Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
@Zambonikane glad to hear you’re making progress! It can be a pita doing them but they look so good afterward. What color are you doing and did the one kit cover enough to do the front and rear? I covered it in another thread but I used 1 whole kit on the rear and another on the front to do yellow. If you’re truly not in a hurry I’d recommend giving them a ceramic coating after painting to make cleaning easier.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Photos and process description here: Brake Calipers like they should have Been!
I am going for it as well. In fact I think I will buy two kits so my son and I can do both his Impreza and my Ascent. It will be a nice father/son project and he has wanted this from day one he bought his vehicle. I just have to clandestinely learn his preferred color.

I have read G2 faq and instructions. I figure I will get a small copper wire brush. What width masking tape works best?

Do you have any pointers that you learned from your process? Did you remove the pads to paint the entire caliber? I am not sure I am up for that at this time. I just want a bit of color (I have not decided what color for the Ascent) and rust protection.

I have the 2019 Blue Ascent and my son has a 2018 Subaru Impreza Blue (stock wheels).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am going for it as well. In fact I think I will buy two kits so my son and I can do both his Impreza and my Ascent. It will be a nice father/son project and he has wanted this from day one he bought his vehicle. I just have to clandestinely learn his preferred color.

I have read G2 faq and instructions. I figure I will get a small copper wire brush. What width masking tape works best?

Do you have any pointers that you learned from your process? Did you remove the pads to paint the entire caliber? I am not sure I am up for that at this time. I just want a bit of color (I have not decided what color for the Ascent) and rust protection.

I have the 2019 Blue Ascent and my son has a 2018 Subaru Impreza Blue (stock wheels).
@packout check the thread @pro10is pointed to above for a lot of pointers and lessons. I just looked and have no idea why there are question marks at the end of some of my sentences. weird...

Anyway, I put a wire wheel on a cordless drill and went at it with that and brake cleaner. imho if you’re going to do it then it’s worth removing the whole caliper, pads and all. If you’re careful to make sure not to paint working surfaces you might not even need masking tape. I still recommend one kit per pair of calipers so you don't have to skimp on coats.
Blue calipers I think would look great on the blue Ascent. Send pictures our way when complete and be sure to add anything you learned for future use please!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The process was pretty straightforward. I did end up taking the calipers off and painting them and the bracket that holds them. The biggest trick was getting the spring clip that keeps the pads in place off and when I reinstalled the spring, it scratched some of the paint off. I’ll touch them up when I do my rears. In my case, I feel like one kit should suffice for all four corners. I ended up not masking anything and for the most part stayed within the lines.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The process was pretty straightforward. I did end up taking the calipers off and painting them and the bracket that holds them. The biggest trick was getting the spring clip that keeps the pads in place off and when I reinstalled the spring, it scratched some of the paint off. I’ll touch them up when I do my rears. In my case, I feel like one kit should suffice for all four corners. I ended up not masking anything and for the most part stayed within the lines.
View attachment 3995 View attachment 3996 View attachment 3997
how long did you wait between coats?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I took about 30-45 minutes between coats. It was pretty humid out when I did it and I wanted to make sure that the paint wasn't tacky before I applied the new coat.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I took about 30-45 minutes between coats. It was pretty humid out when I did it and I wanted to make sure that the paint wasn't tacky before I applied the new coat.
I already ordered the swatches for various colors to consider for two vehicles. So far Tire Rack has the best price since I will be ordering two kits (free shipping for order over $50).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I already ordered the swatches for various colors to consider for two vehicles. So far Tire Rack has the best price since I will be ordering two kits (free shipping for order over $50).
@packout did you try the site I posted in the brake caliper thread? Google coupon codes for that site as well for more discount.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
@packout did you try the site I posted in the brake caliper thread? Google coupon codes for that site as well for more discount.
I did link to the site but the price was much higher. I did not explore any coupon codes. tire rack had it for about $44 as best as I recall while the linked site indicated over $60.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
155 Posts
The calipers look great!

I'm sorry if it was noted earlier and I missed it -- is the final answer on the caliper pin sizes 12mm front and 7mm rear? And both are inside hex (Allen)?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The calipers look great!

I'm sorry if it was noted earlier and I missed it -- is the final answer on the caliper pin sizes 12mm front and 7mm rear? And both are inside hex (Allen)?
They’re definitely Allen. I don’t have fancy labeled Allen keys though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I just looked at the G3Motorsports site and was shocked that the price went way up! I guess everyone is taking this down time to bake bread, get a new pet, and to paint their calipers...
I cannot confirm the rears, but the front I think are 11 mm if my memory serves me correct. Running out to my garage, it looks like the rears are 7mm because I have an Allen set that conveniently does not come with that size and the 11mm hex socket appears to have the most wear.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts