Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my ‘22 in to dealer at 7am for first oil change/rotation today. Purchased in April, has 4600 miles. Dealer calls me up to desk, not smiling, “uh, oh,” I say, “what’s wrong?” Ascent has an oil leak, tech says. She says I didn’t see the oil on my driveway because it was dripping onto a shield. They Uber me home. I figure car back by later today or tomorrow. Tech calls me at 4pm. Needs a gasket, it is on back order. I say I am flying from LAX to Chicago Monday for Thanksgiving week. I won’t be able to pick car up until I get back. Tech chuckles a little and says if part comes in, she’ll call me in Chicago. I say, “oh, well, if it’s not ready when I get back, will you get me a car to drive?” She says yes, she’ll have a car for me to drive by Saturday after I return from Thanksgiving in Chicago. Is there a moral here? Maybe it’s “it pays to go to dealer for first oil change?” I doubt I would have given as much credibility about this to an oil change shop. Image is dealer photo they sent to my Subaru app. I don’t know what I’m looking at here, and I don’t really care. I just want my car back, fixed.
Font Automotive tire Metal Wood Auto part

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Premium 7 Passenger / Previous car: Outback 2013 2.5l Manual transmission 170K
168 Posts
It seems very strange to me that you were missing a gasket from the factory. Maybe they made a mistake and tried to be nice about it 🤔🤔🤔. Plus the gasket for the oil plug can be found absolutely in any normal auto store. I would ask a bit more about it. Also 5 quartz of oil would have leave some mark on your driveway (even if you have a shield) and your motor light would have blink like crazy if you were driving with no oil !!!!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
1,140 Posts
It seems very strange to me that you were missing a gasket from the factory. Maybe they made a mistake and tried to be nice about it 🤔🤔🤔. Plus the gasket for the oil plug can be found absolutely in any normal auto store. I would ask a bit more about it. Also 5 quartz of oil would have leave some mark on your driveway (even if you have a shield) and your motor light would have blink like crazy if you were driving with no oil !!!!
I think the picture is showing the area of the oil leak, not point out that the oil drain plug was missing, since they were changing his oil. I have seen a few oil pan leaks from misapplied gasket sealer.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think the picture is showing the area of the oil leak, not point out that the oil drain plug was missing, since they were changing his oil. I have seen a few oil pan leaks from misapplied gasket sealer.
I thought most of the gaskets on the new Subaru engines were not really gaskets at all, but as you say, "gasket sealer." They switched the process over to the robots, from humans, and they still cannot get it right. Hope it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I thought most of the gaskets on the new Subaru engines were not really gaskets at all, but as you say, "gasket sealer." They switched the process over to the robots, from humans, and they still cannot get it right. Hope it is an easy fix.
Subaru has been using liquid gaskets for probably close to 2 decades as have most manufacturers, but in some cases the sealer isn't applied correctly. There has been some cases where it was applied to thick and other where it wasn't thick enough to seal. That said, the sealer is specific to the place it is being applied, although some people choose to use an all-purpose gasket maker, dealers have to adhere to the Factory Service Procedure.

Back when I was rebuilding my Forester engine in 2009 or so I couldn't find the Three-Bond called for in the FSM, so I called Three-Bond directly and their service agent was able to track it down to a Harley Davidson Hi performance Gasket sealer available at any Harley Service shop. But noone else carried it or an equivalent, could I have used some permatex, probably but at that time that prospect was very iffy.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Maybe it`s that shiny gray strip that is crumpled up some what, it just does not look right to me.
I am pretty certain that is a heat shield, the only parts under the motor in that area that need to be sealed are the stamped steel oil pan and the cast upper oil pan assembly. It could be the timing cover seal as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my ‘22 in to dealer at 7am for first oil change/rotation today. Purchased in April, has 4600 miles. Dealer calls me up to desk, not smiling, “uh, oh,” I say, “what’s wrong?” Ascent has an oil leak, tech says. She says I didn’t see the oil on my driveway because it was dripping onto a shield. They Uber me home. I figure car back by later today or tomorrow. Tech calls me at 4pm. Needs a gasket, it is on back order. I say I am flying from LAX to Chicago Monday for Thanksgiving week. I won’t be able to pick car up until I get back. Tech chuckles a little and says if part comes in, she’ll call me in Chicago. I say, “oh, well, if it’s not ready when I get back, will you get me a car to drive?” She says yes, she’ll have a car for me to drive by Saturday after I return from Thanksgiving in Chicago. Is there a moral here? Maybe it’s “it pays to go to dealer for first oil change?” I doubt I would have given as much credibility about this to an oil change shop. Image is dealer photo they sent to my Subaru app. I don’t know what I’m looking at here, and I don’t really care. I just want my car back, fixed. View attachment 18991
My 2022 had same leak at first oil change, same explanation. While in service for fox found turbo boost/booster leak as well. Got car back after 22 days and was told first reported occurrence.

·
Registered
2022 Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: The Subaru service tech at dealer where I purchased the car new in April told me she would call me today to give me a status update and to arrange a loaner vehicle if mine was not ready. None of those things happened. I am not a casual Subaru owner, this is the second new Subaru I have purchased in five years and we still have the first one. I have responded to the tech's text from last Friday, I have emailed the dealership with the whole story, and I have emailed SoA with the story. Incidentally, this dealership is barely one mile from my home, but, we didn't buy our '17 Outback there five years ago because the salesperson (a male) was aloof and uninterested in us. Instead, we bought at a dealer 60 miles away approved for zero percent interest for five years over the phone and internet with no bank statements, check stubs, or anything. The car was waiting for us when we got there. My communiques were professional, but scathing. I will soon have two whole weeks of teacher winter break to follow up more on this. I hope the dealer, the tech, and SoA are ready for me. :)

·
Registered
2022 Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Tech at dealer told me it is a timing chain cover issue. Does that leak? I don't know. Good news; dealer gave me a loaner- '23 Outback (I think Premium model? No power front passenger seat, cloth-type interior). Anyway, things are looking up, but, I only got the loaner after becoming upset at no communication from dealer and asking about when my car would be done, etc.

·
Registered
2022 Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, here’s how things have gone with this process 11 days in:
It’s now a saga, sort of like “The Neverending Story,” but, I like to write and I’ve given the Readers’ Digest condensed version here:
11/18: take car for first oil change, dealer tech says they found oil leak in oil pan area (I had seen no oil on driveway) and needs a gasket that is on back order.
They want to keep car.
Later that day, tech calls me, says part will be a while. I say I’m flying from LAX to Chicago for Thanksgiving week and will they hold car until I get back. Tech slightly chuckles and says she’ll call me in Chicago on Friday 11/25 “if part comes in” and responds to my inquiry that, yes, they’ll give me a loaner car on Saturday 11/26 if car not ready.
11/26: I’m home from Chicago. No call ever came from tech. My job begins again on Monday 11/28, I need a car. I’m angry. I write to dealer and Subaru of America complaining about whole process. Time is running out to get a car in my desert community on a holiday weekend. I call dealer manger phone. He connects me to service. Service says they have a loaner car.
I go in to get it.
While there, I tell different tech that my Subaru Facebook and Forum groups say the gaskets are liquid and there shouldn’t be need for a part on back order for that. That tech calls someone and tells me it’s a timing chain cover (?). WTH?
I leave with the loaner.
11/29: Original tech has apparently heard from her boss and SOA, and calls me apologizing for not calling me about loaner. I tell that tech about the new timing chain diagnosis and why is it back ordered if the gaskets are liquid?
Tech says the Saturday tech was wrong, it’s not timing chain cover, it’s oil pan. I again say the gaskets are liquid , why back ordered?
Tech transfers me to service bay where actual mechanic tells me that, yes, pan gaskets are liquid, but, they need to pull exhaust and those gaskets ARE real gaskets and those are what is on back order.
CHEESE AND CRACKERS!
What kind of operation is my local dealer? Imagine if I’d gone to Jiffy Lube for first oil change. It would be double nightmare with dealer maybe blaming Jiffy Lube.
I have to really thank all of you who helped me sound informed and for letting me know about SOA, and for being a supportive car community.
It may be weeks before my car is ready. But, at least I know know the real story. 🙂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts