Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather cools, anyone else feel their heated steering wheel just isn't very warm? Mine seems to get "not cold," but barely warm. I know there is the un-heated portion between 10-2, so I'm ignoring that. By comparison, my Nissan Leaf heats the entire wheel to a very comfy temp - much warmer than the Ascent. Just want to make sure mine is working properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I’m not lucky enough to have that option but after driving a Chevy that had a heated steering wheel I feel like I would prefer a ‘not cold’ temperature over their ‘warm pee’ temperature. That one was a rental and I couldn’t wait to return it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used it for the first time this weekend and thought it did a fine job. Wouldn't want it too hot for sure. The heated seats though seemed to take a long time to even get semi warm on the highest setting. Even my son was saying he couldn't really feel them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I definitely felt it wasn't working properly. And neither is the heated seats. Very disappointed with this. I am going to dealer tomorrow and am going to mention this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used it for the first time this weekend and thought it did a fine job. Wouldn't want it too hot for sure. The heated seats though seemed to take a long time to even get semi warm on the highest setting. Even my son was saying he couldn't really feel them.

I've been using the heated seats in an Outback with cloth seats. They warm up quickly and are almost TOO hot on HI. They heat up much slower with my Ascent with the leather seats, but they do get quite as warm after at least 5 minutes. Haven't tried the back seats. (Front are ventilated with the tiny holes in the leather. Back are not.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I definitely felt it wasn't working properly. And neither is the heated seats. Very disappointed with this. I am going to dealer tomorrow and am going to mention this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am on the other side of this I guess? Yes, they take a few minutes to get heated the whole way but once they do I find myself not being able to keep them on long because I am getting almost uncomfortably warm. I do, however, have very sensitive skin though, which might be why I seem to be only one so far that is like this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought I read in the Manuel that the heated steering wheel won't come on unless it is actually cold out...but I dont remember an actual temp.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used mine for the first time this week and it felt nice and warm (not hot). I also turned on the heated seats and my passenger asked that I lower the heat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heated steering for some reason only heats between 10 and 2 on the Ascent. Have had heated steering wheels in my last three cars -- two Jeeps and a Toyota. All of them heated the complete wheel. Love the ride and the handling but don't understand the cheapness of not heating the entire steering wheel or the ridiculous omission of seat height adjustment on the most expensive Subaru that is made. My wife is 5' 3" and can barely see over the dash. There could have at least been the manual adjustment that is found in Imprezas, etc. Ventilated seats also pale in comparison to the other cars.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Heated steering for some reason only heats between 10 and 2 on the Ascent.
Because that's where you're supposed to have your hands. (It also heats at 8 and 4, too.) You're not supposed to drive with one hand at 12. Not just because it's easier to lose control in an emergency situation with your hands there, but also because if you ARE involved in an accident and your hand is at 12, when the airbag deploys you're going to punch yourself in the face.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Heated steering for some reason only heats between 10 and 2 on the Ascent. Have had heated steering wheels in my last three cars -- two Jeeps and a Toyota. All of them heated the complete wheel. Love the ride and the handling but don't understand the cheapness of not heating the entire steering wheel or the ridiculous omission of seat height adjustment on the most expensive Subaru that is made. My wife is 5' 3" and can barely see over the dash. There could have at least been the manual adjustment that is found in Imprezas, etc. Ventilated seats also pale in comparison to the other cars.
Actually, my former Toyota didn't heat the top of the wheel either, just like the Ascent. I understand that your hands are not supposed to be at 10 and 2 anymore due to the airbag deployment scenario, but it sure would be nice not to feel the cold portion of the steering wheel slip thru my hands when making a sharp turn. Seriously, why can't the entire wheel be heated instead of leaving the top cold?
The heated seats started to get too hot after a few minutes.
p.s.
The greatest unadvertised feature of the Ascent IMHO is some sort of electric heating element built into the climate control that provides cabin heat when the engine is still ice cold. VERY NICE and a big surprise since it doesn't appear to be published anywhere.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
The Ascent Touring wheel heats from 2-10, and everything in between.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone actually mention the weak temperature to the dealer and get any answer? I just got a 2020 Acent a couple of weeks ago. I used the heated steering wheel a couple times since then. My initial thoughts were that it was not really warm at all. After using it a couple more times, I still have the same opinion. My honda and GMC have full heated steering wheels with a much warmer temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
Mine heats perfectly fine and gets more than warm enough...compatible to my previous vehicle with the exception of the lack of heating at the top which can be, um...surprising...when one has to do a turn that requires shifting the wheel around more than a little. You know...that hot, cold, hot, cold feeling ;)

Reactions: GaryInMI

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Did anyone actually mention the weak temperature to the dealer and get any answer? I just got a 2020 Acent a couple of weeks ago. I used the heated steering wheel a couple times since then. My initial thoughts were that it was not really warm at all. After using it a couple more times, I still have the same opinion. My honda and GMC have full heated steering wheels with a much warmer temperature.
What trim level did you get? My Touring gets quite warm. Not hot, mind you, but quite warm. The top takes quite some time to heat up. As mentioned above, the majority of the heat is in the 2-10 o'clock area, so, if you hold it at noon, you may not feel much warmth for a while.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I would say the steering wheel is not as hot as any of the other cars I've owned, it's more lukewarm, which is still better than cold, so I'll take it. The cold top portion of the wheel can be a little surprising some mornings, especially when the caffeine hasn't yet kicked in, but we're truly talking about first world problems at this point!!

The seats do take about 5 minutes to heat up, but on the high setting, they certainly get warm enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What trim level did you get? My Touring gets quite warm. Not hot, mind you, but quite warm. The top takes quite some time to heat up. As mentioned above, the majority of the heat is in the 2-10 o'clock area, so, if you hold it at noon, you may not feel much warmth for a while.
I got a limited. I definitely feel it’s lukewarm compared to my other vehicles. I’m also confused. Does the touring heat the entire steering wheel?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I got a limited. I definitely feel it’s lukewarm compared to my other vehicles. I’m also confused. Does the touring heat the entire steering wheel?
no, it doesn't
It's a different leather on the steering wheel.

But, yes, it gets lukewarm. I suspect that prevents people's hands from getting sweaty. Adjustable would be nice too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts