1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't mind Apple Maps, but I may or may not appreciate Waze for certain... notifications... :D :D :D

On a more serious note, I like the clean look of Apple Maps. Waze, on occasion, will freak out on me when there's a ton of traffic. It will want me to zig zag through side streets adjacent to a major highway going home when there's traffic. The problem is that there's also traffic on the side streets, but because more people are reporting traffic/slow downs on the main highway, Waze doesn't like it.

I live outside the Northern NJ/NYC metro area, so I have like 3 main ways to get to/from work, and I wish I could force Waze to show me those three routes. Instead I kind of just look at them and take an educated guess. I can usually infer that the main route is bad if it has me doing anything other than the main road itself for most of the trip. The problem is, for example, I can't force it to show me the Garden State Parkway or the NJ Turnpike, for example. Only my top three perceived "quickest" routes appear. Sometimes I'm willing to save time or lose a minute and do the Turnpike thing if it means avoiding heavy urban traffic.

Perfect case of this: It's about 10 miles to work. On an ideal day, like leaving for work at 5 AM, I can be there in about 20 minutes. But, in traffic at 4PM, I see that same route in reverse is normally around 25-30 minutes. But if I see it at 30+ minutes, I know something's going down and getting worse, but I can't really peek over to the NJTP and see if that's around the same thing. In my experience the urban traffic is usually "under"estimated about 5 minutes or more.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I dislike Apple Maps and strongly prefer Google Maps with a second choice of Waze. It's sad the Apple Maps doesn't even call itself "Apple Maps" on its own icon, as I'm sure it's to create confusion for iPhone users to think they're opening Google Maps... trying to sucker us into using an inferior app.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't mind Apple Maps, but I may or may not appreciate Waze for certain... notifications... :D :D :D

On a more serious note, I like the clean look of Apple Maps. Waze, on occasion, will freak out on me when there's a ton of traffic. It will want me to zig zag through side streets adjacent to a major highway going home when there's traffic. The problem is that there's also traffic on the side streets, but because more people are reporting traffic/slow downs on the main highway, Waze doesn't like it.

I live outside the Northern NJ/NYC metro area, so I have like 3 main ways to get to/from work, and I wish I could force Waze to show me those three routes. Instead I kind of just look at them and take an educated guess. I can usually infer that the main route is bad if it has me doing anything other than the main road itself for most of the trip. The problem is, for example, I can't force it to show me the Garden State Parkway or the NJ Turnpike, for example. Only my top three perceived "quickest" routes appear. Sometimes I'm willing to save time or lose a minute and do the Turnpike thing if it means avoiding heavy urban traffic.

Perfect case of this: It's about 10 miles to work. On an ideal day, like leaving for work at 5 AM, I can be there in about 20 minutes. But, in traffic at 4PM, I see that same route in reverse is normally around 25-30 minutes. But if I see it at 30+ minutes, I know something's going down and getting worse, but I can't really peek over to the NJTP and see if that's around the same thing. In my experience the urban traffic is usually "under"estimated about 5 minutes or more.
Yep... waze isn't perfect, but you got to love those helpful reports by other users :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
With the addition of Waze, it will be just one more reason to skip the OEM Navigation in the Ascent and save some money.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dislike Apple Maps and strongly prefer Google Maps with a second choice of Waze. It's sad the Apple Maps doesn't even call itself "Apple Maps" on its own icon, as I'm sure it's to create confusion for iPhone users to think they're opening Google Maps... trying to sucker us into using an inferior app.
LOL....easy on the hater-ade on Apple Maps. :grin:

Veering off the topic for a little bit...

As much as I agree with you that I prefer Google and Waze before I use Apple Maps on my device....I submit that I think the reason for them labeling it "Maps" and not "Apple Maps", is because its their native app for iOS.

Out of curiosity though (since I'm not an Android user), how is Google Maps labeled on Android devices? Does it say Google Maps or just Maps?

·
Registered
292 Posts
With the addition of Waze, it will be just one more reason to skip the OEM Navigation in the Ascent and save some money.
If I am not mistaken CarPlay only comes with the OEM navigation option.
Based on all the reviews I've seen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto come with all trims.

I'm with Sparkland - I couldn't care less about the OEM navigation system and the "upgrade" Harmon Kardon sound system. I won't use the TomTom navi and the HK sound system was VERY underwhelming.

I am paying for both simply because I really want the panoramic roof and Subaru won't give me another option to get it.

·
Registered
292 Posts

As much as I agree with you that I prefer Google and Waze before I use Apple Maps on my device....I submit that I think the reason for them labeling it "Maps" and not "Apple Maps", is because its their native app for iOS.

Out of curiosity though (since I'm not an Android user), how is Google Maps labeled on Android devices? Does it say Google Maps or just Maps?
Google Maps icon on Android phones look the same as it does on the iPhone (or at least very similar).

(I have both a Samsung S7 and iPhone 7)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wase doesn’t work well in the Chicago area. It usually has me zig-zig diagonally through side streets (Chicago has a grid layout) which is annoying to do, and has me cross busy streets with no traffic lights. It also tries to take me into streets that are closed. Give me Apple Maps or Google Maps any day.

Apple Maps has gotten a lot better in the past few years, in fact it often is more up to date on street closures. If I’m using navigation I’ll usually check my route on both and see which one is better. If they’re the same route I’ll go with Apple Maps because I like the Apple Watch integration (notifies you of upcoming turns with a buzz & sound).

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wase doesn’t work well in the Chicago area. It usually has me zig-zig diagonally through side streets (Chicago has a grid layout) which is annoying to do, and has me cross busy streets with no traffic lights. It also tries to take me into streets that are closed. Give me Apple Maps or Google Maps any day.

Apple Maps has gotten a lot better in the past few years, in fact it often is more up to date on street closures. If I’m using navigation I’ll usually check my route on both and see which one is better. If they’re the same route I’ll go with Apple Maps because I like the Apple Watch integration (notifies you of upcoming turns with a buzz & sound).
Yup, that's my experience in the northern NJ cities too. It loves the idea of taking me off the main highway route and having me drive through a bunch of side streets with stop signs and gridlock. I can't imagine it saves any time.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
I don't care about Waze, but Google Maps is a must.
Apparently, that will never happen on iPhones (though there's a convoluted way to get it to start and display on the CarPlay equipped infotainment systems), but, it works exceedingly well on Android and with CarPlay to the new Subaru Infotainment systems.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Well, I'm also excited for Google Maps and Waze on Carplay. I usually go with Google Maps for local nav and Waze for long road trips with the alerts for police. I was actually thinking about switching to an Android for the Ascent prior to yesterday's announcement. Not having to change feels great.

Reactions: husker_soze

·
Registered
245 Posts

Google Maps icon on Android phones look the same as it does on the iPhone (or at least very similar).

(I have both a Samsung S7 and iPhone 7)
Google maps has the the Google icon on an Android device.
The question I was asking is what is the label/description of the Google Map app on an Android device?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
The question I was asking is what is the label/description of the Google Map app on an Android device?
Maps. On an iphone, Google maps is labeled as Google Maps. But on an android phone Google Maps is just Maps below the google maps icon.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
It's labeled just "Maps" and looks like this or a square variant on older Android versions.

One can make location/navigation shortcuts though, which launch Maps/Nav to a specific location. Their names will vary depending on location and choices.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts