Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know a lot about cars but I can tell you one thing that irritates me about my 2019 Ascent. Today when I wanted to call my husband Joe, I pressed the appropriate button and said, “Call Joe”. After many attempts of me saying “call Joe” and the system saying he is not a contact I gave up. After a few minutes, I again pressed the button and said, “Call Joe.” The system then says, “calling Michael”. It didn’t even check to see if that was the right contact it just called Michael. I haven’t talked to Michael in 10 years. It was uncomfortable. Last week, I said “Call Melissa”. It quickly said “calling Shelley”. Next try, “Calling Diana.” If it didn’t piss me off so much, it might be funny. It’s like a comedy skit. I also have to say the back hatch never works right, but it doesn’t frustrate me as much as the phone. Does anyone else have this issue?

· Registered
1,020 Posts
@doyle3466

The way I read this incident, I'm thinking it has more to do with your smartphone's hands-free assistant, rather than anything to do with the Ascent.

Occasionally glitches of this kind will crop up after you've updated your phone and/or the vehicle's head-unit.

As-always with anything of this nature, I'd recommend completely shutting down your phone and then re-starting it.

If that doesn't solve or at least ease the issue, see what happens when you utilize the phone's hands-free dialing assist without having it hooked up to the vehicle (either via Bluetooth or via hard cable), to start your troubleshooting.

Finally, even after the phone starts to auto-dial you still have time to cancel by simply pressing the "end call" button either on the steering wheel or via the touchscreen. You don't have time to dawdle, but if you punch that button fast enough, you should be able to terminate the call even before it's placed.

Reactions: Daniel Acosta

· Registered
176 Posts
@doyle3466

I feel your pain. I had a Volkswagen that I nearly beat the dash to pieces with a baseball bat. Voice commands, maps, etc were useless. The Subaru wasn't a whole lot better to be honest but at least I was able to get off my blood pressure medication. My Volvo learns your voice and almost never misses. Also, using the Apple Car Play helps as it uses SIRI.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
@doyle3466

99% of the time in my 2019 Ascent, I had no problems with the voice recognition for calls, text or directions. My 2023 Limited is even better.

But, I do feel your pain.

Now the real question: Has Joe met Michael?;)

Oh, what a can of worms you have opened.

Scottish accents in elevators using voice recognition
SMART HOUSE – ENGLISH VERSION – REMA 1000 simplicity is king
Midwest Siri midwest siri

· Administrator
13,265 Posts
After playing with my mic settings (in the head unit's "Sound" settings panel), mine understood me much better.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
1,096 Posts
I don’t know a lot about cars but I can tell you one thing that irritates me about my 2019 Ascent. Today when I wanted to call my husband Joe, I pressed the appropriate button and said, “Call Joe”. After many attempts of me saying “call Joe” and the system saying he is not a contact I gave up. After a few minutes, I again pressed the button and said, “Call Joe.” The system then says, “calling Michael”. It didn’t even check to see if that was the right contact it just called Michael. I haven’t talked to Michael in 10 years. It was uncomfortable. Last week, I said “Call Melissa”. It quickly said “calling Shelley”. Next try, “Calling Diana.” If it didn’t piss me off so much, it might be funny. It’s like a comedy skit. I also have to say the back hatch never works right, but it doesn’t frustrate me as much as the phone. Does anyone else have this issue?
I had an issue with the system either dropping or misunderstanding voice commands and losing the phonebook settings. Try deleting the phone from the car's "available devices", and removing the car from the phone's devices. switch off the phone and reboot (hard reset). Then let the two devices "find" each other and pair again (be sure to "add phonebook" on the car settings). This got my system back in sync, it might work for you.(y)

· Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
1,126 Posts
@doyle3466

Was the phone plugged into the usb port or were you just using the BT connection?

I have had some hiccups with voice commands when my phone was plugged in, apparently google assistant takes control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts