Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited 7 Passenger
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very strange situation. My wife and I bought our very first Subaru vehicle a couple months ago, March 2020, our brand new Ascent Limited 7 passenger. I have an Android phone and my wife has an iPhone. Four or five times since buying the vehicle, when I have my Android connected via Bluetooth I have received a ghost text that says it's from my dad. My dad is very much alive and the text always says the same thing - Something about "Hello, I finally got my car back, 2150.00 later but it's running fine" if I remember correctly. HOWEVER, my dad has never sent this text to me, it does not show up in my texts on my phone or in the text history shown on the car audio via the Phone settings, or anywhere else. Once I play the message it is gone forever until it plays over the car audio again. I have actually taken a picture of the message prompt that comes up on the screen showing I have a new text message from my dad, the text "View" option where I can read the message on the screen, and a video of the playback of the Ascent reading the text to me. But then it disappears again. Again, my dad has never sent this text message to me and it's the strangest thing.

Any idea why it's doing this and/or how to make it stop? It's weird! I've tried deleting my phone from the Ascent and readding it completely, but then the mystery text came up again today. And again, it's nowhere in my phone or text history on the vehicle, but it certainly did appear and play over the audio speakers. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I wonder if you are getting this as a spam message over and over and your phone recognizes it as spam and kills it but the car catches it in that split second.

For me my weirdest phone pop up on the screen is when I got a call from my mom shortly after she passed away. That was easier to solve basically my dad did not know which phone was his. I must admit it darn near gave me a heart attack.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,174 Posts
Spam is probably the most likely scenario. I connect with Android Auto and have never had this happen on ours. You should be able to see these text messages on your billing statement with your cell phone provider. Most provide an "account activity" view that allows you to see all inbound and outbound traffic, regardless of whether it was flagged as spam or garbage by your phone. That account activity would confirm (or not) that your phone actually did receive those...and it might also provide the source phone number used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts