Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First post here!

I have a 2020 Ascent, and whenever I roll down the windows and roll them back up again, the windows are soaked, as if the entire door cavity was filled with water. Sorry but I don't have a photo of the issue to post.

I've owned 4 other cars prior to my Ascent (none of them Subarus), and this is the first time I've ever encountered this. Is this a bug, or a feature? Maybe this is by design so the windows are cleaned whenever they are lowered?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Hello. First post here!

I have a 2020 Ascent, and whenever I roll down the windows and roll them back up again, the windows are soaked, as if the entire door cavity was filled with water. Sorry but I don't have a photo of the issue to post.

I've owned 4 other cars prior to my Ascent (none of them Subarus), and this is the first time I've ever encountered this. Is this a bug, or a feature? Maybe this is by design so the windows are cleaned whenever they are lowered?

Thanks in advance!
Definitely not a design feature to actively keep them wet.
Can you hear any water inside the door when opening and closing it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2020 Touring also has this issue. Although it's only right after it rains or washing the car. I think the outdoor window seal gets soaked and doesn't dry so fast and once you open the window and then close it, it gets wet. I don't think it's because the water is not draining from inside the door. It could be annoying. Other cars I've owned has this issue but not as much as the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
There should be no retained water in the doors. There is likely a plugged or disconnected drain. See dealer service to get this fixed.

Reactions: packout

·
Administrator
873 Posts
All of my Subaru's did/do this... And It is what @Zeke NY said...

2000 RS
2001 RS
2013 Forester XT
2016 Impreza...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2020 Touring also has this issue. Although it's only right after it rains or washing the car. I think the outdoor window seal gets soaked and doesn't dry so fast and once you open the window and then close it, it gets wet. I don't think it's because the water is not draining from inside the door. It could be annoying. Other cars I've owned has this issue but not as much as the Ascent.
Happy I'm not the only one! I worry about it because I don't like the idea of retained water anywhere, be it in a car or in a house. Hopefully long-term this won't create issues with rust, corrosion, mold, etc. inside the door.

I think for now I'll remember to open/close the windows regularly...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would definitely have it checked out if this happens on a stretch of days where it hasn't rained or been washed, but other than that I think it's normal, especially if you don't hear water gushing around in the door when you drive the car. I had this happen on my Honda Odyssey, because the window felt dried up and cracked and no longer kept out debris, causing the drain to get clogged at the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
I also believe it's just a seal that stays wet. The poor panel is not water tight to the interior, and I don't think it's possible for it to "hold water", at least not as described. It would soak electrical parts like switchgear and speakers, and would corrode things in short order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. First post here!

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I actually don't own an Ascent so forgive me for posting here, but I saw this and wanted to offer a warning. I am a first time Subaru Forester owner (I've owned 5 other makes prior to buying this one). I purchased the vehicle brand new the end of 2019 (2020 model). I'm having these same issues with all four of my doors. Several days after it rains if I put the windows down and back up, the inside of the windows are wet, even though its been sunny and dry. Wet to the point that I have to wipe them off if I don't want to deal with spotty streaked windows.

I also have the added bonus of a terribly obnoxious smell coming from all four doors via the window weather-stripping. I fully believe that the interior of the doors have mold. I was smelling it for months before I could place where it was coming from. If I could smell it just sitting in the car driving with the windows down, I think there's probably a good amount of mold inside the doors.

I contacted the dealership and took it in to get looked at. The vehicle is still under warranty and has less than 10,000 miles on it. Its immaculate inside and out. Long story short they kept the vehicle for over a week and decided not to do anything. They "compared it to a like model" and it too had the "same unpleasant smell" so they deemed it as "working at company standards" and therefore "will make no repairs". I went all the way to Subaru corporate to get this lovely answer.

So I go to pick up the car and get a quote to sell it back to them. They insult me with a quote of $4K lower than the KBB value after deeming there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I'm told they don't use KBB nor Edmunds. So I take my pitiful quote and smelly car and go on my way. On the short 5.3 mile drive home the smell is now bad enough with the windows up and using only the AC that it makes me sick for the rest of the day. It gave me a nasty headache, my sinuses are throbbing and swollen, and my throat is scratchy and its now been 6 hours since I was in the vehicle to bring it home.

The dealership told me that they had another woman with similar issues and she paid to have her run channels replaced. They said it was her fault for parking under a tree. I thought Subarus were designed for nature loving off roaders and I didn't realize they weren't supposed to be parked under trees. I feel like they should put this in the brochure fine print; Can be foiled by a maple tree.

In my personal opinion, based on my own experience, doing several days of reading personal experiences similar to my own, talking to other Subaru owners I know who have had their own experiences, and speaking to multiple individuals at Subaru, I feel Subaru Corp is fully aware of multiple design flaws within several models spanning an extensive number of years and admitting something as big as their vehicles could potentially cause severe health concerns would be a hit they may not come back from. I even went so far as to mention this to the horribly rude senior customer advocate at Subaru after she told me nothing would be done and kept reading the same canned script over and over and she neither denied it nor did she want to discuss it.

I would recommend speaking to your dealership and I hope that you have a better experience than I did.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Hello,

I actually don't own an Ascent so forgive me for posting here, but I saw this and wanted to offer a warning. I am a first time Subaru Forester owner (I've owned 5 other makes prior to buying this one). I purchased the vehicle brand new the end of 2019 (2020 model). I'm having these same issues with all four of my doors. Several days after it rains if I put the windows down and back up, the inside of the windows are wet, even though its been sunny and dry. Wet to the point that I have to wipe them off if I don't want to deal with spotty streaked windows.

I also have the added bonus of a terribly obnoxious smell coming from all four doors via the window weather-stripping. I fully believe that the interior of the doors have mold. I was smelling it for months before I could place where it was coming from. If I could smell it just sitting in the car driving with the windows down, I think there's probably a good amount of mold inside the doors.

I contacted the dealership and took it in to get looked at. The vehicle is still under warranty and has less than 10,000 miles on it. Its immaculate inside and out. Long story short they kept the vehicle for over a week and decided not to do anything. They "compared it to a like model" and it too had the "same unpleasant smell" so they deemed it as "working at company standards" and therefore "will make no repairs". I went all the way to Subaru corporate to get this lovely answer.

So I go to pick up the car and get a quote to sell it back to them. They insult me with a quote of $4K lower than the KBB value after deeming there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I'm told they don't use KBB nor Edmunds. So I take my pitiful quote and smelly car and go on my way. On the short 5.3 mile drive home the smell is now bad enough with the windows up and using only the AC that it makes me sick for the rest of the day. It gave me a nasty headache, my sinuses are throbbing and swollen, and my throat is scratchy and its now been 6 hours since I was in the vehicle to bring it home.

The dealership told me that they had another woman with similar issues and she paid to have her run channels replaced. They said it was her fault for parking under a tree. I thought Subarus were designed for nature loving off roaders and I didn't realize they weren't supposed to be parked under trees. I feel like they should put this in the brochure fine print; Can be foiled by a maple tree.

In my personal opinion, based on my own experience, doing several days of reading personal experiences similar to my own, talking to other Subaru owners I know who have had their own experiences, and speaking to multiple individuals at Subaru, I feel Subaru Corp is fully aware of multiple design flaws within several models spanning an extensive number of years and admitting something as big as their vehicles could potentially cause severe health concerns would be a hit they may not come back from. I even went so far as to mention this to the horribly rude senior customer advocate at Subaru after she told me nothing would be done and kept reading the same canned script over and over and she neither denied it nor did she want to discuss it.

I would recommend speaking to your dealership and I hope that you have a better experience than I did.

Best of luck to you.
run a camera scope in the door cavity and or have them remove the interior panel after a rain to determine whether their is mold or water accumulating. It is not clear what the dealer did other than compare a smell with other Foresters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts