Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve noticed our Ascent dripping some sort of water/liquid from the left exhaust wheel base. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?

·
Registered
685 Posts
We’ve noticed our Ascent dripping some sort of water/liquid from the left exhaust wheel base. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?
This is the same normal as any vehicle. You should look closely sometimes. I have seen a 1/4 cup come out of both exhausts on a Charger leaving a light.

·
Registered
235 Posts
From your description, it might possibly be the condensate drain for the rear A/C system. I noticed something like this when they brought the pre-production Ascent to a dealer near us. The car had been running for a bit and I asked where the water from the left wheel near the exhaust was from and they said it was the A/C drain.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I should have asked front or rear. Front would be the A/C (as stated previously) If it's the rear, then it is a weep hole for exhaust condensation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick response. It is coming from the left rear exhaust. Pretty much noticing it when the AC is running. Should we be concerned if it still continues to drip even with the AC off?

·
Registered
685 Posts
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick response. It is coming from the left rear exhaust. Pretty much noticing it when the AC is running. Should we be concerned if it still continues to drip even with the AC off?
No, do not be concerned. H2O is a natural-chemical by-product of both combustion and a natural condensation that happens in reference to dew point. This happens in all vehicles. Some exhausts are designed better than others. My 2000 XJ Cherokee will belch water out the pipe and also had a weep hole for the main muffler. If you started it and idled on a moist morning...water would drip out of both...the weep after shut down.

Some cars never show either because the combustion efficiency and exhaust systems are B or C grade and you never see it. The exhaust just rusts out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a second AC condenser near the left rear. With the Ascent, there will be two AC drop spots, including the left rear near the exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a second AC condenser near the left rear. With the Ascent, there will be two AC drop spots, including the left rear near the exhaust.
So helpful. Thanks everyone! We’re noticing more and more water dripping. We’re going to bring it in just to make sure. I’m sure you guys are right. Just don’t know how much is too much that we have to worry about it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Combustion of gasoline produces CO2 and Water. Some exhausts have drain holes at the low points to keep water from collecting. This helps keep those low spots from rusting due to moisture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Ascent is leaking from the exact same spot and I was just wondering because it seems like water is kinda piled up in there because when I move the body piece around slightly more water comes out is there a way to release oall of it just because sitting water on cars in my experience equals rust

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 2019 Ascent is leaking from the exact same spot and I was just wondering because it seems like water is kinda piled up in there because when I move the body piece around slightly more water comes out is there a way to release oall of it just because sitting water on cars in my experience equals rust
I don't think this will be a problem. My previous car, a Subaru Tribeca, which I had for 11 years also had a second AC unit in the rear. It drained in the same area as the Ascent and I never encountered any rust in that area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So helpful. Thanks everyone! We’re noticing more and more water dripping. We’re going to bring it in just to make sure. I’m sure you guys are right. Just don’t know how much is too much that we have to worry about it.
Just curious what you found out. I have a 2019 Ascent and have been noticing this lately.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There are AC components (or system), evaporator coil and fan, located at the left side of the cargo area. The system takes the hot/humid air from inside the cabin and expel the condensation to outside. There should be another condensation drain line somewhere under the car near the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.