Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are approaching our once-in-a-lifetime road trip!
We’ve decided to take 30-45 days and travel from Central Valley California to Key West Florida, going the lower route, visiting the sites along the way. Then on our way back, we will hit the mid section, then up North, and eventually make our way home! Hitting the Alamo, New Orleans, Mississippi River, Walt Disney World, Miami, Key West- Then open road all the way back, and a few National Parks, Arches, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, and a few others.
We will travel with an 11 and 5 year old, our 1 month old, a Standard and Toy Poodle, and a 22ft travel trailer. Who knows what this combo will bring!
We will utilize the long stretches of travel to Live Stream on Instagram and Facebook!
We will let the kids stream as well to allow their perspective.
Follow us on Instagram
@50statesoverland
http://instagr.am/p/CMkrUk4Hst1/

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
171 Posts
You are very brave and very adventurous, given the ages of your kids and the length of your journey. And I am very, very jealous! Sounds like y'all will have a fabulous time and you'll remember it forever! (well, the 1 month old might not remember it very well, but the rest of you sure will) Enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to agree that you are very brave traveling that distance with young children. We are planning a cross country adventure traveling from South Eastern PA to Seattle, WA with many stops along the way but we are only taking our very well behaved "golden shepherd" pup with us. We just picked up the Ascent and waiting to pass 1000 miles before we test towing our 17ft travel trailer. Best wishes and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
We took a long road trip last year with our four kids ages 7 to 10. Seatback organizers helped a LOT for stashing snacks, toys, trash, books, whatever. They really cut back on the clutter that happens when spending so much time in the car.

Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Helteko-Backseat-Car-Organizer-Accessories/dp/B07RNZV64Y
Those are awesome! A brand I really love is Lusso Gear, who makes them in colors very similar to the Ascent Touring Java Brown leather (they also do other colors)

They also make more simple seat back protectors (kick mats) with much less pockets, car organizers, and a nice hanging garbage can - all in multiple colors. They do make waterproof seat covers, but, I prefer the OEM over theirs.

I use this in my Ascent (kick mats, two pack)

And, I used the organizer (in black) in my former Outback. I am probably switching to the organizer (in brown or tan) for my Ascent, just to get a little more storage. Maybe. Or keeping it the way it is to cut down on even more clutter, lol!!! Time will tell. 🤣

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are awesome! A brand I really love is Lusso Gear, who makes them in colors very similar to the Ascent Touring Java Brown leather (they also do other colors)

View attachment 11415 View attachment 11416 View attachment 11417 View attachment 11418

They also make more simple seat back protectors (kick mats) with much less pockets, car organizers, and a nice hanging garbage can - all in multiple colors. They do make waterproof seat covers, but, I prefer the OEM over theirs.

View attachment 11419

And, I used the organizer (in black) in my former Outback. I am probably switching to the organizer (in brown or tan) for my Ascent, just to get a little more storage. Maybe. Or keeping it the way it is to cut down on even more clutter, lol!!! Time will tell. 🤣

WOW! Those are awesome as well! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure. Quite a family you got there; several of my friends have "covid babies", too. We're planning a road trip to our favorite place Pensacola in July w/ 3 kids (.5 to 5yrs old)

·
Super Moderator
2,106 Posts
@itsdchz and @Trey T congrats on your new and new-ish additions. I have a 7 month old and I think y’all are crazy wanting to do a road trip, but also respect the ambition and wish you the best!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congrats and enjoy! We have an almost 4yo and a 5 month old. Many days it's a challenge to find the patience for routine life. You must be saints with a great sense of adventure! I'm sure this will be an awesome trip, I will follow along!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wonder what the "are we there yet?," count will be 🙂.

Hope to take another trip like that someday. Mrs. Garris and I did a half xc trip decades ago in an old Cutlass Supreme wagon. Lots of fun. My kids don't enjoy road trips like we did when we were kids ( we tend to fly most places nowadays).

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little different situation, but my wife and I (retired) drove our 24 ft motorhome towing our Smartcar from Sacramento to Key West and back a few years ago. We took 1-40 all the way from CA to Wilmington, SC, with stops for the Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Great Smokey Mountain NP, Asheville, Charleston, Savanah, Hilton Head, St. Augustine, Kennedy Space Center, Long Key, and Key West. We headed home via I-10 with stops in New Orleans, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Tucson, Phoenix, and Palm Springs before taking I-5 back home. It was a great trip. I kept a journal, so if you any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well we are approaching our once-in-a-lifetime road trip!
We’ve decided to take 30-45 days and travel from Central Valley California to Key West Florida, going the lower route, visiting the sites along the way. Then on our way back, we will hit the mid section, then up North, and eventually make our way home! Hitting the Alamo, New Orleans, Mississippi River, Walt Disney World, Miami, Key West- Then open road all the way back, and a few National Parks, Arches, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, and a few others.
We will travel with an 11 and 5 year old, our 1 month old, a Standard and Toy Poodle, and a 22ft travel trailer. Who knows what this combo will bring!
We will utilize the long stretches of travel to Live Stream on Instagram and Facebook!
We will let the kids stream as well to allow their perspective.
Follow us on Instagram
@50statesoverland
http://instagr.am/p/CMkrUk4Hst1/
Have a great trip! Be sure to take a portable jump starter for the battery and don’t leave the rear hatch open for too long.

·
Administrator
9,637 Posts
Have a great trip! Be sure to take a portable jump starter for the battery and don’t leave the rear hatch open for too long.
I preferred getting the gate controller fixed, and not needing to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 11415 View attachment 11416 View attachment 11417 View attachment 11418

View attachment 11419

Got two organizers in yesterday! Thanks Robert!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have to agree that you are very brave traveling that distance with young children. We are planning a cross country adventure traveling from South Eastern PA to Seattle, WA with many stops along the way but we are only taking our very well behaved "golden shepherd" pup with us. We just picked up the Ascent and waiting to pass 1000 miles before we test towing our 17ft travel trailer. Best wishes and enjoy.
My wife and I made basically the same trip last Nov from Alexandria, VA to Vancouver, WA with our 4 Maine **** cats. Our 2021Touring had 5 miles on it when we left and 2838, 5 days later when we arrived here. Had a hitch basket/cargo box and a Thule X Large Aero box on top. We gave that 4 cyl turbo a workout believe me! It was an awesome trip with no problems except we're still figuring out the tech in the Ascent.We're old though so thats to be expected.😂

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
0302210835_HDR.jpg
My wife and I made basically the same trip last Nov from Alexandria, VA to Vancouver, WA with our 4 Maine **** cats. Our 2021Touring had 5 miles on it when we left and 2838, 5 days later when we arrived here. Had a hitch basket/cargo box and a Thule X Large Aero box on top. We gave that 4 cyl turbo a workout believe me! It was an awesome trip with no problems except we're still figuring out the tech in the Ascent.We're old though so thats to be expected.😂
Well, I guess we'll need to get PC cats next time. What a world. Maine C cats though are awesome and big! That's the maine reason, no pun intended, we got the larger Ascent. They love it! And so do we.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts