Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
As others said, don't let your car run dangerously low on fuel. That will affect other components of your vehicle besides leaving you stranded, i.e. overheating of fuel pump, fuel injector debris, catalytic converter issues.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Lots of good advice, Larry. Appreciate it. And interesting thought re: pumping the gas to "full". Unfortunately I live in Oregon, which has a goofy rule against pumping your own gas. So it's always the gas attendant pumping the gas for me, so that adds one more variable to the mix.
Oregon and NJ. Amazing.
pumping fuel states
Comedy club material there.

:LOL:

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
381 Posts
Oregon and NJ. Amazing.
pumping fuel states

It's nice to keep your hand clean, and convenient when the weather isn't pleasant, but it's also an annoyance when you have to wait for an attendant. I've been known to DIY when there's not enough help at a station, there's no gas narc that's going to pop out of a bush and bust you. It's also one of those things you forget about when you leave the state.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
It's nice to keep your hand clean, and convenient when the weather isn't pleasant, but it's also an annoyance when you have to wait for an attendant. I've been known to DIY when there's not enough help at a station, there's no gas narc that's going to pop out of a bush and bust you. It's also one of those things you forget about when you leave the state.
As a kid I used to make good money as a gas jockey, when full service was the norm. 50 years ago. Pump. Check oil. Clean windows, check tire pressure.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,834 Posts
Oregon and NJ. Amazing.
pumping fuel states

And in NJ...Costco cannot limit gas sales to members like elsewhere, either...so anyone can take advantage of the price advantage and have it pumped for them, too. :)

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
My NJ no-self-service goes like this. I was in a hurry to return my rental car to Newark airport. My company required off- airport refills and they wouldn't reimburse for rental company refills. It was after dark when I pulled up to the pump at a very run down station. I got out to start pumping and a dude came running toward me screaming accompanied by a snarling rottweiler. I jumped back in the car and drove straight to the rental return. I had no clue he was the pump jockey telling me I couldn't self- serve.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah, often when I stop for gas in Washington or California I end up sitting there like an idiot for a few minutes waiting for the gas attendant before I remember "Oh yeah, it's self serve here" :oops:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts