Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dealing with a flat tire this weekend i realized i have no supplies or tools in the car other than the jack and wrench for putting a spare on. Was wondering what are the basics I should have? Do you have flares, extra tools, compressor, battery, gloves, etc with you always? And if you gear up a lot how do u keep it all organized and neatly stowed?

Thanks,

·
Registered
266 Posts
After dealing with a flat tire this weekend i realized i have no supplies or tools in the car other than the jack and wrench for putting a spare on. Was wondering what are the basics I should have? Do you have flares, extra tools, compressor, battery, gloves, etc with you always? And if you gear up a lot how do u keep it all organized and neatly stowed?

Thanks,
This is what I carry - Half gallon water; 2 MREs; basic tools; jump starter; jumper cables; 2 reflective triangles; first aid kit; collapsible shovel (winter only); spring cable traction devices (winter only); long handled snow brush/scraper (winter only); waterproof heavy duty gloves; waterproof ground cloth - I think that's it, except for the items I forgot..oh, and a current AAA membership card.

·
Registered
61 Posts
in the under the floor cargo area I keep:

Wyeth-Scott winch with synthetic cable (happy to find it fits nicely in there, deep enough)
tow strap
tree saver strap
air compressor
small first aid kit
small folding shovel
receiver hitch d ring shackle
two more d ring shackles
survival blanket
tire repair kit
camping stool

all of this fits nice and snug in the back compartment area with the floor sitting nice and flat.

also found that if i take out the winch i can fit a portable toilet (cleanwaste go anywhere toilet) and still close the floor flat.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It’s filled with emergency gear 😀 this Nitecore VCL10 QuickCharge 3.0 USB Vehicle Multitool with White, Red Flashlight & Window Breaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXT7N1D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MP6ACb56ZRDYF

or a headlamp is a must.

Viair 12v Compressor
Leatherman wave
Fixed blade knife
Surefire Headlamp, and 3 more flashlights (I collect them and rotate my old ones to the car)
ResQMe attached to headrest (pic attached)
Tools
Reflective vest
Gloves
Poncho
LED flares
Water (Voss because of the glass bottles)
Cliff bars (rotated frequently)
First aid kit (cuts and meds)
Trauma kit (life threatening) (pic attached)
Travel John gelling pee bags for the girls
2 Motorola GMRS Walkies (I treat them as 3 x AA battery holders for the AA flashlights)
Trash bags
Charger for every phone (micro usb, lightning x 4, USB C x 1)
Anker battery
Very warm jackets for the family vacuum packed
Emergency blanks for the family

On trips in tool bags
Arb strap and shackles
Super Z Snow cables (winter)
Arb tire repair kit
Yaesu ham radio in ammo box (might hardmount later since there is so much room under the seats) with mag mount antenna
Planning on spending the night even if it’s a day trip and pack accordingly

Future on a hitch carrier
Rotopax fuel container
Full size matching spare wheel/tire

Need to buy
Portable jump starter
A replacement for that junk oem battery

Trauma kit based on this
https://youtu.be/Q7ZdW70zYwc

Previously carried 2 of these
Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge to Stop Bleeding Fast – Zeolite Hemostatic Dressing, Trauma Kit, Bleeding Control Kits, IFAK, Tactical Medical Kit, First Aid Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BS2PW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JV6ACb7JFW9SZ

·
Registered
78 Posts
I kept a li-ion jumper in the trunk of my car last summer and the case split, I am assuming from heat. I'm guessing there is a risk of fire if the battery contents leak out?

From what I've read since then it seems that these batteries are intended to be stored at room temperature and not carried around as fulltime emergency gear. I'm keeping the replacement I bought on the shelf at home, and taking it along only on longer trips where I can be mindful of it.

Any comments?

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is what I carry - Half gallon water; 2 MREs; basic tools; jump starter; jumper cables; 2 reflective triangles; first aid kit; collapsible shovel (winter only); spring cable traction devices (winter only); long handled snow brush/scraper (winter only); waterproof heavy duty gloves; waterproof ground cloth - I think that's it, except for the items I forgot..oh, and a current AAA membership card.

Unless you live in a place that gets no snow at all, or use snow tires - I carry an "AutoSock" - it's only used to get you out of a spot - not for driving on. I also carry shoes and clothes to slip into if needed. Would hate to be in my "Sunday best" and get stuck. Also carry winter clothing that I wouldn't normally be wearing - an ugly heavy winter coat, ski mask, gloves that are too thick to drive with etc. And something for the ground in the event you have to change a tire.

Also - an "Energy Bar" - 5 year shelf life, found in the camping section at WalMart as well as online. I have a large plastic contain I keep in the back with everything in it.

For the battery, you can also buy a battery pack the size of a cell phone to jump start the car. These are also sold at WalMart next to the jumper cables and online.

Great list everyone is posting, Looks like I have everything covered. Make sure your water is in a contain that won't freeze and bust.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I kept a li-ion jumper in the trunk of my car last summer and the case split, I am assuming from heat. I'm guessing there is a risk of fire if the battery contents leak out?

From what I've read since then it seems that these batteries are intended to be stored at room temperature and not carried around as fulltime emergency gear. I'm keeping the replacement I bought on the shelf at home, and taking it along only on longer trips where I can be mindful of it.

Any comments?

I've never had one do that and haven't seen it mentioned online before. I've had one for about 5 years. It's in the back cargo area in the original box/carrying case and I also have the optional cargo cover.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Driver Door
Safety Vest
Work Gloves
Trauma Shears
Door Step
Maglite 4 Cell D Flashlight (between driver seat and center console)

In a Bin Behind Passenger
Blanket
Emergency Diaper Kit (for when i forget to refill diaper bag)
Rope Throw Bag
Warm Clothes

Rear Under Floor Compartment
Tools
Leatherman
Flares
Fire Extinguisher
Air Compressor
Mini Shovel
Rope
Spare Clothes

Randomly in the Rear
Overnight Bag (Blankets, Sheet, Pillow)
First Aid Kit
AED

·
Registered
422 Posts

Thanks,

I have a digital compressor with auto-cutoff that I had bought for the Crosstrek due to the AWD being more sensitive to tire pressure variations, and a full tire patch kit, and a bottle of Slime stuff. The Slime I have never had to use on a car, but I did use on my mountain bike, and it worked great. Also, I believe it's not potentially explosive like the other kind of junk you spray into the tire.

I also keep a small driver set in the back that includes various tips to fit all sorts of fasteners, and I have an offset driver on the way. I don't have flares, but I do have various color glow sticks, and two flashlights, one of which is rechargable through car power outlets and includes the little cover thingies that make it look like you could guide an aircraft in for a landing on a carrier deck. In the Ascent, I'm keeping most of that stuff in the small under-floor compartment in the back.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hmm I keep my car ready for most camping trips except the actual tent.

Under floor area in trunk:
Hatchet
Leather Insulated Work Gloves
Leather Work Gloves
Small Shovel
Tarp
Para-cord
First Aid Kit
Emergency Car Kit
-Jumper Cables
-Pliers
-Heat Blanket
-Spark Plug Cleaner
-Gloves (mechanic)
-Reflectors
Wood Boards for when stuck in mud or sand
small air pump
Cargo Cover (although I might take this out as I never use them)

Glove Box:
Flashlight
Gerber Multi-tool
AUX cable

Around the Car:
Multiple charging cables for all devices USB-C, Micro USB, Apple connector
Fast charging plug in 9V outlet
Cliff Bars (Kept in car for kids)
Blanket for dog between captains chairs

Things I will be adding at some point:
Recovery Strap
Hitch and Ball (in Basement right now)
Lithium Battery Jumper (A couple of rough starts has me on edge)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fun. Nice to find people that are as nutz as me. I carry most of what the long lists here have, but in addition, I have a hatchet, multiple ropes and paracord, shrink wrap (amazingly useful) a portable fishing pole with tackle that breaks down into a small case, filet knife and hunting knives, ratcheting tie down straps, three ball sizes for the convertaball on my hitch ball mount, I always have a d-handle real shovel, a large four way cross wrench, ballistol oil, bug spray, bright safety vest, and more. You know, I have so much stuff back there and stored in the other spots that I don’t think I know all of it anymore. The underfloor well is full and there is a full Rubbermaid tote in back also. I also try and keep most of the cup holders filled with full water bottles. And in an Ascent, that’s a good amount of water!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Does it fit without folding the second row seats down? Asking for a friend.
Yes, 3rd row does have to come down and it makes it more difficult to access the storage in the floor behind the bumper.

All kidding aside we are pretty minimal. Most of our driving is in city and around town. We do take extra tools/supplies when we go out to the country but even then we're rarely going to be without access to emergency services.

Tow strap
Straight receiver, drop receiver
Emergency blankets
Flashlight

·
Registered
71 Posts
No snow here, so my list isn't quite as extensive:
ugly knit cap
moth-eaten wool sweater
plastic poncho
mylar blankets
the ancient plaid blanket that my parents used to put over me when I slept in the backseat
leather work gloves
bright orange tarp
yellow & reflective vest
ratcheting screwdriver with self-stored tips
a couple of vise grips
bungies, rope, kayak's tie-downs and locking cable
new Weego jump starter
old Stanley jump starter: it doesn't hold enough charge for jumping, but light, usb charger, and air compressor still work
a Renogy flashlight that lives in a third-row cup holder, plugged into an adjoining USB
small fire extinguisher
flashlight in the driver's door
hidden house key and cash, in case my purse is stolen
the extra keys for hitch pin, roof rack, and all the other attachments
paper towels, wet wipes, nuts, advil, gum, pet food, a few water bottles

·
Registered
544 Posts

Any comments?
Rechargeable lithium 18650s don’t really do well in high temps for long term. Which is why all my flashlights are either CR123, envelop AA, or energizer lithium AA. Low self discharge, more tolerant of temp extremes.

What I’ll be doing is getting a better battery as I’ve seen the OEM dip below 12volts after sitting a few days. That thing will leave me stranded for sure.

Want to see if I can go slightly bigger without modifying any mounts/straps, etc

I’d purchase a lithium jump starter for trips or cool weather storage only.

I’d imagine a traditional jumper with a lead acid AGM would do better in hot temps at 4-6x the size and weight

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
My Emergency Kit

My "Emergency Kit" is probably a little different than most since I off-road, do a lot of beach adventures, and drive in road closing blizzards to take my "required personnel" brother to work and generally help the authorities pull people out of snow banks on the way home.

• 3 ton hydraulic floor jack
  • yank strap and shackles
  • hitch mount tow hook
  • jump starter/inverter/air compressor
  • shovel
  • emergency LED "flares"
  • blankets
  • garbage bags
  • sometimes a CB
  • full sized spare
  • full socket, bit, driver set
  • impact wrench
  • First aid kit

·
Registered
73 Posts
It’s filled with emergency gear 😀 this Nitecore VCL10 QuickCharge 3.0 USB Vehicle Multitool with White, Red Flashlight & Window Breaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXT7N1D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MP6ACb56ZRDYF

or a headlamp is a must.

Viair 12v Compressor
Leatherman wave
Fixed blade knife
Surefire Headlamp, and 3 more flashlights (I collect them and rotate my old ones to the car)
ResQMe attached to headrest (pic attached)
Tools
Reflective vest
Gloves
Poncho
LED flares
Water (Voss because of the glass bottles)
Cliff bars (rotated frequently)
First aid kit (cuts and meds)
Trauma kit (life threatening) (pic attached)
Travel John gelling pee bags for the girls
2 Motorola GMRS Walkies (I treat them as 3 x AA battery holders for the AA flashlights)
Trash bags
Charger for every phone (micro usb, lightning x 4, USB C x 1)
Anker battery
Very warm jackets for the family vacuum packed
Emergency blanks for the family

On trips in tool bags
Arb strap and shackles
Super Z Snow cables (winter)
Arb tire repair kit
Yaesu ham radio in ammo box (might hardmount later since there is so much room under the seats) with mag mount antenna
Planning on spending the night even if it’s a day trip and pack accordingly

Future on a hitch carrier
Rotopax fuel container
Full size matching spare wheel/tire

Need to buy
Portable jump starter
A replacement for that junk oem battery

Trauma kit based on this
https://youtu.be/Q7ZdW70zYwc

Previously carried 2 of these
Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge to Stop Bleeding Fast – Zeolite Hemostatic Dressing, Trauma Kit, Bleeding Control Kits, IFAK, Tactical Medical Kit, First Aid Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BS2PW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JV6ACb7JFW9SZ

do you pack all this on a shelf connected to the tow bar? This must fill up most of the 3rd row area otherwise

·
Registered
544 Posts
do you pack all this on a shelf connected to the tow bar? This must fill up most of the 3rd row area otherwise
No:devil:, what can I say there's a lot of unused space in a SUV and I like to be prepared. Injuring myself on an ATV (spiked peg into my leg after a fall) and only having a first aid kit with small bandages will never happen again.

If not adding things like Surefire lights/headlamps or Leatherman stuff and replacing with generic, the whole thing can be done for $150-$200

It's throughout the SUV based on frequency/urgency of use, including a back up diaper bag that takes up 30% of the space and full size golf umbrella. But on the driver door I have a flashlight and small traumapak. Need to access the first aid stuff fast and with one hand.

The trauma kit is velcro'd to under the front of the driver seat, 2 radios are under the seat, first aid kit is velcro'd to the little cargo ''nook''

Things like the reflective vest and poncho pack down small, almost the size of a CD jewel case. The LED Road flares don't take up much space

https://www.amazon.com/SlimK-Flashing-Roadside-Emergency-Magnetic/dp/B06XKB35CW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=led+road+flares&qid=1550611716&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I'll snap a picture once I get it organized but here's the first aid kit attached with velcro. IMO this is wasted space so perfect for the FAK (For free from Target if you buy first aid supplies to put in it).

The cargo area with the 3rd row down is taken up by 2 nesting and stackable bins (full ceiling height if both are used vertically makes me wish I got the Touring for the second rear camera!) baby carrier, clamp on baby seat for restaurants, shopping bags, and vacuum sealed jackets and a full size stroller most the time.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts