Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching virtually every three row crossover, we bought an Ascent Touring. My wife and I loved the car but my wife could not ride or drive the car without getting major back and leg pain. She ordered every contraption that she could find on Amazon to try to find a seating position that was comfortable, to no avail. The fact that the passenger seat is not fully adjustable made matters worse because that is where she sits on longer trips. She has never had this problem with any other car we have owned or the rental car we got while she was trying back braces and pillows.
The dealer was as good as they get, and agreed to take the car back at an obvious discount to what we paid. I understand of course but had not option.
So we wanted to join the club the seats were the deal breaker.
My thanks to forum members who gave us suggestions, all of which we tried.

Good travels

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
After searching virtually every three row crossover, we bought an Ascent Touring. My wife and I loved the car but my wife could not ride or drive the car without getting major back and leg pain. She ordered every contraption that she could find on Amazon to try to find a seating position that was comfortable, to no avail. The fact that the passenger seat is not fully adjustable made matters worse because that is where she sits on longer trips. She has never had this problem with any other car we have owned or the rental car we got while she was trying back braces and pillows.
The dealer was as good as they get, and agreed to take the car back at an obvious discount to what we paid. I understand of course but had not option.

Good travels
What did you choose instead?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acadia Denali, we rented one for my wife to have something to drive while trying to figure out the Subaru problem. The seats in the Acadia did not both her.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Acadia Denali, we rented one for my wife to have something to drive while trying to figure out the Subaru problem. The seats in the Acadia did not both her.
Congratulation! You should come back much later and provide some reviews on both cars.

·
Registered
667 Posts

Good travels
You guys made an earnest attempt - and that's really all that can be asked of anyone.

Sometimes, we just don't "fit"....as they say, "the average person" is anything but average. As unique individuals, there's always going to be outliers, and there's absolutely no way that any of us can judge another's subjective takes - particularly where it comes to something as non-quantifiable as comfort.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure that I would have gone as far as your wife did! She should be commended, at the least very least, for her dedication to the cause!

I do wish you many, many miles of safe and happy travels in your new vehicle. Comfortable miles, at that! :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
The Acadia Denali is a nice car. We considered one at one point. They have great features, they handle nice, and it's got a strong engine. However all the GM unibody SUVs no longer have 'Automatic' four-wheel drive, you have to switch it on. And driving on back roads in the Berkshires sometimes requires instantaneous traction (along with good winter tires).

We also have issues with the seat hardness in the touring model. And the adjustability in the passenger seat is poor for us. We are still considering whether or not we're going to give the Ascent to our son when he gets his license this summer, or trade it.

As with any car purchase, you have to do what works best for you. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We had a 17 Acadia Denali we sold to some friends back in December. The wife wanted a 7 passenger vs the 6 for the Acadia due to our fertile children producing grandchildren at an ever increasing rate. We had the Acadia for a little over 2 years and really enjoyed it. The seats were very comfortable for the few long trips we took in it. I do find the seats to be a little more firm in the Ascent but still find them to be very comfortable. I can see this could be an issue for some. Glad you found what works. We had no issues with the Acadia and you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The Acadia Denali is a nice car. We considered one at one point. They have great features, they handle nice, and it's got a strong engine. However all the GM unibody SUVs no longer have 'Automatic' four-wheel drive, you have to switch it on. And driving on back roads in the Berkshires sometimes requires instantaneous traction (along with good winter tires).

We also have issues with the seat hardness in the touring model. And the adjustability in the passenger seat is poor for us. We are still considering whether or not we're going to give the Ascent to our son when he gets his license this summer, or trade it.

As with any car purchase, you have to do what works best for you. Enjoy your new ride.
How do you like the overall comfort and adjustability of the driver's seat? The Ascent (Limited) is a huge upgrade for me and the extendable thigh support helps with the long road trip. I used to take my wife's 2016 Forester (Limited) on road trips and the short seat was taxing my thighs after couple hrs of driving.

·
Registered
775 Posts
How do you like the overall comfort and adjustability of the driver's seat? The Ascent (Limited) is a huge upgrade for me and the extendable thigh support helps with the long road trip. I used to take my wife's 2016 Forester (Limited) on road trips and the short seat was taxing my thighs after couple hrs of driving.
The thigh adjustment (oddly enough I have this feature on all of my cars, along with cooled or ventilated seats) on the ascent is helpful, otherwise for me personally, I would feel like I was sliding forward in the seat. I prefer to have the front of the bottom cushion high and pushing on my thighs, maybe from my car racing days, and the seat settings don't really allow for that on the ascent. But with the thigh adjustment, it provides enough extra support to keep me comfortable. However after about an hour and a half I find the seats very hard and painful on my back (my front passenger has also commented on this). Keep in mind I have the touring and the seats are a little bit harder because of the ventilation feature. I also find like I'm sliding off the passenger seat when I sit in it, because I can't adjust the front of the bottom cushion up enough to hold me in place.

I do find the seats very comfortable for the first hour and a half, which is at least 95% of the driving I do. I also do have some back problems, and I've had Honda's that bother my back as well.

If you're really struggling with seat comfort, I would look at Volvo or Lincoln, of all the cars I've owned, they have had the most comfortable seats. It's okay to look at other brands, if they suit your needs:). On some models, Lincoln has ~30 way adjustable seats and they are incredible. But even their more basic seats are very good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts