Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lived in a city where other people don’t know how to park . How bad will it look if you take off hitch cover and leave it off while using weather tech step bumper . Anyone is using step bumper .?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I thought about doing the same until in another thread they mentioned that leaving the actual hitch on would cause a lot more damage to your vehicle in a crash. The impact wouldn't be absorbed by the part of the bumper meant to take a hit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Step bumper (hitch)

See link for another option for hitch accesory. Small shop offering hitch inserts that offer some cushioning in a crash or backup situation. Called in left message, Jeff returned my call & worked out details. Had my rear protection plate soon after that, about same width as removable cover.

http://superbumper.com

·
Registered
646 Posts
I thought about doing the same until in another thread they mentioned that leaving the actual hitch on would cause a lot more damage to your vehicle in a crash. The impact wouldn't be absorbed by the part of the bumper meant to take a hit.
My point about leaving something in the receiver is that a rear end impact will focus all the energy at the receiver square instead of spread along the entire hitch beam. Will it make enough of a difference in the end? I don't know. I just don't want to add a focal point to the hitch (bumper beam).

Super bumper seems interesting. But since our hitch is effectively the bumper beam you'd still be in the same situation of bending the hitch with a rear end collision. It does look like it could solve parking lot bumps though.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
29 Posts
Weather tech step bumper is made of rubber. https://youtu.be/wdUFHcrwXME
The weather tech is what I looked at first. It can be found for a heavily discounted price for prime members or @ Walmart. After reading reviews about it breaking off due to a parking bump or trying to use it as a step I searched for alternatives & found the superbumper option to be superior. Those have a system of rubber inserts that compress 3" in a hard impact. @zulater has a valid concern, but if you are going to use a hitch insert anyway one that cushions impact is the way to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts