Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Ascent was purchased Aug 2019. Yesterday, after parking the car outside at work (no trees) for a day, got in car, started driving and noticed that water was pouring as small streams and dripping fast from the top overhead unit (where the overhead lights, Forward collision switch, lane departure switch is, unit connected to the eyesight cameras). Water dripped on driver's head, driver seat , and the passenger seat, making the seat wet as well. The head liner is soaking wet around the overhead top unit (behind and connected to Eyesight cameras).

When we press the break, the water came more from that overhead unit! We have underground parking where we live, but are work, its left outside next to a building.

Today it is sunny in Vancouver, as we drove the car, a few drops of water came down still. I took a picture today, you can see where that water drop is from around the Forward collision button. Yesterday, the water was streaming from all the seams around the buttons, reading lights! ?

What is happening!? We booked an appointment next Tuesday with the Richmond Subaru here in Vancouver Canada. Really hope this can be rectified. Sigh...... we are bummed that Subaru has this water leaking problem. The service rep said yesterday she recieved a water leaking call as well! Man it's hard to swallow when you pay over 50K CAD for a brand new car and have to deal with this nonsense. Dealership also can't offer Courtesy car!! Very frustrating.

Anyone had similar leaking experience in their Ascent around the overhead unit?

Thanks
Grlr

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
360 Posts
I see you have a sunroof/moonroof, or whatever Subaru calls it. That would be the first suspected source of the leak. Have you ensured it is fully closed? Not having one on my Ascent I don't know if water can intrude toward the front and find it's way forward to the location it's leaking from, but it's worth checking. Were you parked on a downward slope during the rain? If the sunroof is securely closed, you could also have someone aim a hose onto the roof and see if the sunroof is leaking. Regardless, I suggest you take it to the dealer, whether you are able to diagnose the issue or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you have a sunroof/moonroof, or whatever Subaru calls it. That would be the first suspected source of the leak. Have you ensured it is fully closed? Not having one on my Ascent I don't know if water can intrude toward the front and find it's way forward to the location it's leaking from, but it's worth checking. Were you parked on a downward slope during the rain? If the sunroof is securely closed, you could also have someone aim a hose onto the roof and see if the sunroof is leaking. Regardless, I suggest you take it to the dealer, whether you are able to diagnose the issue or not.
Moonroof was fully closed. And we really hope that the dealership could find what is wrong with it and fix it timely...

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Moonroof was fully closed. And we really hope that the dealership could find what is wrong with it and fix it timely...
Did they check the front drain and drain tube elbow?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Our Ascent was purchased Aug 2019. Yesterday, after parking the car outside at work (no trees) for a day, got in car, started driving and noticed that water was pouring as small streams and dripping fast from the top overhead unit (where the overhead lights, Forward collision switch, lane departure switch is, unit connected to the eyesight cameras). Water dripped on driver's head, driver seat , and the passenger seat, making the seat wet as well. The head liner is soaking wet around the overhead top unit (behind and connected to Eyesight cameras).

When we press the break, the water came more from that overhead unit! We have underground parking where we live, but are work, its left outside next to a building.

Today it is sunny in Vancouver, as we drove the car, a few drops of water came down still. I took a picture today, you can see where that water drop is from around the Forward collision button. Yesterday, the water was streaming from all the seams around the buttons, reading lights! ?

What is happening!? We booked an appointment next Tuesday with the Richmond Subaru here in Vancouver Canada. Really hope this can be rectified. Sigh...... we are bummed that Subaru has this water leaking problem. The service rep said yesterday she recieved a water leaking call as well! Man it's hard to swallow when you pay over 50K CAD for a brand new car and have to deal with this nonsense. Dealership also can't offer Courtesy car!! Very frustrating.

Anyone had similar leaking experience in their Ascent around the overhead unit?

Thanks
Grlr
You are using the wrong dealer if they can not provide a loaner vehicle. If they do not have the loaner they should rent one for you. I fthey refuse call SOA and they will reimburse your rental. It is an easy fix and as Robert stated below it is probably the drain tube that is clogged. They will clean it all up and replace what headliner etc. has been damaged or stained.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they check the front drain and drain tube elbow?
Hi Robert,
We had our appointment today and they said they blew the drain and didnt find blockage. See the picture below... I am not sure what next steps we should take now - other than praying for the best result that it got fixed? If you see the wording, they said "unable to duplicate concern"... but they did blow the sun roof drain tubes.

Thanks for your help.
Grlr
20200204_223603.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,425 Posts
Write Subaru Canada and send them the full invoice and your pics.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hi Robert,
We had our appointment today and they said they blew the drain and didnt find blockage. See the picture below... I am not sure what next steps we should take now - other than praying for the best result that it got fixed? If you see the wording, they said "unable to duplicate concern"... but they did blow the sun roof drain tubes.

Thanks for your help.
Grlr
View attachment 3157
What did the dealer do to try and duplicate the leak? All I read was that they blew out the drain tubes. That is a possible fix but not a duplication process.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It could be that they blew out the drain tubes and cleared a blockage without really knowing it. It wouldn't take much pressure if it was just some dirt/debris/pollen. Report back if it happens again.

I had a 93 mustang with sunroof that would do the same thing. I parked it under a tree so pollen clogged the drain tubes. The gasket wasn't meant to prevent pooling water from entering so it would leak into the headliner and drip on the driver and passengers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wouldn't they have to actually check and see if that plastic connector is broken or disconnected in the drain system--I thought that was what was causing leaks, and if they just blew into the tube it wouldn't really check that the drainage system was intact and connected properly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts