Subaru Ascent Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
OEM Trailer hitch.. did the entire job with my father in law in about an hour and a half.

Rallysport mud flaps in black with red logo.. did that myself in around 30 minutes... took more time to jack up and pull the rear tires than it did to mount the flaps.

color matched body side molding in magnetite grey metallic.. did it myself.

currently waiting on fedex to deliver the rear seat back covers and the cargo tray.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
766 Posts
I gave it a self inflicted "Christmas Tree" dash 150 miles into 200 mile trip. I was careless gasing up at Costco because of the rain and a lineup at my pump.

Got the dreaded Christmas tree at 75mph on the highway. The ACC and Lane Keep dropped off line. As punishment I drove the last 50 miles without any aids knowing it was probably the gas cap, which it was.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
142 Posts
I high centered mine and had to get pulled out by a kind stranger with a recovery strap.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
Do you have any pics? We love details! Where were you when you high centered it?

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
142 Posts
Do you have any pics? We love details! Where were you when you high centered it?
I only thought about the pics once we were unstuck. If I'd had all my own recovery gear (a topic of another post), I would have been less anxious about getting unstuck and more likely to take pictures.

We were headed up to go hiking and at ~4000ft, hit a lot more snow than the trail report I'd read from last week led us to believe was there. There were good tracks through it and I stopped and puzzled it out before going for it. But my eyes didn't measure the center height accurately enough.

Once we got unstuck, we went ahead and hiked up the road another half mile or so and discovered the places where the trucks that had made it through where I got stuck turned around and came back. So I guess it's good we got stuck as early as we did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Finally got the hitch installed and then headed to a friend's property for some camping and gravel riding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I finally got around to installing a single Oznium LED bolt light in the top of the rear cargo area. I followed a couple of the documented instructions on this forum so there were not too many surprises. I ended up soldering the light to the OEM cargo light switch in order to turn on/off as needed. Now I can see a lot more in the night unloading my trunk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Put some rain guards on from C&C CarWorx $117- and picked up a windshield shade from eBay for $60-

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Forward differential fluid drain and fill, tire rotation, removed screw from face of tire and installed a plug. Hopefully that will cure a slow leak that has been bothering us for a while…

regarding the differential service, it really isn’t difficult. Maybe the most difficult part was finding the T-70 torx bit followed by reaching the vent plug on the passenger side behind the engine. Other than that, if you are remotely mechanically inclined this is an easy job. The rear is even easier!

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
142 Posts
I spent a couple of hours at the dealership and got all of the outstanding TSBs completed on my 2019 Limited.
They also threw in a new paint job and this cool new badge.

Ok…fine, we traded up to a 2021 Touring. There was no wiggle room on the price (MSRP or GTFO, which is what I heard from 2 dealers in the area, 2 others were adding $2-3K over). But we got the hitch receiver thrown in, a $1000 loyalty credit and they transferred our maintenance plan contract and reset it to the original 3 years.
We also got almost $7K more on our trade than we owed.
Pro-tip on that, if you’ve got a CarMax in your area, get a written quote from them before you go to the dealership. We were offered $31k by the dealership, which was $4k less than the CarMax quote. When we showed them that, they immediately matched it, no question.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
I painted my mufflers black. You know so you don't see those two big cans from the back. I suggest we all do it.
That’s not a bad idea. What paint did you use and did you just paint the visible areas or all the way around?
Some have gone with clear paint (muffler delete) 😉

·
Registered
102 Posts
I painted my mufflers black. You know so you don't see those two big cans from the back. I suggest we all do it. View attachment 12568 View attachment 12568
Now look at my wife's sister's Ascent.
20210604_163355_03.jpg
That’s not a bad idea. What paint did you use and did you just paint the visible areas or all the way around?
Some have gone with clear paint (muffler delete) 😉
I used the Krylon high heat. The red Ascent is not mine,it belongs to my wife's sister. She didn't want me to paint hers ,just yet. No idea why as I didn't press her . A US its not my car. The other two family members want me to paint theres.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Did a quick wash and changed the cabin air filter. Crazy how grimy it got! I shudder at the thought of all the years I didnt have a cabin filter in my older car.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Gross!
I changed the air filter on my daily driver and found a dead mouse in the housing…good thing it didn’t chew its way through it!

161 - 180 of 182 Posts