Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Weathertech cargo liner poor fit

14K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Froglips 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I have had weathertech cargo liners before. Nice fit.
i ordered one for the rear with 3rd row flat. I dont like the OEM parts- we do muddy, wet, icy things and I want a full cover, no gaps.
the liner arrives: not really fitting. Flap on the edit: right,( not left) rear over stereo component. I am supposed to cut it?? Then the lip is not as high??
i am super disappointed.
anyone else have suggestions or comments on this? Trying to decide if i will send it back :-(
But if there are no alternatives ...

#4 ·
Slightly overlapping the subwoofer isn't going to affect the entertainment system sound because of how low frequencies work. That said, a poor fit is a poor fit and I'd be "not happy" about this, too. I actually thought about getting this product instead of the OEM protectors, but did occasionally find a use for one or both third row seats to come up for a rare passenger, but more often to help contain some smaller piece of cargo.

#5 ·
So, I have had weathertech cargo liners before. Nice fit.
i ordered one for the rear with 3rd row flat. I dont like the OEM parts- we do muddy, wet, icy things and I want a full cover, no gaps.
the liner arrives: not really fitting. Flap on the left over stereo component. I am supposed to cut it?? Then the lip is not as high??
i am super disappointed.
anyone else have suggestions or comments on this? Trying to decide if i will send it back :-(
But if there are no alternatives ...
Apparently this is an issue with most (if not all) of the third party third row floor covers. If you look through the reviews of maxliner, weather tech, and husky, there are a lot of complaints with the second and third row covers

#9 ·
IMHO, weather tech liners, especially the rears are utter garbage.

The fronts do just 'OK' for SoCal weather. It captures 80% of the dirt I bring in. However, a lot of debris is missed and go elsewhere in the cabin.

If I lived anywhere else I would have purchased another brand.

The rear sets are prone to curling. Especially in warm weather environments... Even more so when hot outside and minions step on them.
Plus they slide around and won't stay put.

My next vehicle will not have any weather tech products in it.

*Please note this review is for a `13 Forester XT....

#10 ·
Keep in mind that the OP appears to be talking about the Weathertech cargo liner that is the larger version and covers both the back and the third row. But it does appear that folks have had fit issues with floor liners based on the conversation so far.

#17 ·
Yeah, it’s the upgraded one. Mine is a Touring.
Subaru neglected to make a liner for the third row down, and seat back covers leave a lot of unprotected areas.
we put a lot of mud, dirt, snow and ice in the trunk, third row flat (no option to not have a third row :-/).

I believe I could have found a cut to fit liner for less $$. I am not happy. But I don’t think there is a better option...
:cautious:

#19 ·
The Canvasback liner made for the Ascent is really nice, but probably not great for big spills.

But maybe something like this would let you throw all sorts of wet/dirty items in the back without too much worry. Even if this covers up the 'subwoofer' it should not affect the sound to any appreciable degree. I might pick one of these up but I have a very large thick black blanket that I store under the rear floor that works for my needs.

#20 ·
I might pick one of these up but I have a very large thick black blanket that I store under the rear floor that works for my needs.
We do as well. An inexpensive moving blanket (such as from Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.) works great in the back of an SUV. It won't necessarily contain a large liquid spill, but it's easy to shake out after a bout with muddy boots or a dirty dog...and even able to be laundered if needed.

#26 ·
I have my tools in the back so it really did not matter to me, but if it did, I would be on the phone with the top executive asking for an explanation and a solution. They either want us as customers for custom fit liners or they do not. I strongly suspect the image they posted was purposefully staged so as to not show that side fit problem.

#29 ·
I bought the Weathertech cargo liner after reading this thread and knowing I would have to trim it for the subwoofer. I think this is the only cargo liner made to cover the area with the third row folded down and how I will use my Ascent. I am happy with it after trimming, see the pictures. I think it will flatten out more soon, it comes rolled up in a box. Also I left the oem third row set backs attached and the small cargo tray is still there.

After trimming:
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle Flooring

Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Vehicle Vehicle door

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk

Bottom of mat:
Grille Automotive tire Personal computer Hood Automotive design

Before trimming:
Automotive tire Black Automotive design Tread Motor vehicle

Attachments

#30 ·
That fits really nice! Being able to leave the small rear cargo mat in place is a plus, too, so it's there if you have to temporarily remove the larger one and it probably makes the overall span a little flatter. Good that they designed it so there was still a lip in front of the sub after cutting off the extra.

Reactions: Froglips and pdxltd
#31 ·
I ordered the weathertech liner since I doubt I’ll ever use the third row seat, Subaru should provide a factory delete option, and I’m pleased with the fit in my Onyx model. Also, ordered the optional bumper cover which coils up when not in use and is held in place with velcro. The final add on is a set of the seatback covers. Note: I haul two RAD mini ebikes and with these items I can store bike hauling items in the covers and have protection while hauling the bikes.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

#32 ·
Subaru should provide a factory delete option,
That would likely be more costly to offer than not given the Ascent is marketed as a three row and would also likely require separate safety testing, etc., given it might be perceived as a major change. Leaving it folded down is at least...free. :) I actually bought my Ascent specifically for the additional cargo space provided by the three row format and never intended to use the third row. I actually have a few times as it avoided an extra vehicle for some function or another, but it's certainly been rare. And raising it up does require some, um....cleaning...because a lot of stuff gets down there from hauling. :D The Weathertech liner would have solved that, but it wasn't available when I bought my Ascent and I already invested in the Subaru protection.

#36 ·
OK, since this thread got revived, I will update.
We transport water to our cabin in "leak proof bags" LOL. When they leaked, there appeared to be enough protection and ability to collect enough liquid, from them, as well as messy melting snow from gear and mud etc and the liner contained everything. It works as intended, just lacking in finesse.

Reactions: Jim_in_PA
#37 ·
I know you're supposed to remove the WeatherTech cargo liner when putting up the 3rd row. But could one of you guys please take a photo with the 3rd row up and the cargo liner in place? I'm curious what it looks like or how usable it is like that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#38 ·
I had enough bad luck with weathertech fit (not covering near what it should for containng slop on the front mats) going back to a 2010 LaCrosse, that I gave up on them. For the 10 LaCrosse I came up with cabinet base vinyl where they missed. We don't have any spillage worries...only salt up front. We had the same problems with our 2009 Honda RL front mat fit

I just get the factory OEM winter mats now and leave them in year round. Not perfect, but plenty good enough considering the Weather Techs are far from perfect and much more expensive.

Here's our LaCrosse one month into winter...early December. Before and after the fix I contrived. I did call WT to complain about the lack of coverage by the seat, the dead pedal, and the doorsill....got nowhere...then I askd them to even send some WT material and I would make my own fix...answer....No. I could have sent them back, but it was winter and I needed mats. I came up with this very economical fix and employed it. the doorsill was still an issue, but I got most of the problem. I made my own mats for the rear seat with off the rack mats from Menard's or some place like that....making sure that rubber came up the carpeted areas below the seat and doorsill. I'll add that back then I kinda scoffed at factory winter mats. Not anymore. Plus, we're out of here by 1/2 or 3 every year these days. Maybe they're much improved by now. Never say never, but I'll likely never know.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

#40 ·
I'm very happy with my weather tech floor liners in my 2023 Onyx Limited.

I have the front, second and third row. I didn't get the cargo liner because its too expensive to not be a perfect fit. In the meantime I can place a blanket or something over the carpeted cargo space.

the black hard plastic looks great with the Onyx interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.