Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in out Ascent today, and Waze is gone! Google Maps came up on the screen, and Pandora as well. Waze seems to be gone entirely, even when I open it on my phone, it isn't an option on the screen. It is the same phone I have been using for months. Anyone else? Solution?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Ditto. Working for me
If you’re using CarPlay check settings>General>CarPlay>Subaru>customize
Make sure Waze hasn’t been turned off

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Please disregard previous. I'm learning that the head unit's software is apparently linked also to the maps database. I'm downloading as a package to a USB drive and will update the car that way. The Subaru-maps website tells me "REL_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA" is the latest version for my VIN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am
I just checked and Waze works for me. You didn't specify if you are using CarPlay or Android Auto.

I have iOS 13.4 (current)
and my head unit is on Rel_UA.19.36.70 (current)
Thank you for the replies, this at least gives me a place to start.

I am using Android Auto.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I did have it where (on the Camaro SS convertible I was renting while in Hawaii) that for a while Amazon Music wasn't showing on the Android Auto menu. After restarting my phone, and reconnecting, it did reappear.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I am

Thank you for the replies, this at least gives me a place to start.

I am using Android Auto.
There are generally TWO possible causes:
  1. Waze not logged in/no longer logged in.
    There are a couple ways of fixing this. This method seems to work with all versions of Waze and Android Auto.
    On your phone, while (a) it is NOT connected to your car in ANY way, and (b) Waze, Android Auto, and Google Maps are not running, open Waze. Ensure it's logged into an account. If it is logged in, skip to #2 below. If not, then, log in or create an account, and then log in. Exit Waze, KILL Waze, restart Waze, and verify it's logged in.

If Waze does not reappear on the Android Auto Apps screen, then proceed to the next step.

2. Waze removed from the Android Auto screen for other reasons.
    THIS one is a bit different depending on Android Auto and Android version combinations.

If you do NOT have Android 10, then, open Android Auto on your phone. Go into settings, and choose "Customize Launcher" (or similarly labeled option). Find Waze, and make sure it's checked.

If you DO have Android 10, then, connect to your car, start Android Auto, go to the App Launcher on the car screen, hit "Settings" and find "Customize Launcher" (or similarly labeled option). Find Waze, and make sure it's checked.

Let me know if it's helped.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Please disregard previous. I'm learning that the head unit's software is apparently linked also to the maps database. I'm downloading as a package to a USB drive and will update the car that way. The Subaru-maps website tells me "REL_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA" is the latest version for my VIN.
It should fix a few of the other quirks you've experienced, and, after the update, if you connect the car's Updater WiFi to your home wifi, it will allow you to check for updates, and update automatically or manually.

Also, once you've done this update, re-update your map regions via WiFi. If you cannot click "Check for Updates" then your WiFi signal isn't strong enough.

I did a little video on the topic right here:

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Thanks, Robert. I had the WiFi update option before...I just never took the time to let the car idle in the driveway to do it. What seemed strange to me was the head unit itself would say that its software was current. But the navigation component reported the map updates available. As it gives a different version number for the head unit and the map updates, I took that to mean that our car had the most recent version of the head unit software, and only the maps were out of date (less of a big deal to me). But it seems that they're somehow comingled.

I was able to update the whole shooting match with a USB stick...I figured I'd rather download the payload without burning dinosaurs and just run the engine to update the software. The update took about 15 minutes to complete fully.

Interestingly, Android Auto seems to think the car is a new device now, and I couldn't get it to connect at all on a short drive tonight. I'll have to play with that again later.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Interestingly, Android Auto seems to think the car is a new device now, and I couldn't get it to connect at all on a short drive tonight. I'll have to play with that again later
Remove the phone from the car settings and the car from Android Auto and start again, and all should be fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
WAZE Sleep Mode

I have used WAZE in three different vehicles I have owned, plus numerous rental cars.

For a time, on my 2019 Ascent, there were some start-ups when CarPlay failed to connect (the HK head unit didn't recognize my iPhone, though all the settings on the phone and Ascent were correct). Shutting off the Ascent and waiting about 5 minutes to re-start usually fixed that problem.

That problem has disappeared, but a new one has recently appeared. Occasionally, WAZE will fail to connect on startup. For some reason, when I turn on my iPhone and access WAZE, it says WAZE is in "Sleep Mode." "Waking up" WAZE clears that problem.

On other occasions when WAZE isn't "sleeping," it will fail to connect. The solution for that problem is to disconnect the Lightning plug from the iPhone and reconnect it. That has worked for me every time.

These bugs have been most frequent just after Apple has updated my iOS.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
On other occasions when WAZE isn't "sleeping," it will fail to connect. The solution for that problem is to disconnect the Lightning plug from the iPhone and reconnect it.
What do you mean by Waze failed to connect?

I’ve see Waze get stuck in standby mode producing a blank map on CarPlay but once CarPlay connects to your head unit any apps that are enabled are also connected. The quickest solution I’ve found for the blank map in Waze is to swipe Waze away on the multitasking screen to close the app then open it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.