Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what does the maintenance minder base it’s recommendations on? I had an oil change at 6k and now close to 9k, and I am getting a change engine oil message on startup. So I have only 3k or less on my changed oil. So wondering what it’s based on? The only change to operating conditions is the last 1k was on mountainous regions. So wondering if that reminder goes off a schedule and maybe dealer did not reset it or if it’s based on something more scientific from the car 😀
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
The default should be 6K, but some dealers will change it to a shorter interval in hopes of coaxing you to come in early and spend money. You can put in the mileage/date-range specifications in the reminders to make them what you want.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The default should be 6K, but some dealers will change it to a shorter interval in hopes of coaxing you to come in early and spend money. You can put in the mileage/date-range specifications in the reminders to make them what you want.
I think their lounge w/ food and beverage is what coaxing ppl to come there more often ;) 😉 :p

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Disappointingly it is not a smart reminder based on driving habits between oil changes therefore I just leave it off.
The impressions of my friends who work with or on such cars, is that the "smart reminders" are useless and horribly inaccurate predictors of maintenance needs for things such as oil. They say that time and mileage based, with manual adjustments for "severe duty" are a better method than the "smart" oil quality reminders.

I've yet to look into their reasoning, and haven't formed an opinion.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have mainly had GM cars and used the oil smart reminder. I would however change my oil the weekend following the 25% mark. I have put over 150K miles on several of them using this method and one had over 325K mile. All of them were still running great when I gave them up. One of the things I liked about the smart reminders is that it takes into account highway vs city miles. Most of my miles are on the highway.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
GM's Oil Life Monitor has been in place for almost 25 years now on various models and I think the algorithm is pretty firmly established and rooted in a huge body of knowledge and experience by now. Honda's also had a Maintenance Minder for many years now, which tracks the type of driving done, metrics like # of cold starts, ambient temperature, idle time, etc. That's the real value of an estimation based on actual observed conditions.

In some cases, a 6k mile interval may be way too short. In other cases, a 6k mile interval may be way too long. The "or 6 months" caveat can help with that (if you haven't driven 6k miles in 6 months, then you're probably short-tripping it most of the time), but it's still not as optimal as good math.

·
Registered
'21 Ascent ISM Touring
15 Posts
This is actually quite surprising, as I would think Subaru would have enough data to also have a maintenance reminder ability based on actual use logged on the in car computers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.