Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Fun. Nice to find people that are as nutz as me. I carry most of what the long lists here have, but in addition, I have a hatchet, multiple ropes and paracord, shrink wrap (amazingly useful) a portable fishing pole with tackle that breaks down into a small case, filet knife and hunting knives, ratcheting tie down straps, three ball sizes for the convertaball on my hitch ball mount, I always have a d-handle real shovel, a large four way cross wrench, ballistol oil, bug spray, bright safety vest, and more. You know, I have so much stuff back there and stored in the other spots that I don’t think I know all of it anymore. The underfloor well is full and there is a full Rubbermaid tote in back also. I also try and keep most of the cup holders filled with full water bottles. And in an Ascent, that’s a good amount of water!

I agree about the "nutz" people. I thought I was the only one :) In some of the drink holders I have the largest plastic soda drink cups that will fit. They all have a drinking straw coming out of the top but are actually used for storage. Great for hiding things you don't want visible or things that rattle otherwise. One of them has an old cell phone - as a spare for call E-911. I make sure to check the charge on it. Another one has mace, etc. I think it's doubtful that a thief will steal what appears to be a cup of soda.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It’s filled with emergency gear ? this Nitecore VCL10 QuickCharge 3.0 USB Vehicle Multitool with White, Red Flashlight & Window Breaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXT7N1D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MP6ACb56ZRDYF

or a headlamp is a must.

Viair 12v Compressor
Leatherman wave
Fixed blade knife
Surefire Headlamp, and 3 more flashlights (I collect them and rotate my old ones to the car)
ResQMe attached to headrest (pic attached)
Tools
Reflective vest
Gloves
Poncho
LED flares
Water (Voss because of the glass bottles)
Cliff bars (rotated frequently)
First aid kit (cuts and meds)
Trauma kit (life threatening) (pic attached)
Travel John gelling pee bags for the girls
2 Motorola GMRS Walkies (I treat them as 3 x AA battery holders for the AA flashlights)
Trash bags
Charger for every phone (micro usb, lightning x 4, USB C x 1)
Anker battery
Very warm jackets for the family vacuum packed
Emergency blanks for the family

On trips in tool bags
Arb strap and shackles
Super Z Snow cables (winter)
Arb tire repair kit
Yaesu ham radio in ammo box (might hardmount later since there is so much room under the seats) with mag mount antenna
Planning on spending the night even if it’s a day trip and pack accordingly

Future on a hitch carrier
Rotopax fuel container
Full size matching spare wheel/tire

Need to buy
Portable jump starter
A replacement for that junk oem battery

Trauma kit based on this
https://youtu.be/Q7ZdW70zYwc

Previously carried 2 of these
Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge to Stop Bleeding Fast – Zeolite Hemostatic Dressing, Trauma Kit, Bleeding Control Kits, IFAK, Tactical Medical Kit, First Aid Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BS2PW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JV6ACb7JFW9SZ

Forgot about the jelling Travel John's. They are a must. I assume they work as "fantastic" as the jelling powder (Poo Powder) you can use in a porta potti. I always compare the jelling to spray foam. You press the button on spray foam and WOW. Same thing happens when liquid hits the jell. 1/4 cup holds 24 oz of liquid.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
After dealing with a flat tire this weekend i realized i have no supplies or tools in the car other than the jack and wrench for putting a spare on. Was wondering what are the basics I should have? Do you have flares, extra tools, compressor, battery, gloves, etc with you always? And if you gear up a lot how do u keep it all organized and neatly stowed?

Among other items I carry a bleeding control kit - advanced version (it also comes with me when I hike). This augments a basic first aid kit. My family took a free bleeding control course which certified us in bleeding control including tourniquet use. North American Rescue is a top flight company. I do not work for them or in the industry but I arranged for my son's school to purchase a few public bleeding control stations to mount around the school. My son carries an ankle version on him.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Only one person mentioned carrying a fire extinguisher? I don't carry much of anything, but I always have an extinguisher on each car, one in the garage and one in my kitchen.
I have one. Just forgot to mention it. This is my third for the car. Gave one away, and had one that couldn't be refilled that I used.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
An AED is legit! Which one do you have? Philips? I live near some older folks and wanted to ''group buy one'' for our little cul de sac
I have a physio-control lifepak 500. I'm a member of the Rescue Squad and a few of us were issued one for faster response on CPR calls.

Great to have but pricey!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I have one. Just forgot to mention it. This is my third for the car. Gave one away, and had one that couldn't be refilled that I used.

A fire extinguisher primary purpose is to clear an escape route, not putting out a fire other than the smallest trash can fire. In a vehicle, this is a bit different since the exit route is the door. Therefore, the extinguisher is mostly useful to assist putting out small flames in the engine compartment or to assist another driver having difficulty exiting their vehicle due to a fire. Of course an extinguisher could be handy to have available when car camping to have out when using a camp fire. The typical auto extinguisher is small and will only provide a few seconds of extinguishing impact (a larger house extinguisher may only provide ten seconds). I also suggest that those that carry an extinguisher check its expiration date, shake it once a month and know how to use it.

I still laugh at myself from decades ago when I was very young. I was driving my small vehicle in Massachusetts (new resident) and had a small fire extinguisher mounted at the side of my seat. I noticed a house along side the road with tons of smoke coming out. I quickly pulled over, grabbed the extinguisher and ran to the house only to learn it was a maple sugaring business burning off the water. :smile_big:

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
A fire extinguisher primary purpose is to clear an escape route, not putting out a fire other than the smallest trash can fire. In a vehicle, this is a bit different since the exit route is the door. Therefore, the extinguisher is mostly useful to assist putting out small flames in the engine compartment or to assist another driver having difficulty exiting their vehicle due to a fire. Of course an extinguisher could be handy to have available when car camping to have out when using a camp fire. The typical auto extinguisher is small and will only provide a few seconds of extinguishing impact (a larger house extinguisher may only provide ten seconds). I also suggest that those that carry an extinguisher check its expiration date, shake it once a month and know how to use it.

I still laugh at myself from decades ago when I was very young. I was driving my small vehicle in Massachusetts (new resident) and had a small fire extinguisher mounted at the side of my seat. I noticed a house along side the road with tons of smoke coming out. I quickly pulled over, grabbed the extinguisher and ran to the house only to learn it was a maple sugaring business burning off the water. :smile_big:

Yep. Good tips.

I put out a small car fire with the one I used, and I go hiking, camping and on other similar adventures. We also get fire safety and fire extinguisher training twice a year at my work and I've helped coordinate extinguisher replacements for our habitable areas and server room, including replacing the halon ones no longer legal in our area.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have learned two things from this thread. 1) I'm glad I live in a warm climate and 2) with all the stuff you guys get in that small compartment, I'm going to try to shoehorn my Yeti 35 in there.

I do have a fast charging USB plug in the front console 12v outlet, a blanket and neck pillow for backseat passengers, a water bottle by each door, and appropriate phone cables for each type of phone.

I do keep my hitch, ball and pins in the compartment along with a rubber mat in case I have to get on the ground and to keep the hitch from rattling. I'm now inspired to utilize that space a little better.

·
Registered
942 Posts
All:

For those who listed "traditional" vehicle window-breaking devices, remember that virtually all of the easily accessible windows in our Ascents are laminated glass. This renders items like the Res-Q-Me, hardware-store centerpunches, and even manual "hammers" of limited use/effectiveness.

The only windows which are tempered are the third row windows.

Plan your egress accordingly.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
All:

For those who listed "traditional" vehicle window-breaking devices, remember that virtually all of the easily accessible windows in our Ascents are laminated glass. This renders items like the Res-Q-Me, hardware-store center punches, and even manual "hammers" of limited use/effectiveness.

I will have to check in the manual but I do not think the Ascent can handle what President Johnson had in mind:

·
Registered
542 Posts
All:

For those who listed "traditional" vehicle window-breaking devices, remember that virtually all of the easily accessible windows in our Ascents are laminated glass. This renders items like the Res-Q-Me, hardware-store centerpunches, and even manual "hammers" of limited use/effectiveness.

Thanks for the reminder, Any suggestions?

I do have a 30'' Leatherhead Halligan tool I bought on craiglist for demo work when I was remodeling the house. :devil:

https://www.galls.com/leatherhead-tools-30-halligan-bar

·
Registered
942 Posts
@packout - I think with me in the vehicle, it'd just sink..... :D
@Soca- Unfortunately, I don't. One member either here or on the Subaru Ascent FB Group talked about using a craft-use laminated glass scorer/cutter, which seems to me like a great idea, but it needs to be tested both as "proof of concept" as well as pressure-cooked.

And I remembered you writing about the Halligan in the other thread ( https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...5651-glass-breaker-seatbelt-cutter-mount.html ). :)

The Glassmaster Extrication Tool that packout noted in that thread would definitely do the trick, but its size and physical configuration would suggest that it's more of an extrication tool (of course, there's that in the tool's name/descriptor, too :eek: ). Then there's the Rhyno that I linked to on the third page of that thread - but even then, look at how hard the guy had to swing/contact the windshield, in order to effect just thru-holes. As with the Halligan, I'm afraid of the amount of physicality required in order to effect not only through-and-through breakage - to "port" the glass - but moreso the need to effect an opening big enough to escape through. :sad:

The language on the following video is explicit at times, and I apologize in advance for that - for those of you who may be offended by such or for those who have children at home, I would urge you to please simply hit "mute" on your speakers before clicking on the link, but this video truly has value in this conversation, as it shows very well just how strong laminated vehicle side windows can be.

I am starting the video at time-point 0:37 simply because there's no value in hearing her talk about her mate. Note that the windshield had already been shattered before even the start of filming, but you can see how effective her subsequent sledge strikes are versus the windshield of the vehicle:

By time-point 0:45, she moves off to the right side of the vehicle, and at time point 0:48, she begins her full swing towards the front side glass.

Notice how the sledge just bounces off?

The second and fourth strikes on the side glass also fail to significantly damage it. You can then see between time-points 1:22 to 1:23 a close-up of the struck front side glass as the camera-person pans across from the rear of the car to the front.

The same is demonstrated:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/la...o-Angry-Wife-Hammer-Cheating-Husband-Shenzhen

As packout noted in the closing posts in that thread, I'd also like to get a bit more experience with laminated side glass. There's already acknowledgement in the military/police/security communities about the need to revise procedures and techniques due to the increased presence of laminated side glass on modern vehicles (https://guerrillaapproach.com/laminated-door-glass/), and I think that us common everyday law-abiding citizens really also need to revisit this, even though the likelihood of any of us ever needing to self-extricate is probably minuscule.

Laminated vehicle side windows are no joke......

·
Registered
418 Posts
All:

Could I just use a shotgun? :devil:

21 - 40 of 71 Posts