Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put black 20 inch rims on our new Ascent. Has anyone done this and if so what sizes and widths work without rubbing? I can't seem to find any that are exactly stock size

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,989 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only 20in in there. Was hoping for some additional verification.

Front and Rear
Size:20x8.5
Offset:42mm
Backspacing:6.417"
Bolt Pattern:5-114
Rec. Tire Size:245/50-20
Weight:31.0 lbs.
Finish:Machined w/Black Accent
Construction:1pc. Low Pressure Cast

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps I’m over simplifying (and I haven’t looked at 20” aftermarket wheels as I plan to go either 18” or 17”) but as the stock size is 20” as long as the width is 7”-8” and it has the proper bolt pattern I would assume it would work. You can likely go to any wheel website and plug in the Ascent and look for matches. Unless I’m missing part of the question?
Now as far as tire size - if you search the forum I have seen users go up a size to 255 or 265 with minimal to no rubbing. If you stick to stick tire size also then nothing to worry about! ?

keep us posted on what you end up going with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I haven't been able to find any under 8.5" width. Might end up powder coating the stock rims black.

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking to put black 20 inch rims on our new Ascent
So am I. My wife and I just ordered a 2021 Premium. I haven't finalized the set up, but I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on the following:
265/50R20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
20x8.5 5-114.3 +38 KM694 Wishbone

The dealer we're working with had this set up on a 2020 Ascent off the lot. We test drove that and thought it was great. The dealer said there was a small bit of the wheel well they had to hammer out to achieve full turning capacity w/o any rubbing. Seems simple enough. I'm not sure, if at all, how this affects warranty stuff. The fact the dealer was selling it makes me think it should be fine. They mentioned they were unable to reorder the wishbone rim, and that they've been discontinued. I'm hoping to track them down...

For winter, we'll keep the stock 18 rims, likely powder coat them black, and put on OEM sized snow tires. If I can get enough cash for the factory Falken tires and OEM rims, I'll likely get the KMC Bullys (18in) for the snow tires. Our "off roading" is almost entirely snow during the winter.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,989 Posts
mfrk, if you're going to run those 265/50R20 tires, you also need to change your spare to one of the same diameter to avoid drivetrain diameter. (~30.6") Up-sizing comes with things like that. Your speedo/odo will also not be accurate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mfrk, if you're going to run those 265/50R20 tires, you also need to change your spare to one of the same diameter to avoid drivetrain diameter. (~30.6") Up-sizing comes with things like that. Your speedo/odo will also not be accurate.
You're right. I have that (expensive) 175/90 R18 tire mentioned elsewhere lined up. Planning to go to the dealer and measure the spare zone to see if it will fit. We're talking 0.8in. I haven't found in the forum an exact diameter for the spare compartment underneath.
As for speedometer, I'm willing to live with about 1mph of accuracy discrepancy.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
6 Posts
You're right. I have that (expensive) 175/90 R18 tire mentioned elsewhere lined up. Planning to go to the dealer and measure the spare zone to see if it will fit. We're talking 0.8in. I haven't found in the forum an exact diameter for the spare compartment underneath.
As for speedometer, I'm willing to live with about 1mph of accuracy discrepancy.
Hey mfrk! I received your PM but apparently this site is flagging my reply as spam because I don't have enough posts..... SMH???

From a Mod: "There is an anti spam plugin on the site that will look for patterns of posting that spammers use. It's possible that your account triggered this with a false positive. This typically only triggers accounts with zero or 1 post only." So who know's what's going on.

Anyways.... to answer your question, lol:

Setup is great for me. I drove it off the lot with these so it's all I really know and can't compare it to stock (handling, mpg, etc..). I have the Primitive springs as well, so no issues with any rubbing.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts