Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Administrator
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Share what you did today with your 2019+ Subaru Ascent community!

Example: Checked myself out of the "Waiter's Club", Went to the dealership to pick up my Ascent!

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Brought the Ascent to a detailer and got it sealed and waxed.

Anything goes!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Share what you did today with your 2019+ Subaru Ascent community!

Example: Checked myself out of the "Waiter's Club", Went to the dealership to pick up my Ascent!

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Brought the Ascent to a detailer and got it sealed and waxed.

Anything goes!

Seems forced...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Seems forced...
This statement might get me banned (hope not): but the admins for this site is probably the worst I've seen of any forums I actively participate in. There are near zero responses to our requests for improvements and none have taken place; the forced multiple new threads to bait us into talking (fortunately unsuccessfully). Try harder, admins... you all have been terrible.

If there is anyone on this site who wants to create a new site that's more legitimately an Ascent interest group - please do.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The "What did you do to your xxxx today?" is a very common "anything goes" trash thread on many forums. I personally think it's way too broad and really hoped not to see one here because it always becomes a massive catch-all dumping ground for far too many numerous topics which then makes it very hard to properly search for and discuss specific topics. Sigh. :confused:

But now it exists on this forum, and watch it take off. Unfortunately, it usually becomes one of the most used threads on other forums and quickly becomes a mosh pit mess of unrelated topics that would be much better discussed in separate, properly labeled threads.

This is something effective admins should discourage, not encourage.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think you're missing the point of the thread. This thread isn't to discuss specific topics, IMO it's for seeing what other folks are doing with/to/for their cars and perhaps gain some ideas/inspiration. If something mentioned in this thread generates interest in an individual, there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from creating a new, or participating in an existing, thread on that particular topic.

TL:DR I disagree that this is a "junk" thread, I think you aren't getting the point.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think you're missing the point of the thread. This thread isn't to discuss specific topics, IMO it's for seeing what other folks are doing with/to/for their cars and perhaps gain some ideas/inspiration. If something mentioned in this thread generates interest in an individual, there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from creating anew, or participating in an existing, thread on that particular topic.

TL:DR I disagree that this is a "junk" thread, I think you aren't getting the point.
I'm definitely not missing the point, but most people who are drawn to this topic are. I comprehensively analyze forums having participated in them for decades, even before the advent of the Internet. There are certain specific threads that quickly and effectively degrade forums, and this is one of the prime examples.

Go analyze this thread topic on any other vehicle forum. You'll see that's it's usually one of the largest and most watered down threads sucking the life and order out of the rest of the forum like a parasite, drawing massive attention away from well organized, substantial threads. I've seen it happen time and time again, yet most people don't notice. I cringe whenever I see this thread on forums.

Analyze this forum. You'll see that the majority of threads here are less than 20 pages long. This is exactly how it should be to properly disseminate organized information. After all, how much time do you have to read pages upon pages of forum posts? Yet the "What did you do your xxxx today?" threads are a different beast. They take over forums with many hundreds, even thousands, of pages like noxious weeds growing in a once well-manicured lawn.

Here are some quick examples:
What did you do to your integra today? - 138 Pages
What did you do with your Mustang today? - 591 Pages
What did you do to your Civic today? - 673 Pages
What did you do to your Jeep JL today? -1209 Pages
What did you do to your subie today? - 1089 Pages
What did you do with your 4runner today? - 2189 Pages

I can go on and on. The Mazda MX5 forum I used to follow has four such threads, one for each model:
What did you do to your NA today?
What did you do to your NB today?
What did you do to your NC today?
What did you do to your ND today?
totaling over 4,000 pages! That's pages, not posts. Over time, posts can total in the many tens of thousands. What effect do you think that has on the rest of the forum when one highly generalized topic draws away so much vital attention that would have been discussed much more effectively on other threads? And how do you effectively search for anything specific in the middle of a massive many thousand page, 25,000 post thread?

Do you want to waste your valuable time reading thousands of pages of a thread with tens of thousands of posts about many hundreds of separate topics when you're looking for vital information? Or would you prefer to find what you're looking for in concise, well-organized threads focusing on a specific topic at hand?

You don't need to take my word for it, just look at the examples I've shown. This topic is like a computer virus to previously well-organized forums. You'll see.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think you're WAY too focused on organizing and analyzing stuff. I would submit that if the majority of folks like this kind of thread, desire to participate in this kind of thread, find value in this kind of thread, and have no issue with this kind of thread in the forums they frequent, then the fault does not lie with this kind of thread. I've also seen this near exact thread in other forums, and have never found it to be a problem. I'll point to the Crosstrek forum specifically, although I also enjoyed it in the Miata forum when I owned my NB. I honestly find, at the moment, the Crosstrek forum to be a more positive, informative and enjoyable forum to read than this Ascent forum (I feel the same about the Miata forum). They've had their massive "What did you..." thread for a long time, yet IMO it's still a more enjoyable forum. You're comitting the same logical fallacy that folks use to argue against digital piracy. (disclaimer: I'm not arguing that digital piracy is a good thing, only that the argument that digital piracy steals from legitimate sales is not logically sound). You are arguing that this kind of thread "steals" from other, more "organized" threads. This implies a scarcity of resources (posts) that does not exist. I'm not going to go check (cuz I don't feel like it), but I'd be willing to bet that the massive versions of this thread you linked have taken years to get to the size they are. It's not like they reached those lengths in a week or two. Heck, even if they did, that would just indicate that's the kind of thread many forum-readers want to interact with. that makes you the outlier and minority opinion regarding that sort of thread. I'm not trying to bust on ya pro, I find you opinions and posts to be excellent and generally positive as well as informative. I just happen to disagree with you in this instance. Not everything has to be "informative" or "organized" to have value. I'm sure this is not going to be helpful for you, but I feel compelled to point it out anyway. If you don't like this kind of thread, I'm fairly sure there is nothing outside of yourself that is compelling you to read or participate in it. On top of that my personal experience seems to contradict yours that this thread will somehow harm the quality of this forum as a whole.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think you're WAY too focused on organizing and analyzing stuff. I would submit that if the majority of folks like this kind of thread, desire to participate in this kind of thread, find value in this kind of thread, and have no issue with this kind of thread in the forums they frequent, then the fault does not lie with this kind of thread. I've also seen this near exact thread in other forums, and have never found it to be a problem. I'll point to the Crosstrek forum specifically, although I also enjoyed it in the Miata forum when I owned my NB. I honestly find, at the moment, the Crosstrek forum to be a more positive, informative and enjoyable forum to read than this Ascent forum (I feel the same about the Miata forum). They've had their massive "What did you..." thread for a long time, yet IMO it's still a more enjoyable forum. You're comitting the same logical fallacy that folks use to argue against digital piracy. (disclaimer: I'm not arguing that digital piracy is a good thing, only that the argument that digital piracy steals from legitimate sales is not logically sound). You are arguing that this kind of thread "steals" from other, more "organized" threads. This implies a scarcity of resources (posts) that does not exist. I'm not going to go check (cuz I don't feel like it), but I'd be willing to bet that the massive versions of this thread you linked have taken years to get to the size they are. It's not like they reached those lengths in a week or two. Heck, even if they did, that would just indicate that's the kind of thread many forum-readers want to interact with. that makes you the outlier and minority opinion regarding that sort of thread. I'm not trying to bust on ya pro, I find you opinions and posts to be excellent and generally positive as well as informative. I just happen to disagree with you in this instance. Not everything has to be "informative" or "organized" to have value. I'm sure this is not going to be helpful for you, but I feel compelled to point it out anyway. If you don't like this kind of thread, I'm fairly sure there is nothing outside of yourself that is compelling you to read or participate in it. On top of that my personal experience seems to contradict yours that this thread will somehow harm the quality of this forum as a whole.
Sure, I don't have to read it, and I won't. But that's kind of the point. So much information which was once well organized and properly discussed in other threads will now end up here in a mosh pit of unsearchable mixed subject posts. Again, I point to the many thousand page threads I've shown above as existing examples. What other thread accumulates thousands of pages over time??

You are correct, this is indeed the kind of thread many forum-readers want to interact with, it seems so harmless and fun. But it's at their own peril, much like an addiction to gaming. This thread by its nature acts like a virus drawing in people and disorganizing and degrading forums. I've seen it happen so many times. And those who choose not to read its many thousands of pages will end up with much less information than they once had.

I don't want to belabor the point, but all forums and those who read and participate in them do have limited resources. These days we only have so much time to spend on so many things. I do indeed focus on organizing and analyzing because, in this day and age of massive information overload, it has become a necessity. Gone are the days where you could take a week to casually read your latest copy of Popular Mechanics. There are now virtually unlimited resources of information online demanding your attention, the only way to somehow deal with them all in a limited amount of time is to be organized and focused.

But that's me, I don't speak for everyone. If you enjoy this type of thread, that's up to you. My observation from many other forums is that viral fluff like this is a serious distraction and a drain on far more important topics that need to be discussed, and makes it much harder to search and find the info you're looking for when so many topics are needlessly crammed into a single multi-thousand-page thread with tens of thousands of posts. No one has time to deal with that. That's no way to manage an effective forum.

Yet now this virus of a thread has once again arrived here. I guess there was no stopping it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I disagree. While I am sometimes organized and focused, other times I meander and explore. I don't seem to suffer ill effects that I can discern as a result. In fact, it makes me happy.

Sure, you can always point to time as a limited resource, but as that's a constant for all the things in the known universe, it's not really helpful to do so. Just like a record company could be considered to have a scarcity of resources in that it takes time to make a copy of a digital music file, one could argue that posters in a forum suffer a scarcity of resources in that it takes time to create even the shortest of posts. However, this "scarcity" is miniscule to the point of irrelevancy as the time it takes to create most posts is so short that arguing that posting in one thread will prevent posting in other due to the time it takes does not hold up to scrutiny. I've personally observed many posters in forums who were able to post in both "What have you done..." threads as well as more detailed and specifically informative threads, quite prolifically I might add. I invite anyone who cares to check to look into any of the threads you linked and explore the posting histories of participants. I'm quite confident similar results will be found.

In the meantime we, mainly you, have managed to muck up a perfectly fine and valid thread. That seems to be a practice on this forum that's more common than on other car forums I've frequented, and I don't feel that's a good thing. Sorry to the rest of y'all. I get baited when I see opinion presented as objective fact. I'll work on it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts