Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband enjoys kayaking. With our old car he simply put his car keys in his lifejacket pocket.
Now with the Ascent he needs to protect his fob from water.

How do you handle this?

I called Subaru and they replied that no one had asked the question before. Huh? They said under no circumstances to lock the fob in the car or even use a hitch safe. Turning off the fob was not advised. They also stated he should not remove the battery. They could only suggest finding a waterproof case.

Is there a product that any of you use that is really waterproof? A day at the shore could cost big bucks if the fob gets wet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My husband enjoys kayaking. With our old car he simply put his car keys in his lifejacket pocket.
Now with the Ascent he needs to protect his fob from water.

How do you handle this?

I called Subaru and they replied that no one had asked the question before. Huh? They said under no circumstances to lock the fob in the car or even use a hitch safe. Turning off the fob was not advised. They also stated he should not remove the battery. They could only suggest finding a waterproof case.

Is there a product that any of you use that is really waterproof? A day at the shore could cost big bucks if the fob gets wet.

Thanks!
Leave the key fob in the car and use the PIN code access.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...scussion-forum/2281-pin-code-programming.html

See the video in the 4th post on how to set it up.
When you need to unlock the car, you don't need the key - just tap the pin numbers onto the lock button and good to go.

·
Registered
495 Posts
ziploc freezer bag and proceed like you have in the past.....

...when i was in the finance office, they tried to get me for some protection on the fobs....good for 2 fob replacements a year...was a couple hundred bucks for like 5 years....i passed

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dropped the fob

...in a lake and picked it up immediately. It just worked with no issues. That said don't drop it in a lake. Probably in your lifejacket pocket it will be fine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
When canoeing all my electronics get disassembled and soaked in SpeedX oil. This way i don't have to bother using zip lock bags and easier to use my GPS out of the bag. I usually take my Yukon when canoeing so that key fob electronic board has been soaked in SpeedX.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is one of the irritating things about how Subaru does trim levels instead of more options. Without the "push-button start" thing with the fob, you could just have your local hardware store cut a bare metal key, and take that on the water with you while leaving the regular electronic one locked in the glovebox. But if you have to get PBS to get other features you want, you're stuck with the stupid fob. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is one of the irritating things about how Subaru does trim levels instead of more options. Without the "push-button start" thing with the fob, you could just have your local hardware store cut a bare metal key, and take that on the water with you while leaving the regular electronic one locked in the glovebox. But if you have to get PBS to get other features you want, you're stuck with the stupid fob. Drives me nuts.
Or you could just use the pin code feature and leave the FOB in the car. I set mine up, and works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts