Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a little coolant to top off the plastic bottle and it got me to thinking what coolant is needed. For what little I needed I used distilled water. The owners manual says Subaru Super Coolant. I went to Subaru online parts looked up Subaru Super Coolant and got a nice picture of the 1gal bottle and this:

NOT FOR SALE
No Longer Available For Purchase

What are we supposed to use?

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Do your own research, but typically you'll only need to meet the certifications listed on the branded coolant (HOAT?).

Valvoline, for example, has an Asian Vehicle Specific coolant. It's even blue.
Alas, not. Tests have shown that mixing the wrong coolants with OEM extended life coolants can cause corrosion and/or shorten coolant life.

I simply let my dealership top off fluids as part of the multipoint inspection.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Alas, not. Tests have shown that mixing the wrong coolants with OEM extended life coolants can cause corrosion and/or shorten coolant life.

Completely agree regarding top-off and mixing. Not worth the hassle, especially while under warranty.

Do not agree when it comes to a flush & replace. This gets into the debate of "which is better, imitation vanilla or real vanilla" when, molecularly, they're identical. :) However, that's my opinion based on my research. As they say, YMMV!

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Right, but I don't think he's talking about "flush and replace" - not for a half cup or full cup of coolant to get through the winter months. ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct, I am just looking to get some for topping off. I will think about flush and replace after a couple more years when I hit 135K miles.

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Do they do your oil changes? If so, simply bring it up. I've never had my dealership let me leave without topping off fluids (unasked).

·
Registered
548 Posts
^ I'm a self-serve kind of guy, too. :)

^ Despite some folks reporting getting the "old" Super Long Life Coolant" (green), I took a chance - mine arrived as-described.

That seems expensive. I’ll check my dealer next week.
Yes, it is a bit. Retail should be around $26 to $28, plus tax. My dealership is a bit out of my way, so I just decided to pay for the mindless convenience of having Jeff Bezos deliver it to my front porch. :p

·
Registered
69 Posts

Agreed. I have a friend that used green antifreeze in a 1999 Avalon. Not a happy time after a few years.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I needed a little coolant to top off the plastic bottle and it got me to thinking what coolant is needed. For what little I needed I used distilled water. The owners manual says Subaru Super Coolant. I went to Subaru online parts looked up Subaru Super Coolant and got a nice picture of the 1gal bottle and this:

NOT FOR SALE
No Longer Available For Purchase

What are we supposed to use?
the dealerships can top off your coolant when you visit them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts