Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Several people tried several of the built in hitch weight devices and several of the OBDII/automatic devices. When compared with a bathroom scale and 2x4 method they all had such wide variances in the weight read that they were not useful.

It's not like they were 25lbs low all the time or anything like that which can be compensated for.... sometimes 50lbs over, sometimes 30 lbs under, etc.

And I've towed over 5,000 miles now with most of the loads >4,500lbs. Biggest was 5,750 when I towed my Tesla to the track. (I know.... 750lbs over the limit! )

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get it but there are many underlying factors with bathroom scale e also position and so on I drive a tractor trailer for a living and same goes with the air bag gauges but it gets you close I just wondered if these guys actually have used them so if not just word of mouth just saying

·
Registered
18 Posts
when I hauled steel with 48 foot spread axle aluminum trailer I could be legal on all axles but over gross right around 50000

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
A few pounds is insignificant when hauling 50k. Scale it down to the Ascent towing specs and suddenly 25lb is significant.
Yes, using a bathroom scale isn’t without challenges to align properly but it can be accurate if done right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
so you have had Weigh safe ??
The Weigh Safe hitch is very quality, but as others have said, don't rely on the scale for very detailed weighing. I've had one on my 3500 GMC dually for 4 years now and love it. It seems to be very accurate, but the scale is very small (not bad if you have a 1400lb hitch tongue limit) and I've checked mine against known weights numerous times through the years and it's always been on. It'll serve you very well, but be sure to double check your tongue weight until you get to know your setup really well and how it balances out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I use a weigh safe hitch on our ascent, for the money a quality drop/rise hitch will cost and the weight of the setup its a very good option. And its pretty! The scale to me is a bonus, I check it and after a few trips you can feel the difference in the hitch weights. I adjust ours to always be right at 500 lbs and that hasn't been an issue yet.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts