Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After heavy rains we are getting water underneath the front passenger seat of our Ascent. We do have a moonroof, but it (and the windows) have been closed.

The water gets in when the car is sitting in the driveway, so I don’t think it is coming from underneath.

I have only been able to find water on the floor underneath the seat, the foot space for both the front seat and rear seat passengers seems to be dry.

I don’t see any evidence of water higher up in the cabin. The ceiling, glovebox, center console, walls, seats, etc. all seem to be dry.

After some particularly heavy rains, I have been able to hear the water sloshing around. I really don’t think it is the AC though since the leakage seems to follow rain and not driving with the AC going.

I spoke with our local dealership, the guy there seemed to have no idea what the issue might be and suggested they would have to start taking about panels, removing carpet, etc. - which sounds like some very expensive sleuthing.

I am wondering if anyone here has had, or heard of, a similar issue.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
Agreed. One of these two were my first two guesses...

I am going to guess that the airbox drain is plugged. Or at least that the point of entry is through the cowl. Get out your garden hose and it won't take long.
There's also the chance that the drains around the moonroof seals are plugged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

I’ll look into the airbox. I poured some water into the moonroof gutters and it seemed to drain okay (water went down then came out under the car).

so, any advice on clearing a clogged airbox? I’m not certain what I’m looking for.

Also, the car lives outside under trees, so all sorts of debris fall on the car, so a clog makes sense.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,440 Posts
Hi All,
After heavy rains we are getting water underneath the front passenger seat of our Ascent. We do have a moonroof, but it (and the windows) have been closed.

The water gets in when the car is sitting in the driveway, so I don’t think it is coming from underneath.

I have only been able to find water on the floor underneath the seat, the foot space for both the front seat and rear seat passengers seems to be dry.

I don’t see any evidence of water higher up in the cabin. The ceiling, glovebox, center console, walls, seats, etc. all seem to be dry.

After some particularly heavy rains, I have been able to hear the water sloshing around. I really don’t think it is the AC though since the leakage seems to follow rain and not driving with the AC going.

I spoke with our local dealership, the guy there seemed to have no idea what the issue might be and suggested they would have to start taking about panels, removing carpet, etc. - which sounds like some very expensive sleuthing.

I am wondering if anyone here has had, or heard of, a similar issue.

Thank you!
Blocked / clogged moonroof drains

·
Registered
33 Posts
Invite for misapplied water barrier inside the door. We had a rattle looked at in our pass door and after that found water in the passenger side footwell after a heavy rain. After some pulling teeth the ripped water barrier was replaced while the dealer was still trying to fix the door rattle. Now it does not leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts