Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the exact weights of the OEM wheels? I'm interested in the weight of the 18" on the Premium and the 20" on the Limited/Touring. If you also have the weight for the 18" on the Base as well that'd be helpful too.

If this has already been posted somewhere I apologize, I looked around but didn't find it.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I am not de-rimming my 20's, but I can get you the combined weight of rim and tire (and installed TPMS). Been meaning to do that for a while. I don't have access to the 18's to get that for you, but perhaps someone else can chip in and weigh theirs.

If I forget by this weekend, please nag me until I do it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got my stock 18 wheels out in the garage in boxes. I'll try and take one out and weigh it tonight. Busy busy getting ready for a track weekend.

Like Robert says, if I don't post, send me a PM and I'll try and get to it before I go out of town on Tuesday!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not de-rimming my 20's, but I can get you the combined weight of rim and tire (and installed TPMS). Been meaning to do that for a while. I don't have access to the 18's to get that for you, but perhaps someone else can chip in and weigh theirs.

If I forget by this weekend, please nag me until I do it.
That'll work too, the stock 245/50-R20 Falken tires show to weigh 33 lbs so I should be able to get a good idea from your weight of the entire package.

Thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just weighed the 18" OEM wheel and it was exactly 28lbs according to my scale.

Reactions: Uber Schnoz

·
Registered
920 Posts
MPG, handling, braking, they are all affected by the "unsprung weight" which is they weight of your wheels and tires that aren't carried by the car's suspension system.

My new wheels are 22 lbs instead of 28.... that's a big difference! Another set I was looking at was 44lbs!

Often moving from 18" to 20" will decrease mpg just because of the increase in wheel weight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you!

MPG, handling, braking, they are all affected by the "unsprung weight" which is they weight of your wheels and tires that aren't carried by the car's suspension system.

My new wheels are 22 lbs instead of 28.... that's a big difference! Another set I was looking at was 44lbs!

Often moving from 18" to 20" will decrease mpg just because of the increase in wheel weight.
Thank you...all helpful info!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the reasoning behind knowing the OEM wheel weight? Is it for MPG purposes? Just curious? Thanks!
Exactly what Kevin said. We don't have our Ascent yet but plan to put new wheels/tires on shortly after we do, so I'm already shopping around online. Trying to keep the entire wheel/tire weight no more than the stock setup, and if I can shave some weight off while still keeping the load rating where it needs to be that's a bonus. Like he said, for gas mileage, handling, acceleration, and braking....plus it can help prevent premature wear on some of the suspension and steering components that can be caused by a heavier setup.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This is really good information as I was thinking of getting a second set of wheels or replacing the 20" wheels outright since I need more tire to help with the pot holes and deeper tread on the tires for when I'm in dirt and snow. I didn't want to get a wheel and tire combo that weighted more than the stock as I would rather get similar MPG than worse.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are other things to factor in as well.

You also have to think about rotational inertia, where that weight is on the wheel, because the mass being more centered towards the hub will be easier for the motor to turn than weight out by the tires.
You also have rolling resistance from tire tread that can vary.
Generally, total mass will be a good estimate since wheels are shaped pretty similar. The big difference between the 18in and 20in rims is the metal on the 20in rims will sit about 1 inch further away (and be more of it) from the hub than the 18in rims. You'll have more rubber on the 18in rims but rubber and air is less dense than metal.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
There are other things to factor in as well.

You also have to think about rotational inertia, where that weight is on the wheel, because the mass being more centered towards the hub will be easier for the motor to turn than weight out by the tires.
You also have rolling resistance from tire tread that can vary.
Generally, total mass will be a good estimate since wheels are shaped pretty similar. The big difference between the 18in and 20in rims is the metal on the 20in rims will sit about 1 inch further away (and be more of it) from the hub than the 18in rims. You'll have more rubber on the 18in rims but rubber and air is less dense than metal.
Yes, distance from center makes a big difference as well. Think of the skater with her arms out, then when she pulls her arms in... much faster!

Reactions: woodcan

·
Registered
38 Posts
...so did anyone ever figure out the weight of the OEM 20? Or least the weight of the entire wheel and tire combination?

·
Registered
126 Posts
The OEM 20" wheel+tire combo is 63 lbs each (with only about 900 km so basically no wear). I actually weighed them before mounting when I switched back from winter tires/wheels last month.

PS. Just took a look at the Falken ZIEX ZE001 A/S 245/50R20 (OEM) tire on Tirerack and the specs say 30 lb. So the wheel alone is 33 lb, assuming Tirerack is correct. Air weight is negligible by the way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The OEM 20" wheel+tire combo is 63 lbs each (with only about 900 km so basically no wear). I actually weighed them before mounting when I switched back from winter tires/wheels last month.

PS. Just took a look at the Falken ZIEX ZE001 A/S 245/50R20 (OEM) tire on Tirerack and the specs say 30 lb. So the wheel alone is 33 lb, assuming Tirerack is correct. Air weight is negligible by the way.
...awesome, thanks for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.