Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After long trips in our RDX I would use the pressure washer to hose out the engine bay. I like to keep it relatively clean in there because it makes it more pleasant to work on and a little bit easier to spot leaks and other problems.

I'm not real familiar with Subaru, the engine and turbo. This is my first.

Are there any problem areas that should be avoided when using the pressure washer in this car's engine compartment?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I don't use one in the engine compartment. The TMIC fins will easily crush flat, and there's a lot of electronics in there.

I very carefully blow off the TMIC, then, for the rest, I rinse with a garden hose and regular hose attachment, followed by spraying with automotive all purpose cleaner (I am currently using GTechniq, but am not married to any particular one). I let that sit for a few minutes, then rinse and repeat.

Worked really well for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That's why I asked 🙂

I didn't consider that the cooler fins might get damaged. Good point!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I can't take the credit for that. Someone else taught me that, fortunately, before I took my pressure washer to it, lol!!! 😂 Saved me a bunch of problems.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Actually, after its first winter I’m impressed with how clean the engine bay has remained on our Ascent. We live in SE Michigan and the roads can be really nasty here in the winter. That full shield underneath does a good job of keeping most of the grime out.
If it were me, a degreaser and low pressure water (no more than a hose) on a cold engine would be as much as I would do. I made the mistake of using a pressure washer once and it cost me a new MAF, but that was in another car...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Not directly related, but reminds me of a mistake I made nearly 20 years ago. I was active duty in the Air Force and I was trying to sell my 2001 Ford Focus XTS. I took it to the local car wash (the one where you spray with the high-pressure wand) and cleaned that sucker. I even sprayed the engine compartment really well.

Once I was done, I returned to the base and parked it at the "Lemon Lot". (That's what we affectionately called the on-base lot for cars for sale by owner).

Within a day or so, I got a call from someone interested. I met them there and gave them the keys to test drive it. He was gone about 10 minutes, and when he returned he got out of the car and simply walked away and said the car drove like garbage and bucked and surged and he wasn't interested.

Anyway, long story short, when I used the high-pressure wand at the carwash, I had actually "pushed" water past the plug wire seal and water had accumulated around the boot of two cylinders. The mechanic pulled the wires, used a vacuum to remove the water, then a dryer to remove any remaining moisture. I bought new wires too, just in case! Ugh.

Car ran fine from that point on, and sold 2 days later to the same guy that was originally interested. Good Riddance! I HATED that car!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago I owned an Isuzu Rodeo. Loved that car but my wife didn't like the stick ("Life's too short," she said.) The dealer kept a steamer around (apparently) to stream clean the engine compartment. That service seems not to be a popular one to offer these days 🙂

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
My engine compartment is usually caked with mud, as you all can probably guess, from me doing things like this.

Doggie is, believe it or not, a statue. Coincidentally, it looks a lot like the dog the landlord takes care of (and it's been sitting in the garden area for years before the real doggie was even born). My cat and him (the real one of the doggies) adore each other. Some of the critters there look quite real, some look quite fake. The best part is when one of our yard bunnies decides to sit there, and I briefly mistake it for one of the fake bunnies, until it hops over to say hi, or hops away, lol!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Adorable!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts