Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner's manual for my 2020 Ascent Limited says not to wax the headlights or taillights. Various car detailers online not only say its safe to wax your headlights, but recommend it to protect them.

Does waxing the Ascent's headlights harm them?
Is it not recommended because the wax may not buff clear?
If so, is using a wax that buffs clear fine?
If wax isn't appropriate, how should I protect my headlights?

I want to wax my headlights when I wax the rest of my car 2-4 times a year with Collinite 845. I am unwilling to put in all the work necessary to keep it showroom ready. I just want to prevent my car from deterioration from lack of maintenance. I'm fine if it doesn't look brand new 10+ years from now, and only looks good for its age.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The owner's manual for my 2020 Ascent Limited says not to wax the headlights or taillights. Various car detailers online not only say its safe to wax your headlights, but recommend it to protect them.

Does waxing the Ascent's headlights harm them?
Is it not recommended because the wax may not buff clear?
If so, is using a wax that buffs clear fine?
If wax isn't appropriate, how should I protect my headlights?

I want to wax my headlights when I wax the rest of my car 2-4 times a year with Collinite 845. I am unwilling to put in all the work necessary to keep it showroom ready. I just want to prevent my car from deterioration from lack of maintenance. I'm fine if it doesn't look brand new 10+ years from now, and only looks good for its age.

What do you all think?
I haven't done much yet but wipe them down with 303 Protectant, which should give some UV protection. I have a bottle of Meguiar's Keep Clear, but I havnen't applied it yet. I actually bought it for a different car. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4RVVX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've always waxed mine. Never thought of using 303. I buy 303 buy the gallon, great stuff.
Looking for more input on this subject. Is one better?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Waxes and other automotive paint care protects can contain harsh chemicals which can dull or haze clear plastic over time, so yes, they should not be used on headlights or taillights. If you wish to provide protection for such plastic parts use Plexus, which is guaranteed safe for all plastics.

Also, you can cover your headlights with paint protection film. This is sold in bulk or you can buy a kit for a specific car where the sections are pre-cut. Here are such kits for the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You can apply wax on your headlight but it wont seal anything because it's impervious and smooth. Generally, people put a clear film over them.

Plastic headlights have protective spray over them, like a polyurethane clear, to prevent wear from radiation (e.g. UV ray) and physical damage (e.g. road debris). Theorically, you can apply more clear over it but you have to sand it down using 600-800grits before applying.

·
Registered
542 Posts
To anyone considering paint protection film, its probably one of the more challenging headlights because the LED DRL section is raised, and it dips before the raised section. I'd recommend doing it on a warmer day so the PPF is more flexible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts