Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
As the title states-Ugh! When the quarantine started I ordered the G2 caliper paint kit because I figured that I would finally have some time to paint my Ascent's brakes. So today, I finally get around to starting this project. What I thought would be a quick hour or two job has become an exercise in futility. Imagine my surprise when I find that the slider bolts are for a hex (Allen) socket, and not in a size that I have on hand. Well, a quick trip to the Hazard Fraught followed by a trip to Lowes and a trip to the Home Depot made me realize that an 11mm hex socket is about as common as Tasmanian tiger. I found many kits that have down to a size 12 and others that go up to a size 11 and no one has a single socket in the right size. I finally end up shelling out $30 for a Husky set that has a bunch that I'll probably never use. Well, I get finished taking off the front calipers and cleaning them real well, and decide to move on to the back. Mother Trucker! The slider bolts are a different size, and one that is not included in any of the Allen sets that I have on hand. It looks like I am headed back into the wild again tomorrow. Does anyone know what size I need? I think 7mm. While we are on the subject, does anyone know the torque specs for the slider bolts?

PS - Can we talk about the clips for the front pads? What the hell is the secret for getting those suckers off easily?

Rant over - Thanks for listening.
Mike
2020 Ascent Limited Magnetite Grey Metallic

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hi everyone,
As the title states-Ugh! When the quarantine started I ordered the G2 caliper paint kit because I figured that I would finally have some time to paint my Ascent's brakes. So today, I finally get around to starting this project. What I thought would be a quick hour or two job has become an exercise in futility. Imagine my surprise when I find that the slider bolts are for a hex (Allen) socket, and not in a size that I have on hand. Well, a quick trip to the Hazard Fraught followed by a trip to Lowes and a trip to the Home Depot made me realize that an 11mm hex socket is about as common as Tasmanian tiger. I found many kits that have down to a size 12 and others that go up to a size 11 and no one has a single socket in the right size. I finally end up shelling out $30 for a Husky set that has a bunch that I'll probably never use. Well, I get finished taking off the front calipers and cleaning them real well, and decide to move on to the back. Mother Trucker! The slider bolts are a different size, and one that is not included in any of the Allen sets that I have on hand. It looks like I am headed back into the wild again tomorrow. Does anyone know what size I need? I think 7mm. While we are on the subject, does anyone know the torque specs for the slider bolts?

PS - Can we talk about the clips for the front pads? What the hell is the secret for getting those suckers off easily?

Mike
you needed to go to an auto parts store for these sockets since they are geared to stocking the sizes typically found in autos as compared to general construction. I am however interested in how the painting turns out. Hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
Spark plugs require a certain length thin walled socket too.

But as you move to other car parts, you'll be happy to know that the sizes are generally standard, with a hefty use of 10mm (hence all the Subaru and missing 10mm socket memes roaming the internet).

Good luck!!! I'd love to see the finished work. As it is, @xydadx3, who runs the same rims as me, did his. Our rims make the calipers very visible, especially when moving. I really think I need to coat or paint mine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Def worth getting the right tool, but in a pinch you can sometimes use appropriately sized bolts and nuts to make an adapter to use on allen bolts. Screw them together real tight, maybe with some red loctite or JB Weld, stick the bolt head in the allen and use a wrench/socket on the nut.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
As with any paint job, never short cut the prep. If the dealers had this as an option during a routine break service at a reasonable price, I would jump at it.

I know they are not really set up with a paint booth but it would not be difficult to cordon off a very small area. Easily could be marketed for specials during the holidays and fathers/mothers day. Even birthday discounts with proof of birthday (just the marketing gimmick). The key imo is setting a great price point that would endear the customers and keep them coming back to your service department for everything else.

What do you think would be the right price?

Any dealers listening?

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
As with any paint job, never short cut the prep. If the dealers had this as an option during a routine break service at a reasonable price, I would jump at it.

I know they are not really set up with a paint booth but it would not be difficult to cordon off a very small area. Easily could be marketed for specials during the holidays and fathers/mothers day. Even birthday discounts with proof of birthday (just the marketing gimmick). The key imo is setting a great price point that would endear the customers and keep them coming back to your service department for everything else.

What do you think would be the right price?

Any dealers listening?
Actually, I suggest that people check with their dealers. Some do have body shops and paint booths. Probably not many though. But it can't hurt to check.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi everyone,

Mike
I'm a tool hound, I buy tools all the time, from tiny sets of precision screwdrivers to a 20-ton hydraulic press. I even own a Harbor Freight Backhoe. Without exaggeration, I have an entire workshop full to the bursting point with every tool you would ever think was necessary, collected over a lifetime. I have tools many professional mechanics don't have. I have tools that I sometimes find that I didn't even know I had. I have some specialty tools that I forget what they're used for. However, I'm always astonished that when I go to work on something new, I find that I need a tool that I don't yet own. It's simply unavoidable. So don't be too hard on yourself or the situation, it's par for the course.

Concerning the front pad clips, simply pry them off at one end and they'll pop right off.

One hint, use only half the contents of G2 kit at first. Half the paint and half the hardener. If you mix it all at once, it will harden on you before you have a chance to do a second coat and you'll need to buy another kit.

More tips here: Brake Calipers like they should have Been!

It's a bit of a pain painting the calipers but you'll love the results, and a few years from now they won't be the rusty eyesores most unpainted calipers become. Mine came out great and I get a lot of compliments.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Actually, I suggest that people check with their dealers. Some do have body shops and paint booths. Probably not many though. But it can't hurt to check.
good idea. I will explore this locally.

I have found that not many dealers get creative with their marketing to sustain existing customers and bring in new ones. They mostly just sit there and send off marketing about the vehicles they have in inventory and on occasion the pricing specials. I believe that a dealer in an area can really breakthrough with market share if they got out of their stodgy mold.

I can think of dozens of ways to keep them in the customers eyes in more interesting ways than current practice, particularly with a brand like Subaru.

Okay, how about having your calibers painted so that you can tell which is your vehicle in the supermarket parking lot (or trail head parking area). They can have a picture of muddy Subaru's parked with only one standing out with painted calibers. My gosh, have some fun with it just like the barkleys.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
Okay, how about having your calibers painted so that you can tell which is your vehicle in the supermarket parking lot (or trail head parking area). They can have a picture of muddy Subaru's parked with only one standing out with painted calibers. My gosh, have some fun with it just like the barkleys.
LMAO, I suspect that the bunch of "Subaru Ambassador" stickers, caked on mud, roof rack and the beefy all terrain hanging off the back make my Ascent unmistakably recognizable anywhere. 😂

Other than getting portable neon flashing arrows to set up every time I park, I really can't think of what else I could do to make my vehicle be easily recognizable.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My dealer is always way too busy servicing Subarus to do anything on the side. It usually takes nearly a month just to schedule a service visit.

However, there are others who will do the job. Some even offer powder coating which is better than paint. But expect to pay a hefty price. My guess is that you're looking at around $400 as opposed to $50 for the G2 caliper painting kit.

Almost anyone can do this, you don't even really need to remove the calipers. You can paint them mounted although it'll be a bit tougher to reach all the areas and won't come out as perfect, but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
LMAO, I suspect that the bunch of "Subaru Ambassador" stickers, caked on mud, roof rack and the beefy all terrain hanging off the back make my Ascent unmistakably recognizable anywhere. 😂

View attachment 3968

Other than getting portable neon flashing arrows to set up every time I park, I really can't think of what else I could do to make my vehicle be easily recognizable.
of course. Marketing is only part reality (reality is meant to be stretched a bit). Dogs don't drive. In Colorado Subarus are numerous so having fun with the marketing approach to in part acknowledge this fact while providing for uniqueness is the key.

BTW, I like your roof rack. I am hoping for one like that maybe at the end of summer, ready for my fall adventures in and near the slot canyons.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
BTW, I like your roof rack. I am hoping for one like that maybe at the end of summer, ready for my fall adventures in and near the slot canyons.
My new job won't give me vacation time until November, but Utah and Arizona are on my likely lists of vacation spots.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My new job won't give me vacation time until November, but Utah and Arizona are on my likely lists of vacation spots.
SW Utah canyon areas (if that is one of your things) has a large range of back country territory in the national parks. I typically head out there a week prior to labor day. Very remote areas are accessible with the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
SW Utah canyon areas (if that is one of your things) has a large range of back country territory in the national parks. I typically head out there a week prior to labor day. Very remote areas are accessible with the Ascent.
Yep, beautiful places. There were a few on our list to visit last time, but we ran out of time. But, we spent a bunch of time in Moab, SLC and Page Arizona.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yep, beautiful places. There were a few on our list to visit last time, but we ran out of time. But, we spent a bunch of time in Moab, SLC and Page Arizona.
slot canyons
I would typically drive to a remote spot to set up the campsite for a few days and use that as my base for day long or an overnight hike. These slots are truly another world view. Just be well prepared as flash floods from a great distance away can make for a horrible experience. There also can be standing pool water in what otherwise is a dry environment.

·
Super Moderator
6,823 Posts
slot canyons
I would typically drive to a remote spot to set up the campsite for a few days and use that as my base for day long or an overnight hike. These slots are truly another world view. Just be well prepared as flash floods from a great distance away can make for a horrible experience. There also can be standing pool water in what otherwise is a dry environment.
Pretty sure that's one of the pages we used to plan our stops. We did make Antelope Canyon.

This is one of my photos...

Next time, I'm doing self exploration, like we did everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I am remiss at noting how wonderful Colorado is to visit any time of year.

The visiting opportunities reminds me of when I was abroad in NZ talking with German tourists (seemingly always vacationing) asking me where should they go in the USA for one week vacation? Where do I begin. City, mountains, culture, nature, old, new, farm, ranch, hot, cold, lake, river, ocean, sports, remote, small town, drive, hike, bike, hanging in one location or touch and go. Everyone has their own preferences and style of travel and the US has something to offer for all of them.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Pretty sure that's one of the pages we used to plan our stops. We did make Antelope Canyon.

This is one of my photos...
View attachment 3970

Next time, I'm doing self exploration, like we did everywhere else.
I have spent time in that canyon. I recall on some of my trips the canyon walls were very wide apart and others I had to remove my pack and slip through sideways. Sometimes I had to attach my pack to my front and stem the walls to cross water.

Life is too short. I purchased the Ascent to assist my family in getting out there more often. Fortunately the areas I tend to visit will not have distancing concerns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The results are great! I still have to do the rear brakes because I could not remove the calipers. There are a couple of spots that I missed, but when the wheels are on, you can't tell. When I do the rears, I will touch up the fronts. I also took this opportunity to dip my rear emblems in gunmetal grey.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The results are great! I still have to do the rear brakes because I could not remove the calipers. There are a couple of spots that I missed, but when the wheels are on, you can't tell. When I do the rears, I will touch up the fronts. I also took this opportunity to dip my rear emblems in gunmetal grey.
photos and process description when you get a chance please.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts