Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't see it that way.
That's a really interesting theory. You're riding the steepest part of the depreciation curve but also get a newish car always that's under warranty. It sounds similar to leasing. Have you ever thought of just doing that?

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's a really interesting theory. You're riding the steepest part of the depreciation curve but also get a newish car always that's under warranty. It sounds similar to leasing. Have you ever thought of just doing that?
The problem with leasing for me is the limited mileage. By the time I pay for the extra miles over what they limit me to, I end up better off buying. The trade in on a lease is no where as good either for the equity. Dealer usually offers me several thousand dollars less on a trade in than I can get selling outright. For example; my last car, a 2015 Forester, the dealer offered me $9,000. It was in perfect shape, not even a rock chip on the bumper. I sold it on craigslist for $13,000 on the first day to the first contact. I had 3 that day offering to buy it. I guess I should have asked more? Ha!
Of course this means I have to have paid off the car first AND get the title from the lender into my hands. Lately, with CV-19, DMV is very slow doing anything. (Which I do not get; how so many businesses get away with using CV-19 as an excuse for slow or poor customer service.)

I'm sure if I were to really look at counting the pennies, owning for a longer period with the extended warranty would come out on top. But, considering I don't have to deal with anything other than picking out the next car in 4 years, I'm much happier as an owner. The days of wrenching on a car because I had to due to my income are over. I'd rather do other things than concern myself with fixing my primary transportation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did not opt for the extended warranty, but my reasoning is a little different. My wife has an 18 Forester Touring (50th anniversary edition) and I have the 20 Ascent limited. Since we are now both retired and also due to COVID we are not putting many miles on either vehicle. So in 3 years when my factory warranty is up it will be decision time;

Trade in both cars and get one that suits our needs at that time.

Sell one car and keep the other, again depending on need and mileage on the vehicles at that time.

Keep both cars and look at an extended warranty on the Ascent again depending on the miles at that point. Only because of the turbo and electronics.

I have time to think about it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
One would think buying the extended warranty and keeping the car for that duration would make the most sense, but everybody's got different needs, And you've got to go with whatever floats your boat. I opted for the 7/100 gold and I'm glad I did given the amount of issues I've had so far.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the reliabilty of a Japanese automobile. Subarus have been reliable. I had an Outback previous to the Ascent and it never had a single issue. This Ascent has the power drain rear hatch issue and the rubbing door seals on the doors, but those should be taken care of under Subie's TSBs. Other than that I haven't had any issues and don't anticipate any in the future.

I did buy an extended warranty however for my 2017 Ford F450. That beast has a diesel motor that's very complex with a fuel system that's very very expensive to fix. I use the truck to tow so it's worked fairly hard. To me in that situation it makes sense for an ESP. But for Subie? No way.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think TSBs cost money if you're out of warranty - I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I have 8-9k miles before I have to decide if I want to buy an extended warranty. My main concern is anything transmission related. My Outback had a torque converter replaced (under the Gold Plus Warranty) and the Ascent will probably be fine, but who knows? I've had the recalls done but my harness could still go bad at some point. The fact that Subaru stepped up and is covering the tranny for 10y/100k might've helped me seal the deal on not buying the Gold Plus. I only paid $800 for my Outback's Gold Plus, but I don't know what I'd pay here in CA for the Ascent - I think something like $2700?

Edit: I suppose since I had the chain slip recall performed, then even if my harness goes bad, the new programming will not let it cause any damage? Is that right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The problem with leasing for me is the limited mileage. By the time I pay for the extra miles over what they limit me to, I end up better off buying
I’m surprised by this. I think Subaru charges $0.15/mile for overage. If you were over 3k miles/year (which is a lot), it’s still only $1,350 in extra depreciation charges for a 3 year lease

if you buy and lost $17k in depreciation on your sale, over 3 years where you drove the same 15k/yr, that’s be $0.38/mile.

plus you pay full state tax for a purchase and only state tax for the depreciation on a lease. Some states do allow state tax reduction when you trade in your car, but if you are selling it private, you lose that option.

I’ve evaluated this many times. I’ve been glad I’ve leased my previous cars as my life needs have changed a lot over the last 3 vehicles I’ve owned. Hard to say if I will lease my Ascent which is in order right now. Still trying to figure that out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
...Edit: I suppose since I had the chain slip recall performed, then even if my harness goes bad, the new programming will not let it cause any damage? Is that right?
That's a very good question and one that AFAIK hasn't been answered. I believe there is a least one person who posted in these forums that they got stranded by a harness induced transmission failure after having had the TSB performed. If you have an affected SN, Subaru should have sent you a letter extending the warranty on the transmission to 100k miles.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I’m surprised by this. I think Subaru charges $0.15/mile for overage. If you were over 3k miles/year (which is a lot), it’s still only $1,350 in extra depreciation charges for a 3 year lease

if you buy and lost $17k in depreciation on your sale, over 3 years where you drove the same 15k/yr, that’s be $0.38/mile.

plus you pay full state tax for a purchase and only state tax for the depreciation on a lease. Some states do allow state tax reduction when you trade in your car, but if you are selling it private, you lose that option.

I’ve evaluated this many times. I’ve been glad I’ve leased my previous cars as my life needs have changed a lot over the last 3 vehicles I’ve owned. Hard to say if I will lease my Ascent which is in order right now. Still trying to figure that out.
I'll compare again in 3 years, but each time I buy I have them work up the differences and it ends up to be worth buying vs leasing.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts