Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are buying an Ascent Premium 7-Passenger Convenience package with the trailer hitch and rear bumper cover. We plan on buying many of the easy install accessories (seat covers, floor mats, etc) separately at the dealer. Are there any other accessories we should look into that any of you experienced owners recommend? Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love my rubber cargo area mats and seat backs Also love my organizer, I keep my reusable grocery bags in there so they don’t fall all over the back of the car. Not happy with my weather mats, the sides do not go up as high as I would like. I plan on getting the Weather Tech floor mats.
Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
My wife and I are buying an Ascent Premium 7-Passenger Convenience package with the trailer hitch and rear bumper cover. We plan on buying many of the easy install accessories (seat covers, floor mats, etc) separately at the dealer. Are there any other accessories we should look into that any of you experienced owners recommend? Thank you!
Much better mats are available aftermarket. Subaru Windshield sunscreen is great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We're very pleased with the factory all weather mats and recommend them.

The rear cargo mat is also worth it IMHO... But I skipped on the seat back guard... I don't really miss it. I just throw an old blanket down when I haul stuff.

Finally, I did go OEM on the roof rails too... But, keep an eye out for a 2nd hand set to save some cash.

Congrats on your purchase!!! It's a great vehicle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Love my rubber cargo area mats and seat backs Also love my organizer, I keep my reusable grocery bags in there so they don’t fall all over the back of the car. Not happy with my weather mats, the sides do not go up as high as I would like. I plan on getting the Weather Tech floor mats.
FYI the Weather Tech floor mats don't go all the way up and cover to the sill either. Neither do the Husky Liners.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Windshield screen fits perfectly, highly recommended. Cargo cover comes in handy. The cargo net we carried over from our Honda Pilot has also come in handy which the Ascent has it’s own version. LED lighting helps with battery drain when your kids decide to bump the lights before getting out of the car and leaving it on all night. The 3rd row shades are good to go also. Rubber floor mats work for us. Could it be better? Yes, but not enough to spend anymore money to replace them.

We went with aftermarket crossbars (Yakima). That extends past the roof rails to maximize the space. Aero versions to cut down on wind noise and eliminate the use of a fairing. We also have an aftermarket Thule cargo box we’ve had for 9 years now. The Thule Subaru accessories will absolutely be solid. However, if you want to save a little money shop around for the same accessories either online or locally. Outdoor shops in your area have a sale at least once a year offering at least 20% off of Yakima and Thule products. That’s if carrying cargo, bikes, etc. is your thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All Thule products go on 20 % off sale during the holidays at EMS. Thule products are also all Craigs list.

We got the Weather tech mats and like them but yes the front ones do not go all the way up the side by the door but much better coverage than the OEM ones

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
As someone else mentioned, the third row seat back covers are a huge convenience if you switch between third row up and down a lot.

My personal favorite is the auto-dimming side mirrors, if available.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
I highly recommend doing a DYI LED interior bulb upgrade as mentioned already, there is a long thread with links to several sources that are a fraction of the dealer cost.

My 3rd row is always folded down so the seat back covers are great, the rear cargo tray is ok, probably better than nothing. I always keep the rear cargo area cover closed, but wish it was a couple of inches wider than it is, there are gaps along the sides, still better than nothing.

I'm not planning on replacing the all weather floor mats that came with it, it only takes a few seconds to lift up the edges while I'm vacuuming the floor.

My Limited came with locking lug nuts, but I probably wouldn't have ordered them.

The auto dimming exterior mirrors are nice too.

Reactions: Erik and JustinPoe

·
Registered
62 Posts
For me, there are 3 "must haves".

Third Row Seat Back Covers
I didn't have these in my Forester, I just threw down blankets if I needed to haul something, but still tore up the back of the seats really bad after 75k miles. I love having them on the Ascent. If you find yourself laying the seats down a lot, I highly recommend them.

Cargo Tray
Yeah, it's flimsy but it does exactly what I want it to do.

All Weather Floor Liners
I didn't order these separate, they happened to be with the car already, but I'm really glad I have them. I can't compare them to aftermarket liners but I have zero complaints about them and they are leaps and bounds better than the regular cloth mats.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
My favs are:
  1. OEM Hitch Receiver
  2. Third Row Seat back Protector and Cargo Area Cover
  3. All Weather Floor Liners

·
Registered
927 Posts
For my premium, I bought:
  • RF radio upgrade
  • all weather floor mats
  • 2nd row built in sunshades (it's Phoenix!)
  • OEM Hitch

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
For my premium, I bought:
  • RF radio upgrade
  • all weather floor mats
  • 2nd row built in sunshades (it's Phoenix!)
  • OEM Hitch
Oooh, forgot about the 2nd row sunshades!!! Those and the third row ones are also awesome to obscure view of the back of the car.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
I've long wondered by car makers (especially Subaru with its "outdoorsy" image) don't make the all weather mats the standard with the carpet mats the option.
I think the carpet mats are prettier, but, I obviously couldn't survive with them. Nonetheless, I think not as many people do crazy things with their cars as one would think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nonetheless, I think not as many people do crazy things with their cars as one would think.
That's likely very true. Most of offroad capable vehicles (and motorcycles like BMW GS) will never see dirty roads. Most will serve as people haulers and grocery getters. Just as my The North Face jacket will keep me warm from my car to office building, not on Mt. Rainier.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's likely very true. Most of offroad capable vehicles (and motorcycles like BMW GS) will never see dirty roads. Most will serve as people haulers and grocery getters. Just as my The North Face jacket will keep me warm from my car to office building, not on Mt. Rainier.
Sure, but I'm not talking about seriously roughing it. Just any given day of rain or snow with five or more people getting into and out of the car multiple times in a day. Who wants carpeted floor mats in their people mover? Desert dwellers, maybe?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts