Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through the forum and no one seems to address what exactly the RV dealer SHOULD install for towing travel trailer. I have the dealer installed Hitch on my 2020 Ascent Limited already.

This is what the RV dealer wants to install:
1. BRK CONT PRE-WIRED VOYAGER
2. FRIC SWAY/BAR/BALL/PLATE

Are these ok to install? If not, what exactly should be used?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
  • No sway bar
  • No weight distributing hitch
  • No torsion bar
  • Any good brake controller is fine, and self installing that is easy. Subaru already ran the wires.
  • An adjustable drop hitch is nice, but at least make sure you have a hitch that puts the trailer level and not hitch side high.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
What Robert said...which is very clearly documented in this particular forum area. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My RV dealer doesn’t accept this - they keep trying to sell me something anti-sway under the argument of “keeping me safe”. If I pull my purchase agreement because the dealer won’t accept Subaru’s guidelines, the RV dealer will keep my deposit! I am absolutely distressed at how my RV dealer is handling this with me. I think Subaru should contact all RV dealers and tell them very specifically what they can use even if it means promoting Subaru’s own accessories, which is fine with me. I just want it done right and safely.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have read through the forum and no one seems to address what exactly the RV dealer SHOULD install for towing travel trailer. I have the dealer installed Hitch on my 2020 Ascent Limited already.

This is what the RV dealer wants to install:
1. BRK CONT PRE-WIRED VOYAGER
2. FRIC SWAY/BAR/BALL/PLATE

Are these ok to install? If not, what exactly should be used?
To reiterate, NO on #2. The RV dealer may even push it because they don't know that the Ascent is NEVER supposed to have one.

Refer them to the thread Robert posted if they try and push it. We had another RV buyer whose dealer was trying to insist on it.

I'm regularly towing near the limit with my Ascent and it handles everything great!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
My RV dealer doesn’t accept this - they keep trying to sell me something anti-sway under the argument of “keeping me safe”. If I pull my purchase agreement because the dealer won’t accept Subaru’s guidelines, the RV dealer will keep my deposit! I am absolutely distressed at how my RV dealer is handling this with me. I think Subaru should contact all RV dealers and tell them very specifically what they can use even if it means promoting Subaru’s own accessories, which is fine with me. I just want it done right and safely.
Absolutely don't.

I will gladly call them and set them straight.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Here's what I pull, which is heavier and bigger than what you're looking at.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Also, show them this great compilation that @Ken Myers made of what all of us tow. There's trailers, large and small on that list, and, the one thing they all share in common is that none of us are using sway/torsion bars or weight distributing hitches.

Subaru knows their cars. This trailer place you're at does not.

The Ascent is FRONT biased weight wise, normally, at roughly 54% front to 46% in the rear. The REAR axle has the higher GAWR-R rating to hold cargo and tongue weight. The Ascent is designed to be rear weight loaded. It is not designed to transfer weight from frame rails through sub frame to frame rails to the front.

So sorry you're going through this. Alas, Subaru put it in writing in the manual, and trailer salespeople don't necessarily read it. They deal with a lot of different models - I only deal with the Ascent. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely don't.

Oh thank you so much! I took a screen shot of your forum answer and sent it to them, I have not heard anything back from the. I am glad you will speak up for me if need be. Thanks so much - I will let you know.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Oh thank you so much! I took a screen shot of your forum answer and sent it to them, I have not heard anything back from the. I am glad you will speak up for me if need be. Thanks so much - I will let you know.
Send them this link.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Ascent should handle the trailer fine if its within the 500 lb tongue weight and 5k lb towing weight. If its swaying on it's own with increased speed something isnt right with the setup. Swaying on windy days or in traffic can be unnerving but should not last past the initial pressure wave, and is pretty common with hard side trailers.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Show them this from the Ascent Owner's Manual:

View attachment 4258
Hey, if you don't mind, I would like to swap this with the image in my post where it's not highlighted. I was just thinking yesterday that I should have highlighted it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's what I pull, which is heavier and bigger than what you're looking at.

View attachment 4235
The 2011 version of that model is Dry Weight 3,690 lbs. GVWR 4,900 lbs. Hitch Weight 390 lbs.

I t appear that you are pushing the weight limit pretty substantially. Have you had it weighed fully loaded?

One of my concerns is being overweight (GVWR) and having an accident, and having the trailer weighed.

The other is that we near and tow in mountains. Do you tow in mountainous terrain? That changes the dynamics substantially. Flat land is one thing. Constant mountain pulls is another.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The 2011 version of that model is Dry Weight 3,690 lbs. GVWR 4,900 lbs. Hitch Weight 390 lbs.

I t appear that you are pushing the weight limit pretty substantially. Have you had it weighed fully loaded?
Hi, no, alas, I think you looked up the wrong trailer. I recommend 85% or less on any tow vehicle for regular towing, and, I do my best to live it. My best friend's trailer (he doesn't have a tow vehicle - my Ascent is the tow vehicle) just barely exceeds that when fully loaded at 87.9% - and I never exceed GVWR.

2011 Heartland Edge M18 Specs:
Weight

Dry Weight: 3,118 lbs.
GVWR: 4,395 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 210 lbs.

Holding Tanks
Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks: 1
Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity: 36.0 gal.
Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks: 1
Total Gray Water Tank Capacity: 32.0 gal.
Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks: 1
Total Black Water Tank Capacity: 32.0 gal.

Propane Tank(s)
Number Of Propane Tanks: 2
Total Propane Tank Capacity: 9.4 gal.
Total Propane Tank Capacity: 40 lbs.

One of my concerns is being overweight (GVWR) and having an accident, and having the trailer weighed.
Me too - hence my 85% rule. Not just is it illegal in every state, but, in the event of a serious accident, various states will tack on felony charges for what would otherwise be deemed an accident... for instance, worst case scenario example, an accidental death at 5,000 pounds may be charged as felony manslaughter in some states when at 5,001 pounds.

The other is that we near and tow in mountains. Do you tow in mountainous terrain? That changes the dynamics substantially. Flat land is one thing. Constant mountain pulls is another.
Yes, two months ago, I delivered the Edge to northern Vermont, from Long Island, through four mountain ranges, with two of the three tanks full.

Heck, I've even done 0-60 tests when the trailer is fully loaded, including all three tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Absolutely don't.

Thank you so much Robert. I showed your information to my dealer and I happily brought home a new travel trailer. The Subaru pulled it beautifully - I went up and down hills, changed lanes easily and traveled at varying speeds including 55mph for about 45 minutes to get the trailer home. Thank you so much for your help!

My Subaru is a 2020 Ascent Limited. Trailer is a 2020 Jay Flight SLX7 175RD. GVW 3750; UVW 2963. Length 20’ 7”. Hitch Weight 320.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Nice!!! If you can post year, model information, and what trim level Ascent, that'd be great! I know @Ken Myers would love to add it to his growing towing collection on his website.

Thank you so much Robert. I showed your information to my dealer and I happily brought home a new travel trailer. The Subaru pulled it beautifully and I went up and down hills and traveled at varying speeds including 55mph for about 45 minutes to get the trailer home. Thank you so much for your help!
View attachment 4490

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much Robert. I showed your information to my dealer and I happily brought home a new travel trailer. The Subaru pulled it beautifully - I went up and down hills, changed lanes easily and traveled at varying speeds including 55mph for about 45 minutes to get the trailer home. Thank you so much for your help!

My Subaru is a 2020 Ascent Limited. Trailer is a 2020 Jay Flight SLX7 175RD. GVW 3750; UVW 2963. Length 20’ 7”; Hitch weight 320
View attachment 4490
Nice!!! If you can post year, model information, and what trim level Ascent, that'd be great! I know @Ken Myers would love to add it to his growing towing collection on his website.
I added the information to my post Robert. My Subaru is a 2020 Ascent Limited. Trailer is a 2020 Jay Flight SLX7 175RD. GVW 3750; UVW 2963. Length 20’ 7”; Hitch weight 320.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts