Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else miss the NOAA weather band on the radio? As a sea kayaker and sailor I sure used the weather band on my Outback's radio. I wish it could be re-instated on the Ascent (which has a greater storage capacity for gear!)

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I download something from the web using the car system? I'm not sure how to do that. Or I suppose I can put it on my phone and use Carplay?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only problem is that I want to be able to LISTEN and switch bands for different forecasts, just like I could on my Outback radio...Maybe there's a chip that could be inserted into the CD drive???

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
the only problem is that I want to be able to LISTEN and switch bands for different forecasts, just like I could on my Outback radio...Maybe there's a chip that could be inserted into the CD drive???
i have not used any one of the the NOAA applications but I assume it has that ability. Lokking at playstore I see a NOAA weather radar live and alerts in which you can track real-time conditions for multiple locations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You could download something but having a standalone reciever is better in my opinion. You can can buy one of the cheap little NOAA weather radios. I Think a better choice is to just get one of the $25 Baofeng radio's from Amazon or whatever and program it for all the channels. For your use the battery would last you along time and you could use it for FRS/GMRS radio to if you're in a group of other kayakers. Here's instructions for programming them.
Programming the Baofeng UV-5R for Weather Radio Frequencies - 1776PatriotUSA.com

·
Banned
2021 Ascent Premium
12 Posts
you could use it for FRS/GMRS radio
For the record, the Baofeng (or any other handheld with a detachable antenna) is not FCC type-certified for use as a GMRS/FRS, even if you adjust the power level into spec.

I am agnostic as to whether you do it or not, and may or may not have done it myself, but be aware there is a risk of being "out of compliance" with the feds by doing so.

Go get your ham radio Technician's license and be 100% legal!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I downloaded the NOAA weather phone app. Waste of money. Damn sites won't even load! My backup is my VHF which will work just fine. It was just sweet to have the weather band built into the radio. Too bad Subaru discontinued it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts