Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ascent is currently at the dealership as they continue to try and diagnose a couple issues, rumbling sounds from front end and squeaks/groans from back end. We took her in for the first oil change and mentioned our concerns about the noises at both ends of the vehicles.

After a couple hours they provided and loaner and said they'd have to contact Subaru corporate. 2 business days later they leave a message saying a coil is on order and they may have the vehicle back to us in 1-2 days. I figured the coil was for the rear, so I called to ask about the front end. The service advisor explains the coil is for the front end... well what about the back end? "Still working to diagnose the rear end noises... new model year issues, yada yada yada"

So I ask if they're planning to turn the car over when the coil is replaced like their message said... no. They're continuing to try and troubleshoot the issues on both ends of the vehicle (I told him the front end rumbling sounded like brakes) and would let us know what they come up with. I don't think we'll have our Ascent back this week, but the loaded Forester they loaned us is a decent consolation.

I'll provide an update on work performed and whether or not it makes a difference in case anyone is interested.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
If the part isn't available for a while, Subaru may be willing to authorize them grinding the tip of the existing coil to remove the pointed sharp edge that's cutting into the rubber ring it sits on and rubbing against the spring mount.

For the rear, they will likely check the strut top and strut mount, and may replace both. They should check the coil spring as well to make sure it's not sharp-ended either.

Looking forward to an update.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Our Ascent is currently at the dealership as they continue to try and diagnose a couple issues, rumbling sounds from front end and squeaks/groans from back end. We took her in for the first oil change and mentioned our concerns about the noises at both ends of the vehicles.

After a couple hours they provided and loaner and said they'd have to contact Subaru corporate. 2 business days later they leave a message saying a coil is on order and they may have the vehicle back to us in 1-2 days. I figured the coil was for the rear, so I called to ask about the front end. The service advisor explains the coil is for the front end... well what about the back end? "Still working to diagnose the rear end noises... new model year issues, yada yada yada"

So I ask if they're planning to turn the car over when the coil is replaced like their message said... no. They're continuing to try and troubleshoot the issues on both ends of the vehicle (I told him the front end rumbling sounded like brakes) and would let us know what they come up with. I don't think we'll have our Ascent back this week, but the loaded Forester they loaned us is a decent consolation.

I'll provide an update on work performed and whether or not it makes a difference in case anyone is interested.
any update?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay. The result of the first service appointment was spray all rear bushings with silicone spray on the front end of the vehicle and replaced spring in the rear... alignment also performed.

Things initially seemed better, but after a couple weeks both sounds (front and rear) returned... they rear creaking with a vengeance.

A month after the first service we took the vehicle back in and they replaced both rear strut mounts and springs. They also performed AWD transfer clutch break-in procedure per TSB 16120-19.

Things are now a lot quieter and seem to be resolved. Looking over the paperwork I guess I should ask the dealer why they performed an alignment for the first single spring replacement and not the second replacement of both side strut mounts and springs.

Anyways, I hope that is helpful to anyone experience a similar issue. If anything else arises from this "I'll be back".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.