Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps were in high 30s this morning -- chilly but not freezing. I've noticed that, relative to other cars I've owned/driven, it takes a lot of driving before the temp needle moves much and I get something more than lukewarm heat. And if I really blast it (sometimes I like my windows or sunroof cracked open for fresh air, even in cold), it doesn't fully warm up -- at all. I was on the freeway for 30 minutes today and only when I turned down the heat did it appear to get up to normal running temps. I feel like I stay cold in this car longer than I should.

I know how heat works -- it pulls it from the engine. Just thought it was interesting because my 2013 Impreza blows hot air within a few minutes of driving. I wonder what the Ascent is like in -20. Does it take a fair amount of driving before you get actual hot air in your vents?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Does it take a fair amount of driving before you get actual hot air in your vents?
No, and I don't remember anyone else mentioning this, they usually complain about the heated seats being weak.

I can feel warm air from the vents by the time I get to the end of my driveway. Robert M checked a while back and discovered an electric heating element in the heater that I guess is supposed to help until the engine warms up.

I have good heat by the time I get to the second stop light down the road which is about a mile and a half, maybe 5 minutes of driving.

I wonder if your thermostat is stuck open?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I've wondered that.

I know this is dependent on driving style, temps, terrain, etc but would you say that the needle is all the way at normal running temp right away or within 5 min? Mine always takes 10 minutes, absolute minimum... even if I hop right on the freeway.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wonder if it's sensor related, not mechanical thermostat. Gauges are all read off a computer. See if you can find the temp sensor and check it's connector.
BTW, I have a 2020 late October build and every single mechanics connector is slathered in a whitish milky goop. Battery terminals of course, but recently upgraded my horns and those connections were also gooped up. Checked around and seems all are. Not plug/sockets though. I wonder if this is a result of poor electrical contact from 2019 experiences?
You got an infrared thermogun? Under $30 on Amazon, it remote reads surface temps. Has a visible red laser to see where it's aimed. I test accuracy on a pot of boiling water. I suggest loosening radiator cap, warmup motor, then remove cap and measure coolant temp while still idling. Remember to tighten cap when done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have 2019 ascent premium and my heat kicks in right away but I do agree seat warmers are weak compared to my town and country

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
My temp guage isn't up to the normal range when I'm getting heat, that probably takes at least another 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes total of easy driving.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah. Seats are relatviely slow to heat but do get hot. Cabin heat comes up in a mile or two but it takes 3-5 miles for the engine gauge to indicate normal running temp. This is with outside temp ~30F.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My Ascent is slower to warm up than other cars I've owned, but usually, it's reasonably acceptable. I use the DashCommand app which gives me an accurate coolant temp readout so I can monitor it closely.

However, I was recently driving with the outside temperature at around 0 degrees F and the coolant temperature could not get above 154 degrees F (it's supposed to be around at least 180-190 degrees). This resulted in the interior temperature never getting quite warm enough to be comfortable.

It might be a thermostat problem and I will check that out, but such problems are unlikely on a newer car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My heat issue is that so little goes to windshield or the floor ... fine in the middle vent .. lots of air and heat .. but the defrost on high and high temp is horrible ... and barely can keep the windshield clear ... and nothing goes to the floor ... worst I have ever had in a car .. dealer says is what it is, can change anything. Bad enough thinking of getting some different kind of car ... Rochester has some serious winter weather ... other than this like the car ... but this is very poor design ...

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
My heat issue is that so little goes to windshield or the floor ... fine in the middle vent .. lots of air and heat .. but the defrost on high and high temp is horrible ... and barely can keep the windshield clear ... and nothing goes to the floor ... worst I have ever had in a car .. dealer says is what it is, can change anything. Bad enough thinking of getting some different kind of car ... Rochester has some serious winter weather ... other than this like the car ... but this is very poor design ...
Make sure you clear the wiper landing area, and turn on the rear defroster. That button is actually (a) rear defroster), (b) side mirror defroster and (c) wiper de-icer. But, it won't melt ice or snow. It just helps to prevent accumulation.

Also, in Settings->Vehicle, you will find settings to allow leaving it on forever (or 15 minutes). I turn mine to "forever" for my trips up north.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Alaska and drive a 2019 Ascent. It is a struggle to keep the vehicle warm in the -20°F temps. I recently bought a Bluedriver code scanner and have been monitoring coolant temps while driving. I could only get 180° while climbing a long hill. This was after 30 minutes of driving the vehicle. Most time, in stop and go traffic, the coolant temp was under 155°. I have a piece of cardboard stuffed in front of the radiator also. The dealer tells me that unless the low temp coolant light is on, all is normal. I think its BS.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I live in Alaska and drive a 2019 Ascent. It is a struggle to keep the vehicle warm in the -20°F temps. I recently bought a Bluedriver code scanner and have been monitoring coolant temps while driving. I could only get 180° while climbing a long hill. This was after 30 minutes of driving the vehicle. Most time, in stop and go traffic, the coolant temp was under 155°. I have a piece of cardboard stuffed in front of the radiator also. The dealer tells me that unless the low temp coolant light is on, all is normal. I think its BS.
I"m no mechanic, but what about changing out the thermostat for the season to one that would not always be pushing the coolant through the radiator. I would also change the oil more frequently during this season. Of course use a block heater. The article below mostly is about a racing environment but has useful info. I would ask to talk with the SOA regional tech for their suggestions. Be prepared to show all your data, including enginge and cabin temps at start up and under load ad well as the outside temps during the drive.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I hope when your heat is turned on you have heat on both front and rear even if you are the only occupant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.