Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally had enough Ascents fall through at the same time that we could put the bigger tires and 2" lift on one of them. We now have 3 Ascents on the ground lol!

This one is a limited 7 passenger without the moonroof package.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
What kind of lift did you put on it? Body, spring? Just curious. Looks cool. They should make the next model with an adjustable lift system like LandRover has.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Those look great! What type of tires and rims are you using? What is the purpose of lifting the car?
A couple inches of ground clearance and wheel gap helps with off road capability. However, it also raises the center of gravity. Bigger tires also increase unsprung suspension weight. Both of these adversely affect handling.

CKE SSP 75d sway bar bushing are the perfect compliment for lifted applications. The moderate bump to the bars is a simple offset to the added CG and US weight.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...uspension/1437-sway-bar-bushings-cke-ssp.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
A couple inches of ground clearance and wheel gap helps with off road capability. However, it also raises the center of gravity. Bigger tires also increase unsprung suspension weight. Both of these adversely affect handling.

CKE SSP 75d sway bar bushing are the perfect compliment for lifted applications. The moderate bump to the bars is a simple offset to the added CG and US weight.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...uspension/1437-sway-bar-bushings-cke-ssp.html

Thank you! I'm not going to lift mine anytime soon, just wondering, plus the tires and rims look great!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

It appears that Jason's employer install the same size tire (diameter) or even smaller-looking than stock.

I wonder if 30.0"+ tires (same width as OEM) would fit w/ 2" lift - do you know?

·
Registered
685 Posts
It appears that Jason's employer install the same size tire (diameter) or even smaller-looking than stock.

I wonder if 30.0"+ tires (same width as OEM) would fit w/ 2" lift - do you know?
I know zero about tire fitments for the Ascent. In this particular case, and others tire size may not have been increased. However, AT tires are still going to weigh more than street tires. Then the rim comes into play, some aftermarket rims are lighter than OEM, some are heavier. Keep in mind a lighter rim that is cheap, is of a lower quality than the OEM or more expensive aftermarket rims.

And I am only speaking from my experience with the Outbacks, Foresters and Crosstreks. People tend to lift them and jam the biggest rubber in there they can.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Tread looks similar to a yokohama geolander but I think Bridgestone has a similar tread too?

But as others have asked DEETS MAN!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Which rims and tires?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Very cool.
Would love to see a slightly narrower stance and a bit taller of a tire.

·
Registered
561 Posts

I put on slightly larger tires and heavier rims on an SUV that also pushed out the width an inch or so and it changed the ride and handling completely. Did not like, felt disconnected and not surefooted and ended up going back to stock rims and tires.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I put on slightly larger tires and heavier rims on an SUV that also pushed out the width an inch or so and it changed the ride and handling completely. Did not like, felt disconnected and not surefooted and ended up going back to stock rims and tires.
Many times changing the offest (or stance width) does funny things. Usually with larger lifts (trucks and Jeeps) you need to go wider to ensure off-road stability. In a street car anything under 3" that is not a concern.

I added some offset to the wheels I bought for my 1995 Leggy L. Those wheels made it handle more like a go-kart. That's Ok for that car at that time.

But as you said, many times that extra weight (unsprung suspension weight) Numbs out the road and steering feel. Again, another reason to add performance sway bar bushings. Otherwise, this here happens to stock bushings with lifts and bigger tires.

That is an Outback.

·
Registered
685 Posts
So if it’s sold like that at the dealer is it covered under the factory warranty?
@Carl Abrams I do believe implied their rigs are covered.

But why would you ever to put the same material back in? when it wasn't designed, or necessarily up to the task, or is long term durable?

Which is why most off-road truck and Jeep lifts come with poly bushing for suspension arms and sway bar bushings. Strut and sub-frame lifts are very simple for street cars, but they don't address the added center of gravity and added suspension forces. Which is exactly why I am here commenting.

Sway bar bushing upgrades and CVT mount inserts should be considered as additional derivative when lifting a Subaru. Again, what has been true with the Outback, Forester,and Crosstrek ... I expect to be true her as well. Even more so since the Ascent is even bigger still.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It might bring your sea-sickneess back by going up.

Yes, I'm sure it would impact me. Plus, I'm not doing any heavy off roading, Haha. I'm learning a lot about cars on this forum though!:grin:

How do you think 20" vs 18" ride? I read that the 20" reduce body roll.

·
Registered
965 Posts
@Carl Abrams I do believe implied their rigs are covered.
We are covering those cars we put modifications on if something happens during a warranty period. Note I am NOT saying that Subaru is covering those things. There's been a lot of discussion between Subaru engineers and our dealership team on these specific modifications, and what they will allow us to do and what is and isn't covered - and I'm not totally privy to all that.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We are covering those cars we put modifications on if something happens during a warranty period. Note I am NOT saying that Subaru is covering those things. There's been a lot of discussion between Subaru engineers and our dealership team on these specific modifications, and what they will allow us to do and what is and isn't covered - and I'm not totally privy to all that.
I did NOT mean to imply that Subaru would cover it. There are many truck modifiers out here that do trucks for dealers. Many times these fabricators provide the warranty on products and materials they use. It makes more sense that the dealer would cover a specific part that may have worn or failed due to the modification.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts