Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
I disagree. While I am sometimes organized and focused, other times I meander and explore. I don't seem to suffer ill effects that I can discern as a result. In fact, it makes me happy.

Sure, you can always point to time as a limited resource, but as that's a constant for all the things in the known universe, it's not really helpful to do so. Just like a record company could be considered to have a scarcity of resources in that it takes time to make a copy of a digital music file, one could argue that posters in a forum suffer a scarcity of resources in that it takes time to create even the shortest of posts. However, this "scarcity" is miniscule to the point of irrelevancy as the time it takes to create most posts is so short that arguing that posting in one thread will prevent posting in other due to the time it takes does not hold up to scrutiny. I've personally observed many posters in forums who were able to post in both "What have you done..." threads as well as more detailed and specifically informative threads, quite prolifically I might add. I invite anyone who cares to check to look into any of the threads you linked and explore the posting histories of participants. I'm quite confident similar results will be found.

In the meantime we, mainly you, have managed to muck up a perfectly fine and valid thread. That seems to be a practice on this forum that's more common than on other car forums I've frequented, and I don't feel that's a good thing. Sorry to the rest of y'all. I get baited when I see opinion presented as objective fact. I'll work on it.
If we have mucked up this one thread, then unlike other forums, we'll have narrowly escaped falling into a trap which has mucked up entire forums. Again, I point you to the examples I provided as proof of how certain viral threads can significantly damage an entire forum.

A quick example. After this thread grows and grows out of control as all What did you do to your xxxx today threads do, someone will post here that today they pulled a 3,500 lb trailer. A discussion about it will then ensue for perhaps several pages. This discussion will not be duplicated where it actually belongs inside a properly titled, searchable thread because few people ever cross post and repeat themselves. This potentially valuable discussion is now hopelessly embedded inside a massive thread that has absolutely nothing to do with pulling trailers. Later, many people will come along looking for info about pulling trailers. They won't look here because they simply do not have the time to read hundreds or even thousands of pages to hopefully find such info. So this particular discussion, potentially containing vital information, is now lost. Repeat this again and again with hundreds and hundreds of more subjects forever lost inside this uncontrollable thread. If you think this is incorrect, again simply look at the examples I provided. You'll see discussion after discussion lost within a massive viral thread of white noise.

Why you or anyone else thinks this is a good idea I simply do not understand. I highly recommend to everyone to avoid this thread and to continue to post subjects in properly titled threads as you now do where they belong so that you and others will always be easily able to locate these discussions and so that the discussions will be able to continue. Otherwise, you will always need to page after page through this thread to look for lost information on a subject you may be interested in.

A forum should always be a resource of valuable, searchable information that is reasonably well organized so that you can easily find the information you require and read about the subjects you're interested in within a reasonable amount of time. Please, for everyone's sake, don't let this forum devolve into a mess as so many others have. This one thread simply isn't worth that risk.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I equally don't understand the hysterics and melodrama over a forum thread. Is this the only source of information gathering and dissemination you use? Are you not capable of asking/posting questions? Using search functions/pages? Honestly, you're trying to turn a mole hill into a mountain here, it's plain silly.

·
Registered
865 Posts
As a third party, let me point out that you both have valid points. :cool:

Starting this thread was made in good spirit, and this forum can use it! It's a nice jump starter to garner some enthusiam for the Acsent. Since every forum has one of these, it's inevitable. So what can actually be changed? Perhaps down the line when this place is thriving, the thread can be closed by a mod to encourage topics to branch out into dedicated topics (with a proper last post to direct people). ...just a thought. Otherwise, yes, this can eventually become a disorganized black hole. It's almost like our server here at the office/lab (did I just admit to browsing this forum at the office? 😇). You seed it with few folders, then you have to take "clippings" after a while and plant them in more suitable places. The growth happens naturally after a contrived initial effort. Except here in a forum, posts are typically left where they are instead of merged into more approriate threads. Nobody gets paid enough to actually take on that task and people would complain, so what do you do?

I'll try to post more on here, but I really don't have much. I'm watiing for a rear sway bar to be released, and that's kind of it. So I partially blame the lack of aftermarket support. I don't have many pictures to post because I don't really take pictures of my car when I'm actually doing something where the car was just a vehicle (pun intended) to get from A to B.

Remember that thread a while back asking to post pictures of the Ascent in "the city". It was a cool idea but it fizzled out pretty quickly. All I could think of was, "should I post a picture of my car in a concrete parking structure?". Anyway, there were a bunch of cool posts last year when a lot of the early adopters were figuring stuff out and outfitting their cars. Maybe it's the demographic, since we're driving borderline minivans.

But to get sort of back on topic, today if I have time I will try to chase down a little rattle that sounds like it's coming from the right dash or door. It's a very light rattle that makes a sound like a small paper clip would sitting loosely in one of the door pockets, except the door is empty. It's not my sunglasses either...

·
Registered
914 Posts
I equally don't understand the hysterics and melodrama over a forum thread. Is this the only source of information gathering and dissemination you use? Are you not capable of asking/posting questions? Using search functions/pages? Honestly, you're trying to turn a mole hill into a mountain here, it's plain silly.
There is no need to agree with me or get angry. People rarely agree on everything. You made your point and I've made mine. We can agree to disagree without the need for passive-aggressive insults.

I'm simply pointing out a very serious flaw with this specific kind of a thread. I believe my point is valid and relevant and in the best interest of this forum and the people who use it. I can show you several threads here that were less than 20 pages long where people made it a point to say they didn't have time to read so many pages. You can imagine how they would feel about a thread that grows uncontrollably to hundreds or thousands of pages. I also feel that locating valuable information in easily located titled threads is something most people would agree is very important and should not be degraded by a single frivolous thread.

I've made my point, and unless you want to keep needlessly arguing about it, that's all I have to say.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
THIS SECTION OF THE FORUM WILL REMAIN:
Any legitimate use of one's Ascent, or any planned future use that warrants announcing before it happens, will be allowed to be posted in this section.

It is common on other forums for a reason. Many people like hearing about others' vehicle adventures or activity, whether mundane or insane.

If a topic is totally not related to this section, such as the debate about the section (which really belongs elsewhere), the topic can be "Reported" with a note that it belongs elsewhere, and I or another Moderator will move it. Reporting a post does not have to happen only about bad posts - it can be done to bring our attention to something as well, such as the need to merge a topic or move a topic (which we will do or not do after reviewing any provided rational).

So, with that said, let's get back to the actual section topic, which is what did everyone do with their Ascent today?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Finally installed the auto dimming side mirrors after 5 months of them sitting in the garage.

Simple install, hardest part was the initial pull of the old mirrors to pop them off and lining the new mirrors up to snap them into place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My interior LED bulbs came in yesterday. I will need to find some time to install them and perhaps re-watch Robert's install video to refresh my mind.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Today I noticed the dealer applied logo/lettering was starting to peel off from my trunk area. With a gentle tug with fingernails, all of the lettering came off and the left-over adhesive just rubbed off! I'm so happy the free advertisement is gone and makes the rear so much cleaner looking!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Share what you did today with your 2019+ Subaru Ascent community!

Example: Checked myself out of the "Waiter's Club", Went to the dealership to pick up my Ascent!

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Brought the Ascent to a detailer and got it sealed and waxed.

Anything goes!
I have had my 2" hitch Yakima Swing Daddy bike rack in storage until I got my new vehicle that could handle it. The Ascent fit the bill, so I finally pulled t out of the garage and it looks like it will work great. I have an older version than the link presents and will eventually post pictures. I love that I can simply swing all my family bikes out of the way to open the Ascent rear hatch without taking off a bike. It has a built in lock and robust rubber hold downs. The hitch connector also locks into the 2" hitch space with a through bolt.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Getting a matching full size spare and test fitting a hitch mounted tire carrier prototype for trips. So I will have 2 spares.

Also getting tires rotated.

Does anyone know if I can have a 5th tpms sensor cloned? If not I will probably do a 4 tire rotation and shave the full size spare before every trip.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got tired of the phone cable that my wife/passengers use just dangling and not really having a place. I installed a small magnetic mount so that the cable now has a place to be parked when not in use.
View attachment 1522
View attachment 1523

That thing is handy! I've been using desk style cord catchers like this since I have a ton

and....ordered Primitive Skidplates today

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Replaced all of the dome lights and door lights with these:

Replaced vanity lights with these, but had to turn the LED diods facing away as they're too bright and wasn't able to find anything with a lower lumen output

Installed these to protect the doors

replaced the OE filter with a K&N.. I think it adds 15HP and 30lbs of torque or maybe double that lol In any case, I have a reusable filter

Replaced the front and rear amber turn signals with LED's, I used load resisters to prevent hyperflash

Replaced the reverse lights with these

Now, i'm thinking of a better solution to light the rear cargo. Even If i replace the light on the left side, the position is still very poor as anything can block the light. I'll have to think about that one.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Replaced all of the dome lights and door lights with these:

Replaced vanity lights with these, but had to turn the LED diods facing away as they're too bright and wasn't able to find anything with a lower lumen output

Installed these to protect the doors

replaced the OE filter with a K&N.. I think it adds 15HP and 30lbs of torque or maybe double that lol In any case, I have a reusable filter

Replaced the front and rear amber turn signals with LED's, I used load resisters to prevent hyperflash

Replaced the reverse lights with these

Now, i'm thinking of a better solution to light the rear cargo. Even If i replace the light on the left side, the position is still very poor as anything can block the light. I'll have to think about that one.
This is excellent information. It should be posted in the Interior/Exterior LED Upgrade Bulb Guide thread where people can readily find it, rather than here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great! I'm thinking of purchasing the same one. Do you have a front profile photo of your car with the cargo box? Also, do you have room to move the cargo box to one side and mount a bike rack next to it?
Bought a cargo box today

Thule Motion XT-XXL (biggest one they make) on low profile brightlines crossbars

Perfect fit for the Ascent in my opinion and is silent at highway speeds. I couldn’t hear any added noise

View attachment 1654

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks great! I'm thinking of purchasing the same one. Do you have a front profile photo of your car with the cargo box? Also, do you have room to move the cargo box to one side and mount a bike rack next to it?
Hello, sorry don’t have a front pic and it’s off the Ascent now.

With it mounted I probably had 4” on each side before the vertical factory rails

Not sure how wide a bike is including crank but I wouldn’t do it. I would go with the oversized bars. As is it only holds 110 more lbs including the weight of the box.

However due to the way the Thule clamps on I guess you can shift it over but the box will hang outside the factory rails and be slightly higher in the middle....which would drive me nuts 😀

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the reply! I really like the way the aero crossbars look on the Ascent but I guess I would have to go with the 66" Yakima round bars to make all the cargo box and bike fit.
Hello, sorry don’t have a front pic and it’s off the Ascent now.

With it mounted I probably had 4” on each side before the vertical factory rails

Not sure how wide a bike is including crank but I wouldn’t do it. I would go with the oversized bars. As is it only holds 110 more lbs including the weight of the box.

However due to the way the Thule clamps on I guess you can shift it over but the box will hang outside the factory rails and be slightly higher in the middle....which would drive me nuts 😀

21 - 40 of 86 Posts