spend significant time figuring out tech specs given the fact that vehicles increasingly rely on this tech.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
833 Posts

Thank you.

My ascent's MAC address shows up in the list of devices that have connected to my home router.

You could try connecting your Accent to a cell phone WiFi hotspot then use a network analizer app like Fing to look up the MAC from another phone or tablet that is also connected to the hotspot.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3,970 Posts

Thank you.
log into your router at home from your computer and from there you can identify the vehicle address. You can then whitelist it within your router user interface. No need to touch your router itself.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ascent's MAC address shows up in the list of devices that have connected to my home router.

You could try connecting your Accent to a cell phone WiFi hotspot then use a network analizer app like Fing to look up the MAC from another phone or tablet that is also connected to the hotspot.
Yup, my router identifies everything that's connected by IP and MAC address. It also identifies every MAC address that it has rejected.
I'll try my phone hotspot. Was trying to avoid typing in another 64 character network password on the Ascent screen.
Even Apple shows their MAC address in the About or Device screen these days.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
log into your router at home from your computer and from there you can identify the vehicle address. You can then whitelist it within your router user interface. No need to touch your router itself.
Chicken and egg. With my router's filtering, the Ascent's MAC is in the reject list "blacklist". The blacklist is hundreds long. The router has to whitelist the MAC address first before the Ascent can log in. Need to know which of the hundreds of rejects is the Ascent's MAC address first.

Every WiFi device I've purchased for years either identifies their MAC address on the serial number sticker, in the documentation or in the case of devices with screens, right on one of the settings menus.

I'm anticipating the next hurdle after actually getting the Ascent onto my Newark is going to be restricting it's "phone home" internet activity. Ie, my thermostats, cameras etc can only communicate to my cloud domain and cannot communicate across my WiFi to any other device. Worked in IT too long to let cheap insecure devices run amok.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

MAC addresses which are unknown by the router are automatically rejected. There are hundreds of rejected MAC addresses in the blacklist. No way of knowing which one belongs to the Ascent.

I'll try the phone hotspot.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally had a chance to play with the network and got the Ascent connected. I needed to sit in the car with a tablet connected to the network displaying the router's whitelist and blacklist. I turned the Ascent's WiFi "connect to new network" on and off while observing the blacklist until I found a new IP address among the hundreds of blocked addresses. Once I had the ip address, I could give it whitelist permission.

It looks like once I turned off the ignition, the Ascent disconnected from the wifi even though I was in the middle of downloading a map update. Does anyone know if the Ascent will turn on the WiFi to phone home for other updates without the ignition turned on?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,590 Posts
Vehicle must be "on" (engine running or not) for the updates to happen. Other than the short period of time after shutting down that the head unit stays active, when the vehicle is off...the head unit is off. My previous vehicle was the same way.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Finally had a chance to play with the network and got the Ascent connected. I needed to sit in the car with a tablet connected to the network displaying the router's whitelist and blacklist. I turned the Ascent's WiFi "connect to new network" on and off while observing the blacklist until I found a new IP address among the hundreds of blocked addresses. Once I had the ip address, I could give it whitelist permission.

It looks like once I turned off the ignition, the Ascent disconnected from the wifi even though I was in the middle of downloading a map update. Does anyone know if the Ascent will turn on the WiFi to phone home for other updates without the ignition turned on?
Has SOA gotten back to you with the MAC address ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wrote [email protected] on 5/13, but, no response yet. I don't really need it, but, agree, should be an easy way to determine it (there is probably a label on the actual wireless module, but, I have no clue on where that is, or how accessible it would be).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts